Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marksman air rifle pellets.

Does nobody remember the misshapen ( sp ? ) and sometimes solid lead Marksman pellets ? I bought them at the time as I was an impoverished schoolboy but only if I couldn't afford anything better.
    Imelda

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Imelda View Post
    Does nobody remember the misshapen ( sp ? ) and sometimes solid lead Marksman pellets ? I bought them at the time as I was an impoverished schoolboy but only if I couldn't afford anything better.
    Imelda
    Yes. And you still get the same deformed pellet in nearly every tin/box. Just goes to show that L.J. Ltd haven't changed their die set for at least the last 38 years. But come on. You've got to admit Marksman were streets ahead of Beatall and Bulldog.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Yes. And you still get the same deformed pellet in nearly every tin/box. Just goes to show that L.J. Ltd haven't changed their die set for at least the last 38 years. But come on. You've got to admit Marksman were streets ahead of Beatall and Bulldog.
    Indeed I do.
    Imelda

Marksman pellets shoot well in some guns, as Eddie's results indicate. At their relatively low cost, it's worth trying out a tin and seeing if they suit your airgun. Lincoln Jeffries give good customer service and donated pellets to our local club when I visited the factory a few years ago. When a mate enquired about their pellets, one of the Lincoln Jeffries family turned up at his house on a motorbike and gave him some free pellets. Not many manufacturers give service like that! I like to buy British as often as possible.

marksman

I must have shot theses too , I guess boxes of them I think if the box was red ?.

All plinking though ,can mashing.
    It I'd have thought the wasps would have changed I would have kept the thousands I shot plinking and used the marksman only.

I think too I used milbro Caledonian which were good too from memory.

Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    When I started shooting air rifles back in the early 1970s the pellets we all used then was marksmen in .22 cal, and never had a problem with them but then our local sports shop did not have much to chose from, I have a full tin of 500 marksmen pellets in .22 that has a push on lid not the screw on type it has the price on the back six shillings ( that's 30p in new money ) I have just ordered a new box of these to compare with the old ones I will be using them in an old airsporter, does anyone else still use them?
    My old Mercury that I bought new in 1978 loved Marksman pellets, still have the gun, and still use Marksmen in it, never found anything better for that gun.
    Happy days.
    "Never push your Granny while she's shaving"

85p a box....

....for 500 .177's back when I used them for plinking in various airguns all those years ago

We used to buy them from a local sports shop....until we read a copy of Airgun World and discovered all these different new (to us) pellets with fangled foreign names

My Hawk Mk3 used to shoot Marksman pellets quite well, and yes, as has been mentioned earlier, there was always one or two 'iffy' pellets or lumps of strange shaped lead in the box.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

If I had a pound for everything I have shot with Marksman pellets I would be retired and very rich, in all my BSA rifles and pistols and even an Original model fifty Marksman were my pellet of choice pulled off some amazing shots with them, shot rabbits squirrels rats crows magpies jays and some impressive targets, still have some Marksman, but my preferred pellet these days are RWS Superdomes.

Thanks for the reply's, got a new box of marksmen today first thing when opening the box it did not have that smell that the ones in the tin had when you opened it, the pellets are very dull unlike the really early tin I have with the push on lid not the screw on type the pellets really shine even now after all these years, I to used these in my first air rifle in the early 1970s a relum telly 200 brake barrel open sights cost £10.25 new from our local sports shop and I shot loads of rabbits and pigeon with them, well will have to test them against the old ones and see how they get on.

Speed reading this text

So these old pellets sold in card boxes - still sold as I picked a box up recently old stock ....these obviously suit the older barrels on some airguns ...what is the headsize ...I remember that Wasp would fit the British barrels and give better performance than say a foreign pellet ? Please tell me these old MARKSMAN are 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by hebhaggis View Post
    So these old pellets sold in card boxes - still sold as I picked a box up recently old stock ....these obviously suit the older barrels on some airguns ...what is the headsize ...I remember that Wasp would fit the British barrels and give better performance than say a foreign pellet ? Please tell me these old MARKSMAN are 5.56
    yes beleve so, beleve it was Beeman in America who forceded Webley to change to the continental size in the late 80,s
    though do have an excellent Haenel 302 I got off here a few years ago which is 5.56 wonder if Haenel made the barells specially for the UK market