Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steyr lg110FT vs steyr hunter 5

Steyr lg110FT vs steyr hunter 5

Hi guys I've had the pleasure to own my second lg110 but i always wanted the hunter 5 even though Im looking for a swap for my lg110 ft but i would like to know more about the hunter 5 please.

Atb

I have a Scout version but not the auto, the only slight criticism I have is around the mag system, you need to ensure the barrel is pointing down when you load or be aware the pellets can back out of the mag, not an issue when you are target shooting but could be annoying if using it for hunting, which going by the name of the rifle you would assume was its intended purpose. You could not preload the mag and carry it in a container or pocket and expect the pellets to still be in the mag.

You can also spend a lot of time reloading even the standard version, you can get 5 shots of very quickly.

Apart from that it works well and is a joy to shoot for me anyway.

If you have anything you want to ask please do.
    Don’t confuse luck with ability.

I own a Steyr LG110 High Power Hunting and Hunting 5 Scout and for me these are the best sporting air rifles available.In fact I wish I hadn't bought my HW100 and put the money towards a full length Hunting 5 .

Anyway with the Scout I get 137 shots per fill with a 9fps variation throughout(pellets straight from the tin).

Rifle fit and balance are perfect,I love the fact that not only is the barrel free floating,but the cylinder is too inside the stock.

5 pence size groups at 60 yards,with my LG110 giving under 3/8" at 55 yards.

As Dodger says the pellets can drop out of the magazines when not in the rifle,but seeing as they taper(effectively 'sizing' the pellet as it's fired into the barrel),you can push the pellet further into the mag with a golf tee or something and that will hold it.

HTH,
    Chris

JSB 5.51 are the loosest fit I've found, and I don't find them actually dropping out. They will shake out, though.

H&N FTT are a much tighter fit and they need firm pressure just to get them in to the mag.

Well over a hundred shots with an extreme spread of 9 fps, and more than half of them within 3fps.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger21 View Post
    I have a Scout version but not the auto
    Thinking about buying one. Have you fitted a silencer? If not, is it noticibly loud?

I use JSB 5.53 have no problem with pellets falling out.
    Just make sure you push them right home .
    Yes ido use a silencer on occasion, as the standard 5 does have a bit of a bark.
    Silencer I use is a dumpy Roedale calibre specific from Germany, a bit pricey, but it works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by banksy! View Post
    Thinking about buying one. Have you fitted a silencer? If not, is it noticibly loud?

I have fitted a silencer but you have to fit a ½” UNF adapter, I got a Steyr one from Steyr UK £20 plus post.
    I tend to shoot it without a silencer when target shooting, there is a crack but not as bad as some other PCP’s I’ve used.
    You could get the barrel threaded but there is not much overhang passed the cylinder but probably just enough, Steyr believe threading the barrel could affect accuracy, so I’ve been told.

How about accuracy wise which is more accurate out to 60 to 70 yards? Is it worth me selling or swapping mine for a hunter 5? The hunter 5 dose look a plain imo. But really quick 5 shots it's a advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by ags2k View Post
    How about accuracy wise which is more accurate out to 60 to 70 yards? Is it worth me selling or swapping mine for a hunter 5? The hunter 5 dose look a plain imo. But really quick 5 shots it's a advantage.

I’ve never own any other Steyr and of course it depends on the shooter but the Steyr has the edge on any other gun I’ve owned.
    I would expect it to be much the same barrel and accuracy that you get at present, I can’t see why it would be better.

I have to LG100's with the barley twist barrels and a standard length hunting 5

I find the trigger slightly better on the 100's, accuracy is on a pa,r fun factor the 5 has it. But I may sell as I bought on a whim

Gary
    ISP Airstream mk3 March F 2.5/25mml. Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 leupold 20/50 Steyr 2014 hft March x 5/50 MTR3 ISP Airstream MK3 March x 8-80 silver, fx impact m3 element helix Ripley AR4 blue Burris 8/32 Steyr 2014 hot all .177

Steyr hunting 5

I like the look of these, but not sure about firing pellets direct from the magazine into the barrel, only a small amount of wear could cause misalignment, any long time owners on here could say how they hold up to long term usage, air leaks, dropin accuracy etc? Im thinking the Phoenix mk2 might be a safer bet for quick follow ups, and its half the price.
    Regards, Mark.

Do a search on here. The Hunter five is a grey import and being a semi auto isn't currently legal to posses in the UK. Don't let the waffle of a few encourage you to buy something which is section 5.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    Do a search on here. The Hunter five is a grey import and being a semi auto isn't currently legal to posses in the UK. Don't let the waffle of a few encourage you to buy something which is section 5.
    You have to cycle the mag manually so is it still semi auto?

Hunting 5 ISNT in fact a semi automatic , just get the biathlon version, I.E. The original version .
    Thought you would of known that, just shows how people can get it wrong.
    Saying that, I don't know if Steyr do a Biathlon version of the Scout .
    I have both and they both work well , once you get used to the biathlon , which I had over a year, it's a breeze
    to use , no problems with the magazine on either model.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    Rob

The Hunting 5 is available in 2 versions not just the auto, the focus of this thread is the NON auto, so please don’t drag the thread into the legal-illegal debate.