Thread: The Magic

The Magic

Has the "magic" gone from air guns? I've just been browsing a contemporary catalogue(stacked with dire warnings,I might add-well,I have added!) and illustrations of weapons that look rather sinister and bellicose. Thirty or forty years ago no-one was overly concerned about an airgun looking like a Colt single action-or even a trusty 1911-they were AIR GUNS.Gradually,the classic firearm look-a-likes have metamorphosized into what appear to be SAS tactical weapons-and shooters dress to compliment their hardware.Where is the bloke with plus fours and a cheese-cutter,eager to give a squirrel or rabbit or even a rook an even break? At this moment I hear a thunderous applause and stamping in the house of commons-like bloomin'har har!
    Another question,"should we put our immediate thoughts on a public website?!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    Has the "magic" gone from air guns? I've just been browsing a contemporary catalogue(stacked with dire warnings,I might add-well,I have added!) and illustrations of weapons that look rather sinister and bellicose. Thirty or forty years ago no-one was overly concerned about an airgun looking like a Colt single action-or even a trusty 1911-they were AIR GUNS.Gradually,the classic firearm look-a-likes have metamorphosized into what appear to be SAS tactical weapons-and shooters dress to compliment their hardware.Where is the bloke with plus fours and a cheese-cutter,eager to give a squirrel or rabbit or even a rook an even break? At this moment I hear a thunderous applause and stamping in the house of commons-like bloomin'har har!
    Another question,"should we put our immediate thoughts on a public website?!!!!!
    I know what you mean, Trev. But we had our Jackals/BSA Scorpion derivatives/ASI military look-alikes back then and they didn't spoil the innocence of it all (Sussex Armoury even evolved into the excellent air rifle company Air Arms is today). I think the UK firearms bans of the late '90s and the parallel legalisation of CO2 airguns had a big effect on air pistol design. Politicians leading the UK into various wars probably had an effect too...

I expect a 'militarisation' of airguns, if it's really happening, would make restrictive laws easier to pass in the future. But in terms of the number of sales, maybe the classic Weihrauchs, Air Arms, and cheaper break barrel springers are the vast majority still sold?
    Last edited by Garvin; 06-12-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Actually I think that the majic has gone from modern airguns, particularly pistols and agree that the legalisation of gas guns was partially responsible.

Personally I prefer the designs of pistols from pre 1980, particularly the Webleys, Haenal etc even the good old pop outs - oh dear, drifting off into nostalgia.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

The VCR act boosted the replica air pistol market.
    Airsoft makers increased the power of their toys to avoid them being RIFs.

Whilst the acres of black automatics on display in RFDs are tedious some of the replicas are good co2 pistols.
    The Tanfoglio Witness was a real lesson in what can be achieved.
    Many people thought the Umarex 1911 was like a real 1911 until then.

The Webley Mk V1 is a good replica and a good co2 Revolver.
    So I don't think the magic has gone.

Maybe the longevity has!

As far as tactical air rifles are concerned -no thanks!
    Last edited by gingernut; 06-12-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Way back in the time when Tony Blair decided to show us who was the new boss and banned handguns, I thought that the 'trade' had to shoulder part of the blame. Some of the full page magazine advertising for pistols (which could only be legitimately used for target shooting), was looking quite lurid (for want of a better term).
    Mel.

Airguns have been influenced by firearms trends and design for some considerable time. If we think back to the humble Lincoln Jeffries / BSA design, comparisons were made with the service arms then being made by BSA. Let's not forget the BSA Military Pattern, which was designed to mimic the Long Lee. The main difference between then and now are peoples' attitudes. The Edwardian era was probably the heyday of British shooting in terms of popularity and whilst there were detractors around at the time, shooting was seen as beneficial overall. The notion of a Nation of Riflemen was still seen as practical and we saw how successful this was when our 'Little Contemptible Army' stopped the German advance in 1914.

We should be proud of our history and the skill which shooting still is. If an airgun resembles a service arm, then so be it. There is probably a good reason why 'tactical' rifles look the way they do. Their overall styling may be geared towards using firearms in extreme conditions but look deeper and that synthetic stock that looks like something Special Forces use is more comfortable on a cold day and less susceptible to temperature change. As for looking pretty? Well that is in the eye of the beholder. I admit I like all kinds of airguns - it is the independent means of propulsion that is the ultimate attraction for me. There is certainly room for military style airguns in our hobby as well as firearms clones. Just be careful how and where you use them!

John

I like my classic rifles, but have too admit loved my Jackal Parabelum in 22 has a 14 year old, now well its off its time and maybe sends out the wrong sort of message. And yet love my Broccok Enigma carbine,

Crosman's latest pump up.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Crosman's latest pump up.

I just pewked on me boots....!!!!!

Pete.

Its peoples attitudes that have changed. Changed too about war.
    The 1930's changed the perception of the WW1 from the Great War to end war to "What a waste, we are going to have to do it all over again". First legislation came in after WW1 because too many people were trained, too many guns about, and political change was afoot.

Then we had the 50's, 60's, and 70's and a complete anti war. WWII was nasty, and no one wanted another. Most wanted to forget the horrors.
    The youth too were sick of the stories of WW2/parents/grandparents and been told how lucky they were; we were also still paying off the debts from it, and lastly with youth increased wealth who wants a war when you can have fun. Vietnam and conscription really got the youth anti up. They are now the politicians of today, or their offspring.

The solution ban everything gun.

Trouble is its a load of tosh. Nuclear is great for stopping big wars. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop little wars. Its gone so far you can't bang heads together to stop these nasty little wars in their tracks. A few thousand, the odd million, is not tens of millions. So with minimum risk to the wealthy nations they are tolerated. When intervention is done its on the cheap with minimum casualties, but as it doesn't work it isn't quite so cheap and there is a drip drip of casualties. The voters get the politicians they deserve. It will take quite something for voters to go large on robust action as its not pretty, is expensive and requires more than just volunteers and a few laser guided missiles. Presently we just play at it, and we don't need anything to remind us that guns and manning up might be the better option. Funny how those that squeal loudest about banning guns are protected by the biggest baddest guns.

The 70's phobia of "guns" will stay because little wars start and are generally fought with little guns. Little guns in this country will remain "bad" for quite a while me thinks. And anything that looks like them.

Sorry, bit heavy for a Sunday.