Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stories of a wannabe reloader......

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Hi GF8 may I ask where you bought the press etc from. I'm just back from Florida and basspro didn't have the dies etc I was looking for and I didn't buy a press as I was worried about the weight of my luggage. I have a few dollars on a prepaid MasterCard so I would rather spend these than buy from Europe or uk. Cabelas seem to be charging 25% shipping and basspro 45%! Midway don't ship internationally from the USA site as they would rather you pay more from the uk site. Thanks in advance, if you've went to the trouble of researching where is best to buy gear at a reasonable price then I'll gladly take your advice.
    I'm not playing 'secret squirrel' but I'm not sure the BBS allows direct sales links for that auction site, but I can point you to the seller - so sending you a link by PM. Over and above sales price you should expect a touch under $100 for postage and pre-paid customs charges (those will vary depending on final sale price but given the history, it shouldn't exceed $100), so factor that into the price and you would still have yourself a bargain. The pricing I paid was $261 for the "RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit".
    Last edited by GaleForceEight; 28-09-2014 at 12:10 PM.

vasbyt.skollie is offline The impossible I can do, Miracles take time..
    Gf8 check out the targetmaster powder trickler as its a great piece of kit. I use mine with a Redding no2 accurised set of scales for a hand thrown charge every time. It's really quick when you get into a rhythm. http://www.targetmasteruk.com

keep reading

vasbyt
    Gas operative extraordinaire

Thank you Vasbyt,

Watching that video on the Targetmaster site, it looks an impressive piece of kit. And at half the price of the RCBS offering! I guess te cost savings come as it incorporates your existing balance beam scale turning it into an efficient semi-automated process.

The other bonus.... Made in Britain, and I will support that in preference to importing when comparing two otherwise similar pieces of kit.

They have also used the same concept as Glenn's suggestion earlier in this thread which is to add a 'light' throw into the pan and then accurately top up with the trickler system. I acquired a Redding trickler from that site the other day for a nominal cost. Now I am seriously considering this and relegating the manual trickler to 'backup' status.

Earlier in this thread I was a bit annoyed with the folks derailing it with deliberate boorishness, but I am so glad that folks have seen though that and gems of knowledge and information are coming out to assist not only myself but others who may be looking into the process. My faith in the BBS is restored!

I've read a few peoples' impressions of the Targetmaster system, bit the bullet and laid some cash down on one. Targetmaster have sent me a mail saying they are a few days behind due to workload. I'm not time critical so it's no issue - and even if it were, I have a feeling it would be worth the wait.

I have referred them to this site as the source of the order, thanks to VasByt.Skollie so expect them to be at least taking a look around. I'll be able to put a separate review of it up as and when I have used it (looking to the future).

Targetmaster are made by a member on here 1066.

brilliant bits of kit.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

vasbyt.skollie is offline The impossible I can do, Miracles take time..

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GaleForceEight View Post
    I've read a few peoples' impressions of the Targetmaster system, bit the bullet and laid some cash down on one. Targetmaster have sent me a mail saying they are a few days behind due to workload. I'm not time critical so it's no issue - and even if it were, I have a feeling it would be worth the wait.

I have referred them to this site as the source of the order, thanks to VasByt.Skollie so expect them to be at least taking a look around. I'll be able to put a separate review of it up as and when I have used it (looking to the future).
    You won't go wrong, (Allan from targetmasters handle on here is 1066 and he is a top bloke ).

I like the fact you use a balance beam as its inherently more accurate than any electronic scales.

Thats exactly what I do, throw a light charge, let the trickler do its bit. Whilst it's doing that, I seat the bullet from the previous throw. Simples . It's very quick once in the zone.

Vasbyt
    Gas operative extraordinaire

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by vasbyt.skollie View Post
    I like the fact you use a balance beam as its inherently more accurate than any electronic scales.
    Genius.

The fact I have never been able to match the single figure ES achieved with electronic scales using a balance (all sorts) is inherently wrong then?

All scales at the sensible end are subject to some sort of innacuracies or hissie fits, eletronic ones (a good set) are just a damned sight easier to get right.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Just a thought but there are a few other considerations regarding case cleaning and why bling may or may not have much use.

Why clean a case?

To stop wearing your expensive dies etc down with carbon being constantly ground into them (and then back into your chamber etc).

To allow you to more easily spot signs if Incipient seperation and over pressure (probably more difficult to spot on a clean case to be fair)

To improve you feed rate/action

To clean the case internally and its primer pocket/flash hole so that it functions consistantly every time

To just make it shiny (although there is anecdotal evidence that this may increase bolt thrust by reducing friction between the case walls and the chamber...alegedly).

Personally I use STM because it adresses pretty well all of the above, but you need to de cap first. If your cleaning regiem needs (or wants) a clean primer pocket and flash hole, you have to.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Any up date on this thread

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

I'm very interested in the 'TargetMaster' device, but since I emole the gentleman who makes it a while back - when this thread was in the news - I've never had a response.

Still interested though.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Most of all though, I love poking bits of crushed walnut-shell out of flash-holes: so relaxing!

All i can say to you and all those like you is GET OUT AND SHOOT MORE!!!!!
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    All i can say to you and all those like you is GET OUT AND SHOOT MORE!!!!!
    How rude
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

One bit of info for the likes of the OP should you like him/her wish to reload 8x57 cartridges and can't find many boxer primed cases. It is very easy to cut down and reform 30-06 cases into 8x57.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I do it this way round, too. I like to run shiny clean brass into my FL die.
    Most of all though, I love poking bits of crushed walnut-shell out of flash-holes: so relaxing!

This----^

Don't do dirty cases with abrasive primer grit in my FL dies.

Cheap Lee decapper in a dedicated press with a hollow ram is the way forward.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    This----^

Don't do dirty cases with abrasive primer grit in my FL dies.

Cheap Lee decapper in a dedicated press with a hollow ram is the way forward.
    ^^^
    That

Shiny cases shoot better