Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther LGU

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    Looking at the second image down, showing both tx and lgu. Would you say the loading port is slightly longer on the lgu?
    Mike,

Having measured the loading port lengths:

LGU - 53.5mm

TX200 - 50mm
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Some more photographs:

Action out of stock left and right side views.

Trigger housing/end plug right and left side views.

Trigger internals.

Laser etched logo.

Barrel to main tube junction - note difference in finish, although this has been way over-emphasised by the camera flash.

Scope rail and arrestor holes.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Mike,

Having measured the loading port lengths:

LGU - 53.5mm

TX200 - 50mm

Thanks for that. And for the extra excellent images

You say that enlarging the transfer port made it shoot sweeter but how did it alter the velocity as you say that it was doing around 10.5 Ft LBS is that before or after the mod ?
    I am assuming the transfer mod made recoil less ?
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Velocity checked after modification and has remained stable.

The feel is somewhat subjective, but to me the rifle feels like there is less vibration and was just smoother with the slightly bigger port. Sorry can't be more scientific than that.

Thanks , logically I thought it would have altered it as the air would have gone through quicker with more volume but i suppose at lower pressure .
    I am always a little cautious altering anything that cannot be put back - just in case
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

I would refer you to this thread: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....estion-for-you

bigtoe01 explains the theory behind it very well.

Excellent thread.

Really enjoyed reading this thread.
    Recently bought a 97 and lightly tuned.
    Got the hots for an LGU now lol.

Excellent, unbiased and professional. Well done.

Excellent review. I have an LGU,HW97 and TX200. The LGU is my favourite - stunning accuracy.

Paul.

Excellent report on the guns appearance,but what did it shoot like out of box?
    Part two of your report was after you had made a major alteration to factory spec.It was no longer a LGU ?
    As the rifle was one of a couple of new rifles i was interested the report was no good as it told me nothing.
    What was it capable of out of the box for those of us who having parted with a few hundred pounds and do not wish to spend more having it tuned or doing a DIY job.
    I shoot bench rest so want a gun that will remove a 2mm pip at 25yds, can the LGU do that?
    What i do know is that it looks like it should!
    Don.

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn View Post
    Excellent report on the guns appearance,but what did it shoot like out of box?
    Part two of your report was after you had made a major alteration to factory spec.It was no longer a LGU ?
    As the rifle was one of a couple of new rifles i was interested the report was no good as it told me nothing.
    What was it capable of out of the box for those of us who having parted with a few hundred pounds and do not wish to spend more having it tuned or doing a DIY job.
    I shoot bench rest so want a gun that will remove a 2mm pip at 25yds, can the LGU do that?
    What i do know is that it looks like it should!
    Don.
    OK, lets take your points in order.

Out of the box the accuracy was the same.

Of course it is still an LGU - the only changes were opening the transfer port marginally and cleaning and lubing it. No parts were replaced by any after-market custom parts.

As to the report telling you 'nothing' - well the technical description is what it is. I described the rifle accurately and clearly explained what I had done to it and as pointed out above no replacement parts of any sort were fitted, so if you can't draw some conclusions about the basic elements of the rifle that is NOT my problem.

What was it like out of the box - see my first answer.

Regarding the BR requirements - when using a spring airgun, the question is as much about how capable you are. I would say in competent hands the LGU is capable of a very good level of accuracy, however I can't make any definitive comment about your ability with one.

If you want to see a review written to your satisfaction get an LGU and write one yourself.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 21-01-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Three separate, detailed instalments showing thorough layout pics, informed comment, accuracy and tech detail, and a point scored comparison with its main rivals, and you get "the report was no good as it told me nothing"

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Great review to the lgu, I've had one in .177 for around 6 months. It was running at 10.5 ft lb after its first tin of pellets so strip re greased and shim'd the main strip with some washers. Now running at a healthy 11.5 ft lbs. as above so easy to work on, shoots great and I find not to hold sensitive