Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do people think of the hw99s

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Most people who buy, and shoot air guns are not on forums either, this is the thin end of the wedge - something frequently forgotten on here imo
    Isn't that rather the point I was making?

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    They self destruct with the two piece cocking link, and used to never hit over 10.5 in 177, they were enough issues for me

The sweep is a too small for uk market, and really it appears to be a 'cheaper' made rifle than the 95 so HW could offer stepped prices like Diana.

The 'original version' of this rifle - the leather piston sealed 50, which made 8ftlbs was very pleasant. I'd always assumed the re badging of the hw50s to the 99 in the UK was because the rest of the world knew they weren't designed at a 16 joule rifle, whereas Brits are likely daft enough to swallow the marketing jargon. My opinion is mine, and if people want to buy a rifle that needs loads of work doing to get them to shoot OK, the decision is up to them of course. A 99 will always be a 'cheap' rifle, and whatever work people have done, as is seen time and time again on various forums - a bog standard HW95 is worth more, this speaks volumes cause it's a better rifle that has no major flaws (i.e. - they don't self destruct)
    is all im going to say to this...utter

a 99s in .22 needs next to nothing doing, open the box, shoot it, 210quid if you barter one down a little if you buy a scope and a bag to go with it.

a 95 is better suited to 12fpe in .177, that said a shorter stroked highly tuned one is even nicer, but for .22 a 99 is better imo.

mine has not self destructed it self...and i have abused mine way more than the average joe does on here, hundreds of quick succession chrono shots shooting strings testing springs and stroke changes etc...and it still looks like new and shoots nice.

Now im not saying the action could not be improved, i personally would do away with the articulated cocking link arm and go solid with a shoe like the 95, but I would keep the same stroke and piston weight unchanged....I would do this as it eases cocking effort.

So it seems they are a better rifle in .22

Mine was great (it was .22). I only got rid of it because I wanted full power in .177 - so I bought a 95 instead.

If you're happy with .22 then the 99 is a superb rifle. (Review on my website).

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Well just sold mine for £99! Only a few weeks old and fired maybe 20 pellets. Reason being I found it heavy and hard work to cock. I only use mine for target practise not hunting, so after 20 shots I was knackerd. Bear in mind though I have a dodgy shoulder and I am 67. I beautiful rifle well made and very accurate in .22
    Bloody bargain .......i'd of snapped ye hand off at that price.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Well it's seems that .22 is the preferd caliber and thanx for all the replys just got to see what I can get for the raider 10 that I will part x against it and shoot both and go from there.

I have got one in .22 and a .177.My .177 is doing 10.5 FPE and has a muzzle weight on the end of the barrel I can honestly say its the most accurate springer I have owned.I shoot the .22 with the open sights but it does shoot nicer than the .177.The only thing I don't like about it is the triggers are a bit of a stretch if you have got small hands,but you can buy a set back trigger to sort that out.

You wont regret buying one mate and if for any reason you don't like it you would sell it in a flash and not lose much money.

I have one in each calibre.

Both lovely.

The more recent one is a .177. 10.6 ft.lbs out of the box. I've only tested with 'Domes. Apart from a little twang, it shoots beautifully, with far better manners than you'd expect and far less sight picture disturbance than you'd guess at. Quite a few people tried it at the September Bash. Anyone that hadn't shot a 99 before was very pleasantly surprised. And they all said, "It hits what you point it at, doesn't it?".

The .22 I have is sweeter still but, to be fair I also fitted a WonkyDonky spring, guide and top hat set-up. Absolutely lovely. I bought it used last year. It had never been opened up and was doing 13.5 ft.lbs!!! The gun had evidence of galling on the underside of the cylinder (obviously an earlier one), but simply some smoothing off of the galling marks and the lever and application of some dry moly powder and then moly grease has made it buttery smooth.

Get one, you'll love it!

Be interesting to try a .20....
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

i have had one in 177 for many years and despite owning more expensive heavier guns this little springer is the one i shoot the best with.
    got it mail order as a bad weather gun cos it was so cheap but still a quality gun.
    yes they are less heavily engineered inside than the 95,s 80,s etc but thats why they do not cost as much.
    i have not had any problems with mine and shoots 11 ft/lbs.
    i fitted the silencer designed for this model that copes with open sights .
    i had a few good humoured comments about how long the rifle was with the silencer fitted but it does work and best of all it is more accurate as it reduces any muzzle flip.
    i have posted recently on here about getting the hw30 because it is such a sweet shooting gun and got a few recommendations for the 99 in 22.
    i have not tried one in 22 but if it shoots sweeter than my 177 then i may be tempted to get one.

The 99 is a nice little gun but I dont think I would be selling a webley raider 10 to buy one. Especially if you have the birmingham made one.
    hoplophobe

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Be interesting to try a .20....
    I'm not sure mine will arrive in time for the bash unfortunately

Very long lead time for any HW in 5mm it seems...

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    The 99 is a nice little gun but I dont think I would be selling a webley raider 10 to buy one. Especially if you have the birmingham made one.
    Thinking of selling the raider 10 as it doesn't get used much as my r10 is my go to gun also the raider is a 2012 model so prob a Turkish made gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    is all im going to say to this...utter

a 99s in .22 needs next to nothing doing, open the box, shoot it, 210quid if you barter one down a little if you buy a scope and a bag to go with it.

a 95 is better suited to 12fpe in .177, that said a shorter stroked highly tuned one is even nicer, but for .22 a 99 is better imo.

mine has not self destructed it self...and i have abused mine way more than the average joe does on here, hundreds of quick succession chrono shots shooting strings testing springs and stroke changes etc...and it still looks like new and shoots nice.

Now im not saying the action could not be improved, i personally would do away with the articulated cocking link arm and go solid with a shoe like the 95, but I would keep the same stroke and piston weight unchanged....I would do this as it eases cocking effort.
    That's ma boy, there is someone who engage's brain before mouth, up there for thinking down there for dancing, had every hw the 95 was the most jumpy of all,

I agree. My two HW95s in 177 were a great disappointment. Very jumpy.

I like the look and feel of the gun, and would buy another, but only if I had the extra cash to have someone sort it for me.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I'm not sure mine will arrive in time for the bash unfortunately

Very long lead time for any HW in 5mm it seems...

Matty
    You lucky, lucky boy!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!