Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police visit

Quote Originally Posted by verminhunter
    The only thing the police officer can do to is take your gun,have it examined to match the pellets found in the cats,every barrel has a story to tell,so if you know yourself that it ain't you ,dont worry,gun will be returned back and you in the clear

but get a Combro first.....or the gun may not be returned.

Landswehr Guest
    FWIW I had exactly the same problem when I lived in Aberdeen. Some corvid carcasses had been found in the vicinity of my house and a wounded crow had been picked up and taken to a nearby vet for treatment some 80 yeards up the road.

The result was an overweight, testosterone-hyped and tooled-up Police Constable banging on my front door 9 O'clock one morning, complete with riot belt, pouches, truncheon, torch, flak jacket/stab vest, webbing and GPMG slung over his shoulder ...... (well, OK, the Gimpy's a fib - but the rest is spot-on) all for a house visit. I was going to ask him where his Humvee was, but thought better of it.

Being generally an upright and (then) a police-supporting citizen, I invited him in for coffee - which he declined - but then proceeded to stand in my kitchen, hands on hips, and grill me about what I owned, where I shot and why I was guilty of murdering an entire murder of crows. The overriding sense was one of assumption of guilt - my guilt. Presumably this was because I owned more than one air rifle and therefore had to be in the fruitcake department.

All I could realistically do was firmly deny his insinuations, as he didn't make any specific threats nor try to seize my equipment. However, when I applied for my FAC some 6 months later and had my initial interview, the FLO who came to my house had full written documentation about 'my' offence, and got quite exercised about it!

It took me nearly 2 months of legal threatening before they agreed to expunge the record. Obviously, the fat and useless plodster who'd bawled me out had written this up as a nice juicy firearms offence, so, be careful.

If I were you, I would write a polite but firm letter to your local senior plod (Sgt/Inspector) pointing out your complete innocence along with your abhorrence of such irresponsible behaviour. This way, if your portable SturmBannFuehrer tries to stitch you up back at the station, you at least have a record of a response and will cast some doubt on his account.

Just my thoughts.

Professor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Landswehr
    If I were you, I would write a polite but firm letter to your local senior plod (Sgt/Inspector) pointing out your complete innocence along with your abhorrence of such irresponsible behaviour. This way, if your portable SturmBannFuehrer tries to stitch you up back at the station, you at least have a record of a response and will cast some doubt on his account.

Just my thoughts.
    That would be a good move.

I suppose they have to keep records of possible intelligence leads, but they often create a negative picture of the innocent suspect. That's why the more sensible protest you make at the insinuation, the less credibility it has. I'd even address my letter to the Chief Constable, because it's more likely to be taken note of, even though it would never hit the Chief's actual desk.
    Last edited by Professor; 23-06-2005 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor
    That would be a good move.

I suppose they have to keep records of possible intelligence leads, but they often create a negative picture of the innocent suspect. That's why the more sensible protest you make at the insinuation, the less credibility it has. I'd even address my letter to the Chief Constable, because it's more likely to be taken note of, even though it would never hit the Chief's actual desk.
    Good points, but you'd probably have more success writing to the divisional Superintendant or Chief Superintendant. They're nearer to the sharp end and carry a lot of clout locally. Ring the station this guy is based at and ask who the supt or chief supt is and write to him by name. Maybe ask for an appointment and place your objections to him face to face.
    Old age is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Professor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by airgun nut
    Good points, but you'd probably have more success writing to the divisional Superintendant or Chief Superintendant. They're nearer to the sharp end and carry a lot of clout locally. Ring the station this guy is based at and ask who the supt or chief supt is and write to him by name. Maybe ask for an appointment and place your objections to him face to face.
    Right then. I'm not that familiar with the structure. Sounds like the way to go.

DJP Guest
    Essentially what's going to have happened here will be one of two things, either:

(i) Someone really has been shooting cats and someone's pointed the finger at you, or

(ii) Mr Nosy Neighbour has complained about your shooting (and the bit about the cats is BS).

