Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit BBQ???

michaeladkins Guest

Rabbit BBQ???

I guess that you could say this is non airgun BUT seing as i shot the 2 rabbits in question last night-----

Anyway, ANYONE on here BBQ'ed rabbits before? IF so how to you get them tender? Pre-cook, marinate? any ideas?

Thank you so much, i need an idea so i can prove my wife and brother in law wrong!!

Regards - Michael

jim_w Guest
    A good tip for improving game meat is to marinate it in a vacuum sealed bag - if you've got a freindly butcher he'll seal it up properly for you, but failing that you can just get a zip-loc back and squeeze all the air out. The important thing is to have a vacuum in the bag - that causes all the juices in the marinade to soak right into the fibers of the meat.

I usualy marinate in a mixture of oil and wine (more oil than wine) with herbs and so forth mixed in. Juniper berries are always good with game, and I like to have sage and lots of garlic with bunny. Any fresh herbs are worth throwing in, as well as a spoonful of vinegar and s&p.

Marinade for at least 24h, preferably longer, then cook the bunny bits on the barbie while heating the marinade in a pan. Then, just before the bunny is cooked, prepare a roux by heating equal amounts of fat and flour in a pan and whisking. Then add small amounts to the sauce at a time, whisking all the while to keep it smooth. Once you have the consistency you want, serve the bunny with the lovely sauce.

M ROBSON Guest
    I marinade most of my Rabbit/Venison in red wine, onions and Garlic, I've also tried Cider which is very nice too.
    If your adding the meat to a sauce the best way I've found to cook Rabbits is to Boil them on the bone for half an hour then leave them in the pan to go cold. Once cold remove the meat from the bone and add it to your dish, I prefer sweet and sour.

Mark.

draftsmann Guest
    Most meats benefit from either a quick blitz in a pressure cooker or a slower poach before being grilled IMHO. Poaching in flavoured water is a good thing; the effect is similar to marinading.

Adrian

michaeladkins Guest
    Thank You Gents much appreciated! - Michael

Landswehr Guest
    If you shop around, you can buy sachets of Japanese pickled stem (not root) ginger (for Sushi - but I use it for all sorts of things) I used to get mine up the hill in Bushey Heath.

This stuff has the interesting property of tenderising meats it's left in cotact with, as well as imparting a very exotic flavour to it (brilliant with Cabillaud). Rabbit's no exception and, if ziploc'd as above with a pack of ginger will emerge almost ready to eat raw!!! (That's a joke BTW)

It then BBQ's up quite nicely if jointed and kept turning over a hot 'Q while you make the sauce as described above.

Gibbon Guest
    Cabillaud, for our non-Frog speaking friends is..... C O D

It all sounds a bit fishy to me
    Last edited by Gibbon; 24-06-2005 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo

Landswehr Guest
    I can't believe I wrote that instead of the English name!!!!!!!

S'funny, when you live somewhere long term, you start to think of things by what everybody else calls 'em .. like Vin, Lait, Supermarche .. I'm going to have problems when I return.

I walked into a lady in Hamleys a couple of months ago and, before I could stop myself I had apologised to her in my best French! Sad old fart!

It took ages to get all her clothes back on!

Dann Guest
    If you can find a recipe for Satay and just treat
    the rabbit to the ginger and soy sauce etc marinade
    it really is delicious although you do need to take it
    off the bone, great on the bbq and only takes a couple
    of mins to cook, a little bit of effort to get it to that
    stage but its worth the effort, try it!

Landswehr Guest
    Can you enlarge on that a little please Dann?

Sounds excellent - and I have 3 unemployed rabbits taking a nap in the electric igloo as I type........

Satay as found in the far East small pieces of marinated meat on a stick cooked on an earthenware charcoal burning grill that sits on the table
    Steve
    Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

Landswehr Guest
    Yeah - but it was the ginger and soy sauce idea that appealed Steve. I wondered how he went about applying it to the deceased lagomorph.

starrysmoothhound Guest
    yogurt tenderises meat, a dollop of pataks tandoori paste, ginger, garlic, and marinate for as long as you can, the satay idea is the best for bunny, small pieces with yogurt and tandoori.
    fresh corriander scatered over picks it up, and a nice chutney.

It was not applied Bob the meat was brought to the table on a flattish dish that contained the mixture so were half immersed in it. God I’m feeling hungry now
    Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

Dann Guest
    Landswehr

The recipe I got was from bbc.co.uk, a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
    for pheasant satay and I just replaced pheasant with rabbit, you can
    print recipe from site, try it although I use about 5 rabbits to feed
    4 people if you want more than a mouthful anyway!