Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone spot the real rarity?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Can anyone spot the real rarity?

Every now and then a really rare airgun crops up in a sale and goes unrecognised, meaning that the observant collector has the chance to pick up something very special at a knock-down price. I spotted one such gun on the current Saleroom website, under air pistols (http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/se...Term=startDate ). So here's a question for you - can anyone spot the rarity? If no one else finds it, all will be revealed well before the auction date so that anyone interested can put in a bid.

The pre-war Gat

Close, but not quite close enough. The one I am thinking of is so rare that I am pretty sure no collector in this country has one.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Every now and then a really rare airgun crops up in a sale and goes unrecognised, meaning that the observant collector has the chance to pick up something very special at a knock-down price. I spotted one such gun on the current Saleroom website, under air pistols (http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/se...Term=startDate ). So here's a question for you - can anyone spot the rarity? If no one else finds it, all will be revealed well before the auction date so that anyone interested can put in a bid.
    I am having a look down the items. There seems to be a Russian copy of a Zenit there, which I am guessing would be pretty rare?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

'The Cat' air pistol? I never seen one of those before!

Close, but not quite close enough. The one I am thinking of is so rare that I am pretty sure no collector in this country has one.
    The 'Patent applied for' Gat? The Limit pop-out?
    Last edited by Garvin; 01-10-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Walther Mod3??

I thought they were never supposed to have been made

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Walther Mod3??

I thought they were never supposed to have been made

John
    Nah, I think you mean the LP52, of which there's only apparently one!
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 02-10-2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: link added

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I am having a look down the items. There seems to be a Russian copy of a Zenit there, which I am guessing would be pretty rare?
    Yes it has to be that one.

Lot 329?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The Lincoln looks larger than those I've handled.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Maybe the "Hy Score Jumior G60" - in .22 at that? Don't know if this is somehow related to the American Hy-Score branded guns but I've never heard of such a model.

Don R.

Well,in fact ggggr, Micky and IJ got it right, it is the Russian copy of the Zenit shown here :

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...earchitem=true

The EM-GE Zenit must be one of the most copied air pistol designs (see Zenit, Stiga, Brema and Milbro Diana Mk IV in the Vintage Airgun Gallery) but this Russian copy must be the rarest of all. Close inspection of the pistol illustrated in the auction catalogue shows that it has a different grip shape to other Zenit copies, and uniquely has a plastic body with a separate metal trigger guard, and also has a characteristic trademark on the grip. Some better pictures of this rarity can be found here: http://www.muzzle.de/N7/Druckluft/Is...wsk_zenit.html
    And more detailed information here: http://www.iguns.ru/Articles/Handguns/spp.htm

Although it is said that about 55,000 of these were made between 1945 and 1947 they are very rare in Russia and even rarer outside Russia as they were never made for export. How this example turned up in an English auction bundled into one lot with another push-barrel pistol and an old police tunic gives you something to wonder at.

I would love to bid for this lot, but what with the probable high price due to the collectible 19th century police tunic, and the problems of delivery, I won’t be bothering. But if anyone lives near the auction it would be well worth a visit, as it could go for a song if there are no police gear collectors there, and there would be no delivery problems. I don’t like the thought of a costume collector taking away the tunic and dumping the airguns in the nearest skip.

If anyone does go for it and is successful, please let us all know!

Well,in fact ggggr, Micky and IJ got it right, it is the Russian copy of the Zenit shown here :

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...earchitem=true

The EM-GE Zenit must be one of the most copied air pistol designs (see Zenit, Stiga, Brema and Milbro Diana Mk IV in the Vintage Airgun Gallery) but this Russian copy must be the rarest of all. Close inspection of the pistol illustrated in the auction catalogue shows that it has a different grip shape to other Zenit copies, and uniquely has a plastic body with a separate metal trigger guard, and also has a characteristic trademark on the grip. Some better pictures of this rarity can be found here: http://www.muzzle.de/N7/Druckluft/Is...wsk_zenit.html
    And more detailed information here: http://www.iguns.ru/Articles/Handguns/spp.htm

Although it is said that about 55,000 of these were made between 1945 and 1947 they are very rare in Russia and even rarer outside Russia as they were never made for export. How this example turned up in an English auction bundled into one lot with another push-barrel pistol and an old police tunic gives you something to wonder at.

I would love to bid for this lot, but what with the probable high price due to the collectible 19th century police tunic, and the problems of delivery, I won’t be bothering. But if anyone lives near the auction it would be well worth a visit, as it could go for a song if there are no police gear collectors there, and there would be no delivery problems. I don’t like the thought of a costume collector taking away the tunic and dumping the airguns in the nearest skip.

If anyone does go for it and is successful, please let us all know!
    If the auctioneers would box it I could organise a collection and delivery for £8.

Does that help?

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Shucks and there was me thinking it was the 'limited edition Star Trek phase pistol' in lot 103, well come on I'll bet no one in the Uk has one !!