Either way the police are obliged to follow this up, if only to keep the curtain-twitchers happy: They have to be seen to have spoken to you if there's any suggestion that you might have been involved. However, there's obviously no evidence against you - if there was you'd have been nicked already.

As for telling you not to shoot in your own backyard, we all know that's cr@p. But I can see why he said it: He knows it's not you but OTOH he's got Mr Nosybonk phoning up every five minutes complaining. He's just trying to find a solution that keeps everyone happy.

Like it says above: Your neighbour's the problem, not the police. Neighbours can be a PITA - you may have rights but you still have to live next door to them and sometimes it's less agro to just do your shooting at a club.

You could write to the local Superintendent, but really I can't see the point: You haven't been nicked, your guns haven't been seized and your rights haven't been infringed.

I'd chalk it up to experience and join a decent club (or just get a quieter gun!).
    Last edited by DJP; 23-06-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Landswehr Guest
    I entirely take your points Dave - but in my case, had I not followed it up, I'd have had a nasty black mark against my name with 'firearms offence' tagged to it.

Also, as in my case, the officer's attitude seems a little askew. A polite letter to his gov'nor can't do much harm and. assuming you keep a copy, can be waved as part of your defence if the Blue Trooper returns for round deux.

If it IS yobs shooting cats, then it's unlikely they'll stop because of one visit. If this guy's been fingered by the local constable, then he's going to be the obvious (and easy) mark for some heavy leaning in the future, guilty or not.

I'd want some lines drawn - preferably on paper.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by airgun nut
    That may well be the officer who would actually deal with your letter but in the first instance my advice is still to write to the Chief Constable. Who he/she delegates it to is up to them.

Gary C Guest
    ....blah blah blah because I owned more than one air rifle and therefore had to be in the fruitcake department.

You sure it wasn't the fact that you answered the door wearing a female SS officer uniform goosy shteppink to wagner with the local vicar dressed as a goat trotting behind you on a leash ??

Gary C Guest
    but on a more serious note, I wouldn't advocate fighting the police. Just do as suggested and work with the system, put it in writing as a concerned citizen. Probably even express your shock blah blh

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent
    If the Police had any reasonable grounds to suspect that you had committed this offence you would have been arrested. Once arrested your house can be lawfully searched and any evidence (or suspected evidence) of any offence(s) taken away.

As this didn't happen you clearly have nothing to worry about. However the Officer's attitude (as described) is appalling and does need addressing by way of a polite but formal letter to the Chief Constable.

If you don't want to bother with a letter for your own purposes, please do it for the sake of the sport.
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

shrendi Guest
    Often bad policing requires public ignorance, be aware of you rights and the first principle that you are innocent until fitted up That said if he was having a bad day don't make it worse, be polite but firm.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    You sure it wasn't the fact that you answered the door wearing a female SS officer uniform goosy shteppink to wagner with the local vicar dressed as a goat trotting behind you on a leash ??
    Honestly Gary I worry about you sometimes? Whats wrong with the vicar dressing as a goat-provided it was a billy goat of course-nothing queer about vicars!?

Landswehr Guest
    What worries me Nick, is that Roland (The Vicar in question) keeps feeding Gary this somewhat delicate information. God alone knows what Gary's stake is in this (but if Roly's two-timing me I'll scratch his eyes out!).

As for my choice of uniform, I would suggest to you that a fetching number in silk-lined black with silver accessories is rather more likely to pull a Vicar than a hairy ginger suit enhanced with sacking and blanco.

Anyway, I was labouring under the impression that this was a private arrangement .

Gary C Guest

Anyway, I was labouring under the impression that this was a private arrangement .

Oh the temptation... arranging Privates.. so many military and anatomical cheap shots available.. think I'm suffering from too many targets and can't pick one..