Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What rifle?

What rifle?

At the risk of ending up starting a war... I'm thinking of buying another rifle. Last one I bought was around 14 years ago (S410K), prior to that was about 14 years before (HW77). Now looking at something that will have NV sat on it, and I've lost track of what's changed & who's got what these days.

So. What's currently on the market that is:
    Available new.
    PCP
    Sub 12 ft lb
    Magazine fed
    .177 (not likely to reduce the field with that criterion)
    Preferably sub £1k
    Regulated would be nice, but I don't miss it with the S410.
    Plagued as little as possible by design flaws or idiosyncrasies (or duff QC, for that matter).
    Ideally not too heavy - the NV is going to add a chunk anyway and since I won't be carrying an additional NV device (KISS), I'll be scanning fields offhand.

The ones I'd thought of looking at so far were another S410K (be nice to try something different though); HW100; BSA R10. What did I miss out? Anyone do anything with a Picatinny rail (or RIS if you prefer) as standard (to keep the overall sight height down)?
    Peter

You mention duff QC.....that rules out the BSA then
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

My worry is those ones alone will end up ruling all of them out!
    Peter

I would recommend a mk3 S200 with multi shot adaptor.Nice and light so ideal if you are putting NV on.Very accurate and very quiet with either air arms silencer or hw and you can always fit a huma reg from xtx to get more consistent shots and the whole package won't have cost a fortune.the magazines are nice and big even in .177 so easy to load and handle on dark nights and very cheap to buy spare ones.

I'd have a look at a HW100 mate. The anti double loading feature is godsend when fumbling around in the darkness with NV - and if you go for a carbine length, especially with an aftermarket lightweight cylinder on it, it'll be just as light as anything else out there for use with NV. Also, the low sitting mag will allow you to bolt a strip of picatinney rail across the top of the receiver without any grief at all.

Cheers, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

HW100
    You will be happy.

agree with the hw100kt.,German quality highly accurate

audiguypaul is offline Has been known to sneeze at mice
    If you like the s410 then try an s510, ive got .177 and .22 which has my nv on, and both are excellent, plenty of change from a grand and i think lighter than the hw100.

atb Paul

PS if you are ever up this way you are welcome to try mine and chuck some lead down the garden.

funkedup is offline Surely you can do better than that!!!
    HW100 with NV on, are you mad?

It will weigh the same as a small car

I wouldn't mind an AAS200 with multi shot adapter for NV but I like my Rapids too much

Also, I wouldn't mind trying all of these
    http://www.edgun.com/en
    http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/KalibrGun.html
    http://www.fxairguns.com/rifle/the-bobcat/
    Last edited by funkedup; 24-09-2014 at 09:34 AM.
    Wanted - Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical

Quote Originally Posted by funkedup View Post
    Wibble?

So... Should I just put it on the HW77 then?

I wouldn't mind an AAS200 with multi shot adapter for NV but I like my Rapids too much

Also, I wouldn't mind trying all of these
    http://www.edgun.com/en
    http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/KalibrGun.html
    http://www.fxairguns.com/rifle/the-bobcat/
    Hmm. That's another one in favour of the S200 then; I admit I'd dismissed them as single-shot and forgotten there was an adapter.

The bullpups look nice, but so far I haven't used a bullpup where the trigger wasn't compromised (admittedly none of them were air rifles though). I'd need to handle anything in person before making my mind up and finding a stockist could be interesting.

One daft question - can you decock an HW100? Ended up quite used to making the S410 safe (ish) before clambering over fences & the likes.
    Peter

You're talking MatchBox cars right?
    There's a near as brand new HW100 up at my local shop with a full length A&M cylinder on it that weighs a few pounds. I could shoot it like a pistol, and I'm hardly Mr.Universe.

To the OP:
    Yes the HW100 can be decocked, plus it also has a safety. Aftermarket mags are a pain in the arris in my opinion - the HW has the best mag system going, again, in my experience.

ATB - Craig

Another vote for the HW100 - best loading system out there.

On the QC front, Daystate have seemingly gone downhill with this too recently.

7.3lb in standard carbine form or 8.4lb in standard sporter form.

S200 5.8lbs

Lets not forget by the time you add the nv set up (which is usually heavy) when including the likes of doublers and illuminators could make an 8.4lb rifle more like 11lb not so good when mooching about all night with it.

7.3lb in standard carbine form or 8.4lb in standard sporter form.

S200 5.8lbs

Lets not forget by the time you add the nv set up (which is usually heavy) when including the likes of doublers and illuminators could make an 8.4lb rifle more like 11lb not so good when mooching about all night with it.
    Weight of which is mostly made up by the steel cylinder.
    A&M or ISP or a number of others, offer cylinders in aluminium and titanium, saving a chunk of weight as I originally said.

I owned a HW100 with a V-Mach cylinder and sporter stock, still found it heavy and would never have put NV on it. My opinion and each to their own. Some people like heavier guns.

There is no getting away from the mag system and cocking of the gun. also they are deadly accurate and quiet.

I also agree they they are a great gun and anyone buying one wouldn't be disappointed.