Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police visit

Landswehr Guest
    Do you really want a prize for spotting that deliberately placed free-shot?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    Oh the temptation... arranging Privates.. so many military and anatomical cheap shots available.. think I'm suffering from too many targets and can't pick one..
    That's what we like isn't it-a target rich environment!

I do not think you should leave it at that.

It should be responded to and to a senior level, but in a polite, rational way stating that the attitude of the officer was perhaps a little heavy handed.

Re-iterate that the rifle is available at any time to eliminate you from any enquiries and that it would actually be your preference.

Additionally, as you had not at any time broken the law, you are within your rights to continue shooting within the confines of your property and will continue to do so - unless the real story/issue is a neighbour complaining in which case, you cant do anything unles you know who it is and can speak to them rationally.

It may be worth asking the senior officer to confirm the incident or incidents of animal cruelty just in case the officer is "being inventive" or "colourful". This is not cricket.

You should definitely get the rifle checked power wise and bear in mind that the weapon can be shot with any weight of pellet so it must be set to make allowance for this.

I would also speak to any other user who may have access to the rifle to give them the opportunity of coming clean - just in case a forensics test comes up with a result you were not expecting !!!!

On another note, If you are approached by a neighbour in a hostile way, be calm and pleasant and smile etc. I have a few friends that have towed the PC line of Guns are Bad etc... but I talked them into having a go with a CO2 pistol I used to have.

ALL of the people who tried it found it to be enjoyable and great fun. It also brought out that competitive spirit hidden deep inside all of us.......I eventually sold it to a friend and his wife. The wife was a real nose wrinkler when offered to try but turned out to be an excellent shot and really loved it.........Non so queer as folk eh !

Got to give people a taste so they know what they are missing.

Hi guys

Thanks for all the information and support i will try to make up my mind as to taking this further or not,many thanks again to all of you.
    best wishes

Jase

Hi guys

Just a thought, I was wandering if any of the policeforce that are among us on this forum could suggest what they think I should do next? I am not one of those people who think all police are bad as i know there are probably some great people on the force,And I can sympathise that they have a very difficult job to do, but was wandering if any from this forum would care to comment?

best wishes

Jase

Quote Originally Posted by jase74
    Hi guys

Just a thought, I was wandering if any of the policeforce that are among us on this forum could suggest what they think I should do next? I am not one of those people who think all police are bad as i know there are probably some great people on the force,And I can sympathise that they have a very difficult job to do, but was wandering if any from this forum would care to comment?

best wishes

Jase
    Given the apparent hostility towards the Police I would be surprised if many if any come out of the woodwork.
    Secretary Running Hill Clay Pigeon Club (www.rhcpc.co.uk)
    CPSA Safety Officer
    AA S410 .177 | Weihrauch HW97K .22 | Walther CP99 CO2 .177 | Lanber 2097 30" 12g

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    One police officer has - see DJP's post on page two.

Hi

Sorry I did not realise DJP was on the force.A big thankyou to DJP for his views,cheers mate.

best wishes

Jase

draftsmann Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DJP
    As for telling you not to shoot in your own backyard, we all know that's cr@p. But I can see why he said it: He knows it's not you but OTOH he's got Mr Nosybonk phoning up every five minutes complaining. He's just trying to find a solution that keeps everyone happy.
    Sorry Dave, but that is total gonads. This incompetent plod's bully-boy tactic may well be calculated to keep the timewasting neighbour happy and make his own life easier, but hardly has that effect on poor Jase, does it? To put it in perspective, if there is a malicious neighbour wasting police time and perjuring himself because he has a problem with Jase plinking, quite legally, in the garden - who the hell is in the wrong? Sounds to me like typical go-for-the-easy-target policing

Quote Originally Posted by DJP
    You could write to the local Superintendent, but really I can't see the point: You haven't been nicked, your guns haven't been seized and your rights haven't been infringed.
    But you have been "leant on", quite improperly, by a police officer when you were doing nothing wrong. Last time I looked, Britain wasn't (quite, just yet) a police state; ergo I'd call this a pretty bl00dy offensive infringement of Jase's "rights".

Ho-hum

Adrian

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    Quote Originally Posted by justicepig
    Given the apparent hostility towards the Police I would be surprised if many if any come out of the woodwork.
    I was going to say 'what hostility' or some such thing ... but then Adrian turned up!

draftsmann Guest

Frisp Guest
    Speaking from years of experience. This sounds like a local officer wh has recieved a plinking complaint about you, and instead of having big enogh watsits to front you up and remind you of the legal requiremnts he goes and tries to cover the tracks back to the interfering git by lying. the result he puts your back up, he looks a right plonker and makes everyone think that all cops are like him. If he for one minute thought you were the cat slotter you would have been nicked on suspicion of having caused criminal damage. No need for warants to seize your gun.
    This is rollox. from a profesional point of view if this guy is lying then his guvnor should know, if he was one of mine and he was lying the least of his worries would be the rollicking from me. I would visit his station and seek some clarification on his grounds.

Lastly most of this advice on this thread has been good, and I have to accentuate the point that has been made. Unless that pellet leaves your premises, and your weapon is under 12ft Lbs. Keep on Plinking, its your right to do so unless some interfering polititians move the goalposts. If someone has a problem with you plinking let them its their problem not yours
    Last edited by Frisp; 24-06-2005 at 03:08 PM. Reason: addition

draftsmann Guest
    Nice post, Frisp. If (as it appears) you're a Plod then you're clearly one of the good guys

Adrian

shrendi Guest
    You may be within your rights but how long before it qualifys for an ASBO as with other legal but judged antisocial behaviour ie mowing the lawn in a bikkini.

Frisp Guest
    Yes mate I am plod and stuff like this winds me up cause it does nothing to make the job easier. How do we expect any support from peole when we keep making arses of ourselves like this ( I was going to say shooting ourselves in the foot but I could hear the groans from here). Im a bit biased cause I shoot but it wouldnt matter if the complaint was that your kids were noisy or that your shirt was offensive. Openes and common sense must and should prevail.
    What gets me is that if in reality these cats are getting slotted, has the PC been round all the avid gardners to ask them the same questions, because no one has more issues with cats than a man with a lovelly seed bed which has had used as a toilet by next doors tabby. .