Thread: 8x58R DANISH

8x58R DANISH

I have just bought an 1894 8mm x 58R Danish rolling block rifle, which is still with my RFD, till my variation comes through,
    does any one on here shoot one?
    what powder and cast bullets do you use?
    thanks,T
    Last edited by TALL; 29-09-2014 at 02:01 PM.

I have recently sold my 8x58R Rolling block but I can tell you what I shot with some success at Bisley historic arms meetings. My original cases were supplied by the now extinct North Devon Firearms but these were turned cases and were only suitable for Black Powder loads. I then discovered that it was possible to make the cases from 348 win brass and these are suitable for smokeless loads. I used Accurate 5744 with loads upto 22gns behind a 240 gn bullet which I cast from an NEI mould.The bullet casts at around .330 and I sized and lubed it to .329. That tied in well with NDFS's guide which suggests the bore for these is .328 - .329. This bullet is gas checked ( unless you need to conform with MLAGB regs using black powder) and the velocity was about 1700fps. Because there is a lot of space in the case with that load I used a tube of sponge which I punched from 1" thick sponge block to keep the powder pressed to the case base. If you need to find the mould goto www.neihandtools.com/catalog.htm and click on page 6 and look for .330 - 245 #98. I hope you find this useful.

Regards, Ian.

8mm

thanks for the info IAN, very useful.
    regards,T

Quote Originally Posted by Halgavor1 View Post
    I have recently sold my 8x58R Rolling block but I can tell you what I shot with some success at Bisley historic arms meetings. My original cases were supplied by the now extinct North Devon Firearms but these were turned cases and were only suitable for Black Powder loads. I then discovered that it was possible to make the cases from 348 win brass and these are suitable for smokeless loads. I used Accurate 5744 with loads upto 22gns behind a 240 gn bullet which I cast from an NEI mould.The bullet casts at around .330 and I sized and lubed it to .329. That tied in well with NDFS's guide which suggests the bore for these is .328 - .329. This bullet is gas checked ( unless you need to conform with MLAGB regs using black powder) and the velocity was about 1700fps. Because there is a lot of space in the case with that load I used a tube of sponge which I punched from 1" thick sponge block to keep the powder pressed to the case base. If you need to find the mould goto www.neihandtools.com/catalog.htm and click on page 6 and look for .330 - 245 #98. I hope you find this useful.

Regards, Ian.
    That is one of the most useful posts I've seen here for a long time regarding the loading for an almost forgotten, but still effective and fun, cartridge. With your persimmon I'd like to re-post it on three US and a Canadian sites.

Thanks!

tac

8mm

no problem,go ahead,
    could you send me links. so I can have a read please.
    thanks,T

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    no problem,go ahead,
    could you send me links. so I can have a read please.
    thanks,T
    Many thanks for that - here y'are -

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/thr...-block.180172/

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/2760010363

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...93#post3100893

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...2#post10526312

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 29-09-2014 at 03:47 PM.

For anybody with one of these fine old rifles, perhaps even the gentleman who bought Tall's gun - here is some more info from one of the other sites I frequent -

The easiest shell I've found to start with is the 8x56RS (Hungarian Mannlicher). PRVI brass can be had from Tradex [a major Canadian dealer in older-style guns as well as many modern military surplus]
    Anneal - prime - ~10gr Unique or Trail Boss - fill to brim with cornmeal - glob of white glue, dry overnight - fireform.
    Neck size, load with a gas-checked Lee 8mm 205gr boolet over 26-28 gr of 4198, or, if you're lucky enough to have some, 24gr SR4759.
    I get just under 1700 fps with the latter load and real decent accuracy, too. i.e. 4" grouping at 100 yds with the open sights, which I have a lot of trouble using, with my mole vision.

Other starter shells I've tried are:
    45-70 (a bit short, 45-90 would be ideal);
    300 Weatherby Magnum (rim diameter is too small, extractor won't engage)

My own experience using lint or Dacron in this calibre is that it doesn't seem to make much difference one way or the other. For really light loads I'll use 8grTrail Boss.

One thing that I've learned from the BPCR guys is that a lighter primer is probably better. I think the reason for this is that the more powerful primers start pushing the bullet out too much before the powder is fully ignited, and then pressure is reduced, which makes for a less efficient burn. It may be an incorrect explanation. However I have observed better results with weaker primers when using the slower powders in this cartridge, although I haven't yet done exhaustive tests.

BTW, here in UK Henry Krank sells the Bertam brass for the 8x56R and many other discontinued/obsolete calibres.

tac