Thread: dedicated long range gun......

dedicated long range gun......

well lads, im mostly a springer nut with just one rammer to remind me what recoil REALLY is .. but im building a dedicated long range pcp... im using my full length hw100 and have modded the stock [adjustable cheek riser now] and modded the barrel band [sorta free-floating barrel now] , ive fitted the anti-bounce hammer spring and reg spring, set the reg to [i forgot, but i think it was 95 bar?] modded the anti-tamper hammer to make it settable..... and am running 11.3 ish with AA fields
    scope is mtc 8-32x56 . not the best glass ive looked through, but should be upto the job
    now then, i think ive covered the basics.. i need to get down to the fine tuning........firstly is there a known selection of pellets to see what my barrel likes ? ive seen bis mags and jsb heavies mentioned a bit around these threads, any others worth trying ?
    barrel... im not convinced the barrel is as good as it could be, years back i polished an s410 barrel to remove the choke feel and that closed up my groups a noticable amount, but that was an old gun, probably had a bit of corrosion on the rifling for all i know [hence the benefit after a polish].... so do i risk the fishing-line / cloth and T-cut on my hw100 barrel ? im worried i might make it worse
    any other hints and tips greatly appreciated , thanks lads , seb
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

1. Add a bubble level of some sort to your set up to eliminate canting errors.

2. Eliminate parallax errors by carefully checking your focus and marking the scope's focus ring. Best done with the scope off the gun IMO.

3. Consider either adjustable mounts, an inclined base or doing the epoxy putty scope ring mod. This will ensure you have sufficient vertical adjustment available from the scope to allow you to dial the range. Having your POI along the horizontal stadia makes aiming off for windage more repeatable.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

Barrel cleaning: Whilst many users never clean their bores every rifle I've done has shot tighter groups afterwards and with many fewer flyers. I just use some regular VFG felts with a little pellet lube/Lupus grease, then a couple of dry ones on a VFG cleaning rod for a normal clean.

If that doesn't do the job then I use the intensive felts with VFG Bore Paste before moving on to the regular clean.

The worst "new barrel" I've seen was on an HW100. Here's what the felts looked like coming out of that one , shot properly post cleaning.

If using a fishing line pull through then a bore guide is a good idea, dacron etc will happily cut steel and ruin your crown in no time.

Give the SSC a go when you are up and running. HTH
    Last edited by 18 Wheeler; 30-09-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: forgot #3

thanks buddy, i forgot to mention i do have a bubble ..when i was on about the barrel, i was more asking if its a good idea to t-cut any tight spots and the choke area ?
    as for the mounts, can you point me in the direction of some adjustable ones ? thanks

Sportsmatch do a couple of adjustable mounts for 30mm tubes, ATP61 (elevation only adjustable) and ATP66 (fully adj). Both are 2 piece mounts though, seeing as you have an HW100 a one piece would be preferable to prevent any breech flex (a potential issue on the HW100). They have a 1 piece adjustable in the pipeline, under "new products", but I've not seen them released yet.

BKL have a 1 piece adjustable, not cheap at around £60, but they are excellent mounts which centre well on the rail owing to the clamping method they employ.

You'll need to check any of the above for clearance/height.

I'd try just cleaning the barrel first and do some pellet testing, before honing the bore. HTH

that gives me plenty to be getting on with, thanks again