Thread: Hw35 spring twang......advice please

Hw35 spring twang......advice please

I'm renovating an old HW35 which has a bad case of spring twang. I will be renewing the main spring as it's a bit weak but would like to know what you guys do to quiet down the twang please just in case the new spring doesn't cure the problem ? Also, can anyone tell me the age of this gun from the number which is 618773 ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

hi going by the s/n its a build year of 1976 so a leather washer unless someone has got to it before and changed it to synthetic washer,you can still source Weihrauch springs if its leather try to stay original nice shooting rifle.have left my 1974 in its original state.If it has been altered then I use Terry Robbs s/s spring guides some folk like delrin ,me I,am not convinced but everone to there own
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    I'm renovating an old HW35 which has a bad case of spring twang. I will be renewing the main spring as it's a bit weak but would like to know what you guys do to quiet down the twang please just in case the new spring doesn't cure the problem ? Also, can anyone tell me the age of this gun from the number which is 618773 ?
    Serial number 618773 made in 1976.

If using a genuine HW35 spring and guide you'll find the spring guide is 14mm OD and the spring is about 15mm ID so there's plenty of room for rattling and twanging as the spring isn't controlled properly by the guide.

So you either need a custom spring guide to fit the spring or you could try using a different spring --- Airsporter/ Hw77/ AirArms etc coupled with a sleeve inside the piston.

I normally just machine a custom guide to suit the standard spring on any gun I'm working on.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Serial number 618773 made in 1976.

If using a genuine HW35 spring and guide you'll find the spring guide is 14mm OD and the spring is about 15mm ID so there's plenty of room for rattling and twanging as the spring isn't controlled properly by the guide.

So you either need a custom spring guide to fit the spring or you could try using a different spring --- Airsporter/ Hw77/ AirArms etc coupled with a sleeve inside the piston.

I normally just machine a custom guide to suit the standard spring on any gun I'm working on.

All the best Mick
    thanks for the spring sizes everone almost that I have striped have had different spring size either inner or outer sizes nice to be able to get the right size now,thanks dave
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

Quote Originally Posted by davymole View Post
    thanks for the spring sizes everone almost that I have striped have had different spring size either inner or outer sizes nice to be able to get the right size now,thanks dave
    Hi Dave

I have a virgin E from the early 80s, when I strip it I'll measure the spring for you.

It's no coincidence that Normay used an Airsporter sized spring in the Vixen coupled with the standard guide (though plated) and a steel piston sleeve.

All the best Mick

All excellent advice up above.

If you can make the guide and top hat yourself, fantastic. Get a new standard spring, make the guides to fit, add a steel piston sleeve and it'll be lovely.

If you can't do the guides yourself, get the spring and send it to someone like UK Neil, who will make the guides up for you.

If you prefer a complete set, one of my 35s runs a V-Mach spring and guide set, and it's really very, very lovely. You could get this direct from Steve Pope of V-Mach or, again, from UK Neil. If you don't want to make your own piston sleeve, either of these fine chaps will also be able to supply.

P.S. Or try the Airsporter spring, as Mick says.
    Last edited by TonyL; 28-09-2014 at 07:17 PM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks for the replies. What's the cost of a V-Mach spring and guide set ? Also, what does the top hat do ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

From the S/No. it's been made in 1976. Probably single sided safety and a leather piston seal.

Depending on what you want and your budget .... if you only want to reduce / remove twang at the cheapest cost, first try fitting a piston liner made from a steel beer / coke / other can and a smear of grease on the spring and guide. Cost is minimal and you get to enjoy the contents. If that does not work then try the spring guide etc route.
    Cheers, Phil

Twang

Some heavy grease on the rear 3 coils of the spring...will dampen it.

amc577

Thanks for the replies. What's the cost of a V-Mach spring and guide set ? Also, what does the top hat do ?
    Can't remember the exact price for sure, but the spring, guide and top hat set will be about £40 to £45?

The top hat helps keep the spring centralised at the piston end, combatting any potential buckling, keeping the spring straighter and also helping to combat any resonance thus caused.

A polished washer at each end will also help, promoting freer spring rotation, and potentially helping to reduce "torque twisting" effect. Gives the spring a nice, flat platform at each end.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!