Thread: gunpower hellcat.

gunpower hellcat.

it all started back in July, when i had a PPI claim from my bank. i thought i would use the money to buy a new rifle for hunting. after looking round i decided to go for the hellcat in .22, i brought direct from gunpower to pick up at a local shop.

the nightmare and hell begins -

i zeroed in my scope at 30 yards, i did think even without the chrono it was down on power compared to my other rifles, so out came the chrono 6.5 ft/lbs WTF. to say i was shocked and disappointed would be a under statement... i was in total denial that a rifle straight from the factory would be so low on power. it didnt stop there... the nightmare continued...

so, still in a somewhat daze about the power, i continued shooting, after maybe 30 pellets i cocked the rifle and noticed the tophat was further out then it was before. so off comes the bottle to have a look, my eyes must have been to the point of popping, the tophat had become loose, very loose, almost loosing it self to the point it was coming off completely.

this will not do. this will not do at all.

i emailed gunpower. sent the rifle back. got it back some days later, first thing i checked was that loose top hat. its now nice and stable. second thing i checked was the power, 11ft/lbs using .22 airarms.

its all going good (touch wood)

i zeroed the scope at 30 yards again, im getting penny size groups at that range, i chrono 30 pellets to test and give me a brief look in to its consistency, i only had a 7 fps spread in the 30 pellets. i do not know how many useful shots you would get from the 200cc buddy bottle, but i will investigate.

so after, returning a very poor rifle, i got a rifle thats got good power, deadly accurate, and seems to be consistent.

overall, its now a good rifle, that will do nicely for the rabbits at the farm.

i added some nice stuff.

mounted on the scope is a eotech
    45 degree iron sights mounted on barrel rail
    touch and folding forward grip mounted under barrel.

i still what to add a nd3 laser.

i do have reasons for the eotech and iron sights, i have very poor eyesight, i cant look though a scope for more then 4-5 seconds before my eyes go all funny on me, so the eotech is perfect for close - med range and the iron sights come in handy at close range.

the folding grip adds that extra support for steady holding, with all this bling, it still feels light compared to my dads r10.

im off rabbiting tomorrow, field report will be posted.

my advice to anyone buying a gunpower product, go see it first, test it. make sure its fit for your purpose. because its a gambling game with gunpower, nightmares to become reality. but im happy they sorted it.

Rats have declared war on my garden shed...

I really like the look of the HellCat and am considering one in .25 on my FAC - however I've heard so many nightmare stories about them that I think I'd actually prefer buying one second hand that had been professionally worked on.
    Glad you got it sorted anyway.

Cheers, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

evenbad Guest
    Looks a nice set up you have, glad all them problems you had have eventually been sorted. So much for quality control shocking in the way hellcat was delivered to you, happy shooting and keep us informed how your getting on.