Thread: Hw80 Barrel question

Hw80 Barrel question

Hi Gents,

Been asked to sort out a friend of a friend's HW80... had a feeling it was a bad one when he was laughing down the phone!!

Anyway it seems the rifle was run over by a tractor and is now in two bits with the barrel bent in two directions along with a slight twist.

After many hours i have finaly straightened the barrel and thought i would push a pellet down for good measure, tried Jsb 5,52 and rws etc and they sit in the breach fine, but seem a fraction to easy to push down the barrel compaired to other springers I have. The gun has not seen much use looking at the internals more of abuse i would of said but guess it is a farm gun.

So was wondering if any of you guys have tried pushing a pellet down a HW80 barrel and are they usally tight?

Cheers.

Charlieboy

https://imageshack.com/a/awPz/1

Blimey Charlie! ...if you can rescue that barrel then you're a better man than I, Sir ....or leave as is and fit a periscope instead of a telescope

I'm sure I've heard tales before of some older HW barrels being a fraction tighter at the breech, possibly because of the way they were pressed into the block?... may be that's why Weihrauch choked their barrels too?...I think I can also remember some old school advice in the mags about using a slim tapered punch to slightly expand the lead into breech??...or that may be just nonsense
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    Hi Gents,

Been asked to sort out a friend of a friend's HW80... had a feeling it was a bad one when he was laughing down the phone!!

Anyway it seems the rifle was run over by a tractor and is now in two bits with the barrel bent in two directions along with a slight twist.

After many hours i have finaly straightened the barrel and thought i would push a pellet down for good measure, tried Jsb 5,52 and rws etc and they sit in the breach fine, but seem a fraction to easy to push down the barrel compaired to other springers I have. The gun has not seen much use looking at the internals more of abuse i would of said but guess it is a farm gun.

So was wondering if any of you guys have tried pushing a pellet down a HW80 barrel and are they usally tight?

Cheers.

Charlieboy

Buy a new barrel for it ffs sake !

https://imageshack.com/a/awPz/1

sorted

Well now all fume blued to perfection and stock glued and refinished, so now for the testing.

Thought the barrel would be wasted , and was shocked, rung the bell 3 times on the trot in the garage after some sight adjusment, and finally managed to pop over to my permission for the real teasting.

Well can hit a tin can end on at 30 yards with open sights.. first hw80 i have played with and there not bad,, another one back from the graveyard,,,

just hope its owner wont drive over it again and transpires it happened 16 years ago, !!! but internals were perfect even without no signs of grease .

cheers,

Charlieboy.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    Well now all fume blued to perfection and stock glued and refinished, so now for the testing.

Thought the barrel would be wasted , and was shocked, rung the bell 3 times on the trot in the garage after some sight adjusment, and finally managed to pop over to my permission for the real teasting.

Well can hit a tin can end on at 30 yards with open sights.. first hw80 i have played with and there not bad,, another one back from the graveyard,,,

just hope its owner wont drive over it again and transpires it happened 16 years ago, !!! but internals were perfect even without no signs of grease .

cheers,

Charlieboy.
    Well done for bringing it back into service, Charlieboy...but how did you straighten it?...vee blocks in a press?...big vice and a long pipe?...special tool codename: 2lbs?...and was there in kinking, or crushing inside the bore?...also, was it just a matter of teaking it until you had the muzzle parallel with teh rest of the action/sight line?...

sorry for so many questions, just interested as that barrel looked totally knackered to me!
    blah blah

you friend needs glasses before he drives a tractor again,would have either bought another barrel and stock but even on yabe could have been £120 out lay so if you have straightened it well done,I have straightened a hw35 barrel which are only 15mm not 16mm using two vices and a small car jack took hours but that was only up and down not looking like the start of a a corkscrew. I would have sold on yabe made a bit and bought a remington express instead ,simples
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Well done for bringing it back into service, Charlieboy...but how did you straighten it?...vee blocks in a press?...big vice and a long pipe?...special tool codename: 2lbs?...and was there in kinking, or crushing inside the bore?...also, was it just a matter of teaking it until you had the muzzle parallel with teh rest of the action/sight line?...

sorry for so many questions, just interested as that barrel looked totally knackered to me!

Well you guessed most of the items, along with a blow torch, 5 inch record vice, leather, bad language, and a 4 lb adjuster,

will have to source some harder wood for next time, soft wood just absorbed the blows , The biggest issue was getting it to a safe limit, 5 coils removed from the old original spring, pain in the butt with constant re-stripping and finishing.

Would not say the barrel was totally straight but bore looked ok to my untrained eye plus accurate as hell on testing. but thought the pellet was to easy to push down the barrel hence asking..

cheers

Charlieboy

finished metal work

https://imageshack.com/a/kGGz/1