Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW 35 Quandry

HW 35 Quandry

Evening gents

I am going to look at a couple of models in Blackpool at the weekend, prefer the look of the squared off pistol grip models than the rounded ones, yet I usually prefer to buy guns made in the 70's-80's for nostalgia. I've scoured the net and can't seem to find when production switched styles, only when the safety/synthetic seal was added. If anyone can shed any light on this it might help my purchasing decision. Should I go with the style I like now or an earlier model that might be worth more in years to come?

Thanks

Andy

I was in B.A.R. on Saturday and I seem to remember they had a couple of HW35s in their s/h section. I didn't take much notice in case I was temped.
    By 'squared off pistol grip' do you mean the Deluxe or Luxus version?

You cant go far wrong with a '35.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

HW35 quandry

I've got a very nice '77 19" barelled .22 export with a very nice tiger striped walnut stock I was thinking of selling if your after a good one . This is a leather piston washer model & recently Hot blued, internals all original & shoots lovley at 11+ . P.M. me for pics

Thanks for your input, what I meant by squared off pistol grip is like my 1983 HW77, I think they look more stylish than the earlier ones that have a bulbous shape.

Junglie can you clear some space so I can PM you please?

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsa View Post
    Evening gents

I am going to look at a couple of models in Blackpool at the weekend, prefer the look of the squared off pistol grip models than the rounded ones, yet I usually prefer to buy guns made in the 70's-80's for nostalgia. I've scoured the net and can't seem to find when production switched styles, only when the safety/synthetic seal was added. If anyone can shed any light on this it might help my purchasing decision. Should I go with the style I like now or an earlier model that might be worth more in years to come?

Thanks

Andy
    Someone please put a rambling and accurate post up about the porous brazing on some of the single sided safety hw35s / power issues, fixes, leather heads v synthetic etc

Nutshell : Always chrono a s'h 35 before paying / buying. If LOW - agree to buy AFTER sorted by shop / seller

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post

Nutshell : Always chrono a s'h 35 before paying / buying. If LOW - agree to buy AFTER sorted by shop / seller
    It depends what you call 'low'. A nicely tuned, leather sealed '35 in .22 can shoot as smooth as a mink cod piece around the 10ft.lbs m.e.

ATB
    Ian

They certainly can. 10-10.5 is plenty, they just shoot so nicely and are well understressed at that level. Just recovering from the thought of you in a "mink codpiece" though Ian.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    It depends what you call 'low'. A nicely tuned, leather sealed '35 in .22 can shoot as smooth as a mink cod piece around the 10ft.lbs m.e.

ATB
    Ian
    Yeh, I was pointing out the leaky ones that hit 8 ftlbs without 'fixing'

Agree with PCP shooter on that one. I've had two HW35's (one a '73, pre-safety and a '80 E model) both doing 7.5fpe. I fixed the breech leakage with the advice on here. Both .177, one now doing 10.5fpe the other 10fpe, both .177.

So I took the plunge and went for the '35 that is on BAR's website for £179 (though I was more than happy with the p/x I got on two RO72 pistols). I've asked Mr Weihrauch to confirm the date of 1983 from serial No 989488, and the 'ballbag' pistol grip as it was so elloquently described is growing on me. I asked them to chrono it for me - first shot 6 ft lbs then 10.6 so I'm happy with that. It's polished up nicely with some ballistol and I was happy with the accuracy on the range.

Enjoy your new toy!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Ive owned dozens of HW35s in both .177 and .22, various barrel lengths and ages (1968 - mid 80s). I presently own 17 of the things. Perhaps Ive just been lucky but Ive never had one which has suffered from 'breech leakage' which is often mentioned on here. Worn barrel catch (and cylinder face), breech seal (early ones were leather and deteriorated) - yes, but leakage, no.
    I find it difficult to understand how a small cavity in the cylinder isn't filled with gunge, dried grease and leather bits (off a leather main seal) over the years of usage.

ATB
    Ian

HW 35 stocks

The HW 35 L ("Luxus") version switched from the classic Bayern styling with "stretched hexagon" cheekpiece shape, subtle hogsback comb line, and rounded grip; to a squarish-looking stock with Monte Carlo comb, curved cheekpiece, and flat-bottom grip, about 1978.

The classic HW 35 E ("Export") with hogsback comb, curved cheekpiece, flat-bottomed grip with white spacer and black cap, has been around with some subtle variations since the 1950's.

This photo has an early L on the bottom, and an E above.

Lovely pair….of 35's

Hw35

Just bought a 1978 35 delux with the later style of delux stock at the weekend from Keith at Bisley. After a quick spring change its running at 10.8 to 11ftlbs in .22 and accurate as well.

It completes my set of 35's, I have a 1978 .177 std and a 1981 .22 Export. HW35's can be additive!

Enjoy yours.