Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What do people think of the hw99s

I have problems with Arthritis and wanted a light springer good quality. Had a good look round and decided on the HW99 .22 cal. I find it a joy to shoot, not difficult to cock. Although I had to put a scope on its still great, and accuracy so far is good. For £208 rifle only I thought it was a bargain. What more could you expect.
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

Well I picked up a new one today, popped a Hawke panorama 4-12x40 ir ev on it in a one piece mount, what a lovely light outfit!.
    Tried some daystate li,s, superdomes, falcons, it was windy and I was free hand and accuracy was non existent as was grouping but I'm not going to panic yet. Will find out what fodder suits her and then choose a calm day and a stable rest and see what happens then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    Well I picked up a new one today, popped a Hawke panorama 4-12x40 ir ev on it in a one piece mount, what a lovely light outfit!.
    Tried some daystate li,s, superdomes, falcons, it was windy and I was free hand and accuracy was non existent as was grouping but I'm not going to panic yet. Will find out what fodder suits her and then choose a calm day and a stable rest and see what happens then.
    What calibre MT? got the same scope on my .177 & an AA S200 silencer. Mine likes superdomes & H&N field target trophy. After a 1 tin honeymoon, I can hit 50mm discs at 60yds (3 out of 5) and the occasional hanging golfball at 65 yds.

The wise word on here is that its at its best in .22. TonyL & other wiser heads on here will likely comment further...
    Seize the Day! Quigley Hollow is a great place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by slinger69 View Post
    What calibre MT? got the same scope on my .177 & an AA S200 silencer. Mine likes superdomes & H&N field target trophy. After a 1 tin honeymoon, I can hit 50mm discs at 60yds (3 out of 5) and the occasional hanging golfball at 65 yds.

The wise word on here is that its at its best in .22. TonyL & other wiser heads on here will likely comment further...
    Me, wise? I think you have me mixed up with someone else, Gwyn!

I'm absolutely boinging mad, me!!

Yes, they are sweeter in the larger calibre. In .177, they run sweeter in the low 10s.

But even my recently acquired, totally standard one in .177 isn't exactly jumpy and exhibits remarkably little in the way of sight picture disturbance.

Mole Trapper - don't panic. Grab a calmer day. Relax. Get into a nice, comfortable, stable position, concentrate on correct, repeatable and consistent technique.....that little thing will surprise you.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks chaps, I have every confidence in her!. Went for the .22, will not be shortening or adding a moddy, but will be getting some work done on the internals.
    Funny thing was picking it up from the gunroom, they know I have an extensive collection of top end pcp,s and are totally thrown by me getting this one!

A .22 '99 will require very little in the way of internal fettling.....

The gun will do the business out of the box, a tune will just make it more refined.

Swept volume about right for us and not too heavy a piston, either.

Just a "spit and polish" tune and correctly fitting spring guide and top hat, sensible re-lube, job done. Piston sleeve whilst you're in there.

I prefer to wash the factory greasy gunk out of the trigger and lube with light machine oil / moly oil.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Good stuff thank you! I shall be talking to that fine fellow nicklebum about this one and the new 98! Trouble is catching up with him, I keep saying I'm going to and then I get waylaid.
    Must try harder.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    Good stuff thank you! I shall be talking to that fine fellow nicklebum about this one and the new 98! Trouble is catching up with him, I keep saying I'm going to and then I get waylaid.
    Must try harder.
    I'm at mums next weekend while everyone else is jollying it up in Nuneaton!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Ah nuts! I thought you'd managed to get everything in place! Sorry to hear that Nick.

Sorry, Nick.

It will not be the same without you.

Is there not any possible way around it?

Hope you all enjoy your family occasion Nick, Karen, & Co....

Will raise a glass to you in Quigly Hollow... maybe even a bucket if we're on fire.

@MT Withdrawing piston, watch out for its seal against the burrs usually found at the trigger end of the compression tube.
    Seize the Day! Quigley Hollow is a great place to start.

I've just bought one of these(HW99s) in .177 calibre,now that they've sorted the galling problem,and all I've done to it was remove the action from the stock and apply some moly grease to the spring through the cocking slot and a couple of drops of lube to the inside of the cylinder wall and the gun shoots fine,smooth virtually no twang or recoil.So all in all pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick 2 View Post
    I've just bought one of these(HW99s) in .177 calibre,now that they've sorted the galling problem,and all I've done to it was remove the action from the stock and apply some moly grease to the spring through the cocking slot and a couple of drops of lube to the inside of the cylinder wall and the gun shoots fine,smooth virtually no twang or recoil.So all in all pleased with it.
    Steady on the oil, though, Pat.

On my standard .177, all I've done to date was apply some moly paste to the underside of cocking lever and cocking slot. Seems to be bedding in nicely. Will shoot as is for now but will, in time, obtain top hat and tight fitting guide and reduce the spring slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Steady on the oil, though, Pat.

On my standard .177, all I've done to date was apply some moly paste to the underside of cocking lever and cocking slot. Seems to be bedding in nicely. Will shoot as is for now but will, in time, obtain top hat and tight fitting guide and reduce the spring slightly.
    Yep didn't overdo it,also lubed all the pivot points as well.The gun suits me as I have small hands ,might get a Rowan set back trigger later what do you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick 2 View Post
    Yep didn't overdo it,also lubed all the pivot points as well.The gun suits me as I have small hands ,might get a Rowan set back trigger later what do you reckon?
    Many people recommend the set back trigger by Rowan. I have arms like an ape, so its fine for me as standard
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25