Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just bought a webley alecto

just bought a webley alecto

Bought one of these yesterday and it is a quality piece of kit.

Everything about it feels well engineered and up to now seems v accurate.

I was toying with pcp pistol but the all in one power system seems to be more appealing to me.

What are people's opinions on these guns for target shooting?

Just bought one myself so still getting used to it's attributes.

Sure you will get some mixed responses regarding target use (from great to not the best), but I like the Alecto a great deal. The trigger is not as crisp as the HW40 but is very nice.

One notable feature for me is that it is easier to cock (once) than the HW40, which is easy enough anyway. Cocking once more is a bit more difficult than the HW40 but well worth the effort for extra power. I find the third pump is too much effort to be worthwhile.

There is a useful review below, which highlights the need for consistant cocking to achieve consistant velocity/accuracy. Sure enough it takes more effort to fully open the cocking lever than on the HW40.

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/webley_alecto

Is there noticeable power hike for the 3rd pump? Everyone says just stick to 2.

What distances are you shooting at accurately?

The increase in power output for the third pump is not as noticeable as the step up from one to two pumps. IIRC it goes something like 3fpe, 5fpe, 5.9fpe (previous owner gave me the actual values but do not have them to hand). Yes, two pumps is optimum, in fact one pump is easy, good for short range...and not too loud.

Have not had chance to use on a decent size range yet, needless to say it will be accurate enough....more accurate than I

I use one pump for the 6m range in my garage and two pumps for the clubs out door 20m range. Nice bit of kit really. Find it
    better than my HW45 silverstar on the 20m range but the HW is more fun for knocking cans over in the garden. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by M4tth3w View Post
    Is there noticeable power hike for the 3rd pump? Everyone says just stick to 2.

What distances are you shooting at accurately?
    You don't say which Cal you bought? For me with .20 find 1 pump for 8 to 15 yds (saves targets bouncing back up and pretty flat trajectory), 2 pumps 15 to 25 (flat again). At 20 yds groups of 10mm achieved. It possible to shoot out to 45-55 yds on two pumps (about 18-24 inches of hold over). so 3 pumps just not worth the 0.5 ft/lb increase.
    Soon dumped the cheap red dot's and ordered a Bushnell from the USA, pistol is very accurate and needs a quality sight with small dot. Not so keen on the standard open sights, would rather have something like a Williams on it. Don't over oil, come across a few now who had used too much and caused the action not to compress.

I got .177

When you say u got rid of the red dot do u mean lazer pointer or a red dot scope?

I've got Hawke red dot scope on mine. Don't know how accurate yet though as not had chance to use it.

Here's mine - I made a cut out for the scope so it all fitted into the case.

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/a...psnjzfqsvr.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by M4tth3w View Post
    I got .177

When you say u got rid of the red dot do u mean lazer pointer or a red dot scope?

I've got Hawke red dot scope on mine. Don't know how accurate yet though as not had chance to use it.
    No, just upgraded to the Bushnell Trophy, the dot is a lot smaller than the cheap red dot's, it marks the target not covers it.
    Found that once you started to look at targets further away, the cheap red dots covered an area 2 to 3 times the group area the pistol could do.

Yes I've noticed that too. The red dot isn't really a dot, it's more of a splat haha.

I have a red dot that looks very much like the Hawke pictured above, mine is branded 'JSR', is well made and has a pretty good 'small' dot. It has an 11mm dovetail fit and works well on a HW40, however I like to use open sights from time to time (fibre optic HW40 is good).

Sure enough too large a dot is a waste of time; I have a holographic type which has more of a blob than a small dot.

For the Alecto I am going to explore a mini laser on the lower weaver rail. This will allow me to use open sights or laser at any time. Starting out with a cheap one by Guntuff, will work the cost up if I get on with it in principle.

What about one of these 13 quid chinese jobbies with a tactical torch?

Waste of money or ok for plinking?

Don't have a need for a torch. I bought this very compact cheapo from JSR. I found a review of a similar (probably identical) cheap chinese one on UBC, but can not locate it right now.

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...yle-mount.html
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 20-10-2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Just located the short review of a mini laser, it was not on the UBC but on the AGF.

The item referred to on the bay is for a similar looking, but apparently not identical unit to the one from JSR (the item on the bay has a pressure switch).

I'm not expecting much for the price, just something to try and then select a better one if it proves useful.

/forums/showthread.php/109088-Laser-for-webley-alecto-(Or-other-under-barrel-weaver-rail-pistols)

Ordered one from jsr.

Cheers for that.
    Last edited by M4tth3w; 20-10-2014 at 07:56 PM.