Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Arms SPD Challenge

Air Arms SPD Challenge

I read about this in one of the magazines just before the GameFair and thought it sounded like a great idea (Speed, Precision and Distance): ten shots at eight targets as quickly as possible with an S510, five shots at five targets with a pistol - and then another five shots at long range with a springer. I had a go at the speed shoot last year at the Solware open day and took first place, so I thought I'd enter on Saturday and the MGF and try to beat my last years' winning time of 23 seconds.

Well I did - I knocked all eight over in 19 seconds, so I was well chuffed there.

If that wasn't enough, I've just had an email from Sheila at Air Arms, informing me that I came second in the whole event! I managed all eight, all five and missed three shots on the springer shoot (my own fault) and as such have won fifty quid! I'm absolutely made up.
    I'd love to have another go and will look forward to the next show where it will be taking place ( Stoneleigh?) The 'three airgun challenge' was definitely the most enjoyable shooting competition I've ever done and I hope something of a sport comes of it. Does anyone know if this was a one off, or are three gun challenges commonplace now? If so, where can I do it?
    If nothing else, it's a great excuse to buy two rifles and a pistol

Massive thanks all round to the organisers and especially to the blokes who were flat out on the range but still had time to shoot the breeze about 'pretty guns'.

Cheers, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Well done Craig ! i can lend you a good TX200 if you are out of practice with the springers ... Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    Well done Craig ! i can lend you a good TX200 if you are out of practice with the springers ... Gordon.
    Gordon, if that pretty rifle had been made 'right', I'd have snatched my nephews hand off for it - I've been after a nice MK2 TX for a while. Better dust off 'little b'tard' and get some practise in.

Cheers mate - Craig

Nice one, Craig.

Sounds like excellent fun and I'm sure the little 99 will excel at this discipline.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thank you mate. It really is a great competition, gets the adrenaline going when you're against the clock.

Wonder if we could replicate it at Mick's somehow....

Hi Craig

Glad you enjoyed it - it was myself and a couple of lads from Rochdale Airgun Club who were running it for air arms and yes it was mad busy but enjoyable - my feet are still aching!

I think it was Clare who came up with the idea and it certainly went down well with everyone there - I am pretty sure it will be run at the next few game fairs

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Thank you mate. It really is a great competition, gets the adrenaline going when you're against the clock.

Wonder if we could replicate it at Mick's somehow....
    It'd be great to be able to sort something along those lines-ish.

What sort of range was this shot at?

Off-hand standing only?

Mick hinted that the next Bash might be reverting back to just Springers, due to the lack of interest from "pure" PCP peeps (as opposed to peeps that have both springers and PCPs).

So, if it were to be a three discipline event, how about something along the lines of 5 shots at 50 yards (any position), 5 shots pistol at 10 yards, then 20 yards standing with the rifle again. It could be 5 or 10 shots at each discipline. Timing-wise, would it be that the shooter simply clears all targets, or would there be a time limit?

What you think, Uncle Mick and fellow Bash peeps?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

What you think, Uncle Mick

I think I should either return these glasses to Specsavers or my dyslexia is playing me up again --- From the thread title I thought Craig had entered some sort of botty burping competition run by AirArms.

And Yes, from the lack of response from PCP users at the last bash, we revert back to being principally a Boinger bash from now on but with PCPs welcome as well.

As you know I'm happy for folks visiting here to shoot any target discipline they like as long as it's done safely --- you just say what targets you need for the bash and I'll sort it.

All the best Mick

Nice one, Mick!

There you go Craigy boy, just give us some idea on what we'll need - target format, sizes etc.

Mick does it again -what an absolute star!!

Maybe anyone interested in this could all chip in a little cash to help Mick out with this?

Quote Originally Posted by proxistor View Post
    Hi Craig

Glad you enjoyed it - it was myself and a couple of lads from Rochdale Airgun Club who were running it for air arms and yes it was mad busy but enjoyable - my feet are still aching!

I think it was Clare who came up with the idea and it certainly went down well with everyone there - I am pretty sure it will be run at the next few game fairs

Steve
    Well, Steve thanks again mate. I'll be looking for it at other GameFairs now as I think it's a brilliant idea. Really hope something catches on from it too.

All the best - Craig

It'd be great to be able to sort something along those lines-ish.

What sort of range was this shot at?

Off-hand standing only?

Mick hinted that the next Bash might be reverting back to just Springers, due to the lack of interest from "pure" PCP peeps (as opposed to peeps that have both springers and PCPs).

So, if it were to be a three discipline event, how about something along the lines of 5 shots at 50 yards (any position), 5 shots pistol at 10 yards, then 20 yards standing with the rifle again. It could be 5 or 10 shots at each discipline. Timing-wise, would it be that the shooter simply clears all targets, or would there be a time limit?

What you think, Uncle Mick and fellow Bash peeps?
    The 'speed shot' part, is shot at knock down type targets from around five to thirty yards. You first shoot a green one, which starts the timer, then shoot the rest of the targets in whatever sequence you like until the last one drops, which stops the timer. Shot from a seated position with a PCP - this was the only timed part of the competition.
    The pistol part was five knockdowns. Shot standing, two handed grip allowed.
    The long range part was one target, shot standing five times with a springer - but resting on a hay bale - although I did see someone doing it prone, so perhaps that's in the rules too.

I suppose any concoction of the above ruling would make for an interesting day mate

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I think I should either return these glasses to Specsavers or my dyslexia is playing me up again --- From the thread title I thought Craig had entered some sort of botty burping competition run by AirArms.

And Yes, from the lack of response from PCP users at the last bash, we revert back to being principally a Boinger bash from now on but with PCPs welcome as well.

As you know I'm happy for folks visiting here to shoot any target discipline they like as long as it's done safely --- you just say what targets you need for the bash and I'll sort it.

All the best Mick
    If the title of the thread had read that, Mick, I wouldn't stand a chance against my missus at the moment

Really appreciate how you're considering making this a possibility, mate - very good of you.
    However, please don't break your neck trying to figure out how to rig up some sort of timed chain of knockdown targets. We could just do it with some knockdowns an honest bloke and a stop watch.

However, please don't break your neck trying to figure out how to find an honest bloke...

Cheers mate - Craig

The 'speed shot' part, is shot at knock down type targets from around five to thirty yards. You first shoot a green one, which starts the timer, then shoot the rest of the targets in whatever sequence you like until the last one drops, which stops the timer. Shot from a seated position with a PCP - this was the only timed part of the competition.
    The pistol part was five knockdowns. Shot standing, two handed grip allowed.
    The long range part was one target, shot standing five times with a springer - but resting on a hay bale - although I did see someone doing it prone, so perhaps that's in the rules too.

I suppose any concoction of the above ruling would make for an interesting day mate
    Cool, that sort of format would be nice and easy to replicate.

I'd say that, for more "grass roots" appeal that the final section should be not rested?

Maybe time all three disciplines?

Sounds like really good fun!

Cool, that sort of format would be nice and easy to replicate.

I'd say that, for more "grass roots" appeal that the final section should be not rested?

Maybe time all three disciplines?

Sounds like really good fun!
    Tons of options really, mate - all good fun and I'm more than happy to bring my 10 shot PCP for people to shoot the speed shot part with.
    I've just had my £50 cheque through the post actually - so I'm to treat my missus to whatever food craving she's having tonight

I've just had my £50 cheque through the post actually - so I'm to treat my missus to whatever food craving she's having tonight
    Not too long to go now, matey. Hope all's well.