Thread: 223 case trimming tools ?

223 case trimming tools ?

Hi Ive been reloading for a couple of years but only in 44 mag . so never done any rifle brass.
    i understand i need to trim and resize on a regular basis. what recommended tools should i buy for the 223 cases please.
    Tikka .223 Lam, stainless / Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum / Browning Maxus Shotgun Prem grade 3 / CZ 453 Premium .17HMR Joe West Stock / Weihrauch HW100T .177 / Anschutz 1417 22lr T/H
    Open cert, BASC member.

The cheapest and handiest are the Lee case trimmers. You can buy the set with the cutter, or the plugs by themselves - they will never wear out in normal use. The case-holder can be hand-held, or, as I have done, put in the chuck of one of the many handy little cordless drills that are on sale in every DIY store.

Or, you can buy a Lee Zip-trimmer - you pull the cord like starting an outboard motor - around £20 or so, and you can use it to hold the cases while you are polishing/de-burring them - just cheaper than a spiffy little leccy drill.

BTW, Kleeneeze make the best polishing cloth imagineable - it's called the 'Miracle cloth' and is just like the Birchwood-Casey lead remover cloth except it's twice as big and half the price.

tac

You may acquire (relatively) cheap case trimming lathes from that auction site. All the regular culprits in regards to manufacturers - RCBS, Redding, Lyman etc. To get the search to cover all available options make sure you log onto the eB**.com site rather than the eB**.co.uk site. if you have an account you can log in to either with your regular username and password.

I have a Redding XT1400 case trimming lathe on its way to me at the moment that I bought about £60 cheaper than I could get here in the UK (after postage and prepaid import duty)

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The cheapest and handiest are the Lee case trimmers. You can buy the set with the cutter, or the plugs by themselves - they will never wear out in normal use. The case-holder can be hand-held, or, as I have done, put in the chuck of one of the many handy little cordless drills that are on sale in every DIY store.

Or, you can buy a Lee Zip-trimmer - you pull the cord like starting an outboard motor - around £20 or so, and you can use it to hold the cases while you are polishing/de-burring them - just cheaper than a spiffy little leccy drill.

BTW, Kleeneeze make the best polishing cloth imagineable - it's called the 'Miracle cloth' and is just like the Birchwood-Casey lead remover cloth except it's twice as big and half the price.

tac
    Will check it out
    Tikka .223 Lam, stainless / Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum / Browning Maxus Shotgun Prem grade 3 / CZ 453 Premium .17HMR Joe West Stock / Weihrauch HW100T .177 / Anschutz 1417 22lr T/H
    Open cert, BASC member.

Lee Quick Trim Deluxe, trims, deburrs and chamfers accurately and quickly all in one operation.

Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    Lee Quick Trim Deluxe, trims, deburrs and chamfers accurately and quickly all in one operation.
    Cheers waiting for one to arrive from henry kranks
    Open cert, BASC member.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_geezer View Post
    Cheers waiting for one to arrive from henry kranks
    Hi...simply neck size after the cases have been fired and "formed" to your rifle chamber. Full length resizing isn't necessary,necking will improve fps consistency and your confidence. Trimming after the first firing should become quite an infrequent thing, also I suggest deburring the internal primer flash hole as you'd be surprised as to the amount of crap that is left there........Cheers.....Ivor

Personally I fl side everytime as that way the case is the same everytime. If you just neck size it's not. After a few firings you'll either have to fl size or bump the shoulders back

Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    Personally I fl side everytime as that way the case is the same everytime. If you just neck size it's not. After a few firings you'll either have to fl size or bump the shoulders back
    thats the way to achieve better accuracy / consistency everytime
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Thanks chaps
    Open cert, BASC member.