Thread: Blackening Brass

Blackening Brass

Hi all

Would anyone have a better recommendation for blacking polished brass parts than the Birchwood Casey Brass Blacking product?

Three might be a cheaper option perhaps than 12 quid for 90 ml?

Thanks
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thumbs up

Seems cheaper than here http://chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Engin...ducts_289.html but they're local to me
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Brass.

LIBERON TOURMALINE works well.

Hello,

I sparingly applied Birchwood Casey Perma Blue (cold blue) to the brass accessories for my black powder revolver which worked quite well.

This product is also great when used for its original purpose of touching-up imperfections on blued steel, provided the area is not subject to too much handling.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by grahamrob View Post
    LIBERON TOURMALINE works well.
    No longer available but there are alternatives. Thank you for the info

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I've got a bottle of the stuff if you want 10 or 20mls I can spare it. Send me your address and I will put it in a 20ml syringe for safety and convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I've got a bottle of the stuff if you want 10 or 20mls I can spare it. Send me your address and I will put it in a 20ml syringe for safety and convenience.
    Nice one. Thank you my friend

PM sent

Matty

Matty, was playing with bulk fill this afternoon when I saw this thread. Took the Crosman 111 and tried some gun blue. Birchwood Casey made no effect at all on the brass finish so tried G96 Creme and it blacked immediately. Don't know how long finish would wear though.See below..

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I found this thread interesting, so I did some googling|! anything to do with bluing, blacking, browning, parkerizing, etc.. interests me.. heres what I found:

http://www.modelboatyard.com/blackening.html hydrochloric/ water + BC black or blacken - it

http://www.sciencecompany.com/Patina...nd-Copper.aspx very very interesting - pick your colour and mix up your chemicals!!

a metal finishing supplier: http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-...solutions.html

Ive also read that ammonia fumes will do it, and that its the selenium in the bluing solutions that is the active blacking ingredient.

let us know how you get on! with pics!

The blacking of Brass

Hello , I have just tried this 2 weeks ago - and used an unknown old bottle of Blue solution ...it went on brown . Which is not what I wanted but did look good .
    I can also vouch for the above Carr's Modelling Products .thew Acidip is very good . Mine has last well - bought in 1991

Thank you all for the great advice

Matty

Thanks to Hsing-ee for sending me a bottle of BC Brass Blacking

His PM box is full so I am thanking him here.

The product works pretty well and after 3 dips the colour is a deep browny-black which goes fine with blued steel

Thank you again sir.

Matty

Matt

Have you tried it on blacked steel, would be useful for fixing braze if it doesn't alter the blacking?

What's in it?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Matt

Have you tried it on blacked steel, would be useful for fixing braze if it doesn't alter the blacking?

What's in it?

Rich
    Hi Rich

I did note that it turned the steel insert on the 77 muzzle break black too.

Not sure about its action on braze...

It's the Birchwood Casey Brass Black that I have here. It's a bright blue liquid. Contains Selenium Dioxide Salts I think... or that might be the steel bluing version

Matty