Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ultimate Sci fi advancements

ultimate Sci fi advancements

Bit of fun for a dreary Monday evening; what airgun/live fire/optics advancements would you like to see in the world of shooting? The more sci-fi and out there the better. I'm talking full digital readout display scopes that automatically range find, and adjust for elevation and windage, and can be switched between normal, thermal and night vision. Bullets/pellets made of space age non toxic high density material. A robot caddy that carries your rifle round the hft course while you shoot at lifelike robotic targets...
    Cmon, let your imagination run riot!
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

Heat seeking pellets
    Belt fed break barrel

phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range
    I had one of those, but I had to say to the dealer, "If it doesn't work, I'll be back..!

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

A bit dated now, but Doc Smith's "Lensman" series of novels had some interesting descriptions of space combat, such as "coruscating beams of energy impinging upon shields of unimaginable strength..!"

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

I like the idea of the robotic targets... you could get them with various covers for zombies, terrorists, politicians etc..

But of course that would get the PC brigade seething... "look they're shooting at human targets, practicing for massacres....!"

Most would take away the enjoyment, so I'll settle for;

a laser range finder display built in, but no adjustment.

Robot targets that run off for a roughly pre-set distance and then sense noise & movement so they must be stalked, would be interesting.

invisibility cloak would be handy for sneaking up on bunnies . there getting smarter as i get older

Intelligent robot laser tag where it is almost as good as you are, first one to 5 hits wins. I have seen west world so nothing more lethal than an inferred laser.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Near Sci-Fi (like we will be reading about a prototype within 2 years... if not a LOT sooner):

Range finding and compensating scopes (already exist in CF form)

Environment/background aware camo - basically it reads the environment and adjusts colours to match

Biometric triggers - only work for the users pinkies...

Further out:

anti-grav pellets - no drop at all,
    same tech applied to rifles - dialable mass

genetically modified rabbits with customisable intelligence and threat profile ranges - blue is even dafter than normal, green fur is normal, red..well...

Really out-there

FT and HFT competitions where none of the competitors attempt to bend or twist the rules to gain a slight advantage...yeah..yeah..I know I'm pushing it with that one...
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

Motion trackers and 10mm caseless light Armourpiercing ammunition which amazingly fits 100 rounds into the space taken up by a 20 round Thompson magazine.
    Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint.

Some good ideas, keep 'em coming!
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

'The Star Fraction' by Ken Macleod features a sci fi mercenary sniper, whose extremely accurate weapon also offers all the facilities of a laptop & a forensics lab.

In Ian M. Banks 'Culture' novels humans can "gland" the upper & downer drugs of their choice by simply willing their endocrinal/glandular systems to produce and release them into the blood stream.
    Seize the Day! Quigley Hollow is a great place to start.

what about the invention of fembots?

to make the tea at the range of course

.177 Crosman Depleted Uranium Premiers....