Thread: What rifle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What rifle?

At the risk of ending up starting a war... I'm thinking of buying another rifle. Last one I bought was around 14 years ago (S410K), prior to that was about 14 years before (HW77). Now looking at something that will have NV sat on it, and I've lost track of what's changed & who's got what these days.

So. What's currently on the market that is:
    Available new.
    PCP
    Sub 12 ft lb
    Magazine fed
    .177 (not likely to reduce the field with that criterion)
    Preferably sub £1k
    Regulated would be nice, but I don't miss it with the S410.
    Plagued as little as possible by design flaws or idiosyncrasies (or duff QC, for that matter).
    Ideally not too heavy - the NV is going to add a chunk anyway and since I won't be carrying an additional NV device (KISS), I'll be scanning fields offhand.

The ones I'd thought of looking at so far were another S410K (be nice to try something different though); HW100; BSA R10. What did I miss out? Anyone do anything with a Picatinny rail (or RIS if you prefer) as standard (to keep the overall sight height down)?
    Peter

You mention duff QC.....that rules out the BSA then
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

My worry is those ones alone will end up ruling all of them out!
    Peter

I would recommend a mk3 S200 with multi shot adaptor.Nice and light so ideal if you are putting NV on.Very accurate and very quiet with either air arms silencer or hw and you can always fit a huma reg from xtx to get more consistent shots and the whole package won't have cost a fortune.the magazines are nice and big even in .177 so easy to load and handle on dark nights and very cheap to buy spare ones.

I'd have a look at a HW100 mate. The anti double loading feature is godsend when fumbling around in the darkness with NV - and if you go for a carbine length, especially with an aftermarket lightweight cylinder on it, it'll be just as light as anything else out there for use with NV. Also, the low sitting mag will allow you to bolt a strip of picatinney rail across the top of the receiver without any grief at all.

Cheers, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

HW100
    You will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I'd have a look at a HW100 mate. The anti double loading feature is godsend when fumbling around in the darkness with NV - and if you go for a carbine length, especially with an aftermarket lightweight cylinder on it, it'll be just as light as anything else out there for use with NV. Also, the low sitting mag will allow you to bolt a strip of picatinney rail across the top of the receiver without any grief at all.

Cheers, Craig
    i've sold my HW100K as it was too heavy for long nights ratting with the scope and NV set up. weighed in at 12 lbs as opposed to 8lb odd with my BSA ultra multi. which is just as accurate and enjoyable. the hw100 didnt have any issues with double loading mags however, which the bsa does if you use the wrong pellet and rush on reloading the bolt! :-)

my friend has a custom R10 with shortened barrel, Hugget shroud, 11.5ft/lb and good shot count, and it weighs about the same as my ultra set up. thats the route i'd go now tbh. hw100 is a killer gun, but too heavy for long sessions lumping it round even with a sling.