Thread: The Marmite rifle

The Marmite rifle

Just bought a Gunpower Stealth .177 , I had done a bit of research on internet and it appears you either rate or hate them!!!
    What appealed to me this was the simplicity of this gun, however it appears they can be temperamental re the power curve etc. Oh well I took the plunge and got my Stealth .Gun comes with buddy bottle off in a small box . If you need a take down rifle these would fit the bill.
    Gun screwed together no problem and I had ordered a silencer /moderator which I fitted on straight away.
    The gun really cracks with out the moderator and I would say it isnt back yard friendly with out the moderator on. The stealth moderator quiets it down a lot and is pretty good
    I first filled the gun to 200 bar shot about 200+ shots . At 200 bar the gun was not grouping well for fist dozen or so shots , ok but not great . As I shot it down it started to group really well. So heres the first thing I learnt I filled it as suggested on here to 180 bar and just shot 60 shots before filling again, this made the gun shoot well and I got some tiny groups at 20 meters and the gun was shooting good groups out to 30 meters no problems. Shooting less shots with the gun i guess results in only using part of the power curve and better results. Now you might say whats the point of a buddy bottle gun which only gives about 60 good shots , I use mine for hunting so it's no problem I ve never taken sixty shots !!! on a trip.
    Bit of an odd PCP as when the hammer shoots back and strikes the valve it gives a little kick!!!. It's not enough to effect accuracy and still no where near a mild mannered springer. Just a bit odd you dont get the complete recoiless experience more some thing between a PCP and a very low recoiling springer!!!. Gun sits in the shoulder nicely as all the weight is in the buddy bottle at the back of the gun. You can take the gun down into pieces and Gunpower (SMK now selling/distributing these ) sell a large lap top bag with cut outs for gun so it can be carried in a discrete manner .
    Guns good to shoot in a small place such as a hide.
    Trigger heard moans about these , mine little creepy but fine and ive shot worse .

The Gun power bag is pretty expensive though and i gave it a miss.You have to buy the fill adapter and SMK didn't have any so the very kind gent at our gun shop filled the bottle for me and i purchased a fill adapter + adapter to fit it to normal air bottle hose for a tenner (one on e bay Second hand ). I also ordered the silencer/moderator which did arrive with the gun. Heres the second thing I learnt about the gunpower the price of @ 450 pounds dosnt include a charge adapter or silencer/moderator so your looking at more like 550 pounds to get going.
    You need high mounts for a scope as the bottle acts as a cheek piece but is very high and with out high mounts you get problems getting eye alignment right.
    The gun came with a grub screw missing on the top hat!!!!on the valve and this will effect the consistency. so I have ordered another and may get a one piece top hat later. A new screw and a drop of loctite should do the job any way.
    I learnt some thing else about the gun they can be massively improved and there are numerous bits to make them more consistent etc available.
    Theres a few sites regarding the rifle + Talon owners club forum (American stealth)
    Ive researched the gun on good old google it must be the easiest PCP gun to strip and reassemble .
    I couldnt tell you how consistent it as I dont have a chronograph, it dose at the 60 shots from 180 bar group pretty well and on my first trip three rabbits were taken with head shots no problems at 20-30 meters .

So do I like it or hate it?
    The quality control from factory seems a bit hit and miss (lose top hat on mine ) ...
    The guns butt ugly!!
    The scope needs mounting high
    The gun needs a bit of fettering to get it shooting well (easily done )
    mmmmmmm
    I like it !! dont buy it if you like flowing lines , nice deep bluing etc , I think once top hat is sorted Ill have a good hunting gun which (If I dont do my normal sell a gun every six months !) should last ages

Gun power stealth..... different !!!!
    Last edited by Ninapuppy; 05-10-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Marmite gun sold

Had this about three weeks now , Gunpower /SMK were unable to provide a grub screw for top hat or a fill adapter, didn't bode well for future so its gone , not a bad rifle but for the money Id say there's better.

I liked the concept of it all but on trying it was rather dissapointed, pity really, thanks for the review.

i bought one brand new about 8 years ago.after about 6 weeks the bottle seal where the valve fits in failed,emptying the bottle of air.it scared me to death.i sent it back for repair and sold it
    umarex perfecta .177 ww tuned,spring kit & trigger,bsa 3-9x40 bsa essential ao
    Smk xs19 .177,ww kit,ww trigger,o-ring piston head,Nikko 6x40 PX ao
    Ratworks gamo phox .177,bsa essential wr 3x9x40