Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do people think of the hw99s

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I agree. My two HW95s in 177 were a great disappointment. Very jumpy.

I like the look and feel of the gun, and would buy another, but only if I had the extra cash to have someone sort it for me.
    Get yourself a 99 in .22 best hw out of the box, carry it all day and still do standing shots, as accurate as 77 97 more so if you have carried one of them all day, and on a cold winter's day you'll get 3 shots to a 77 97 one shot with frozen fingers.

Well I got down the rfd today with the raider and they did a straight swap for the 99s and I'm well pleased with my new toy so guys what mods make this great little gun that bit nicer?

Best mod for a 99 would be to shoot a couple or three thousand pellets through it.

Seriously, they are pretty well balanced internally as standard, a well run in springer will often shoot like a well tuned springer.

If it's a .22, it already shoots well enough... however ...! I have just added a Vortek kit to mine which has taken it to quite another level. My barrel sleeve has made it very steady in the hold, and I'd also like a set=-back trigger. For now, though, just get out and enjoy it would be my suggestion
    I'm the last person you think I am, unless you think I'm Neil Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post
    If it's a .22, it already shoots well enough... however ...! I have just added a Vortek kit to mine which has taken it to quite another level. My barrel sleeve has made it very steady in the hold, and I'd also like a set=-back trigger. For now, though, just get out and enjoy it would be my suggestion
    It's a .177 and it's lovely to shoot not that jumpy or twangy well the last springer I owned was an old lightning do this is a different world compared to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1981 View Post
    It's a .177 and it's lovely to shoot not that jumpy or twangy well the last springer I owned was an old lightning do this is a different world compared to that.
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Or if you really want to fiddle, buy a second one and mod that one, so if it all goes wrong (and it can!) you arent with a working rifle.

audiguypaul is offline Has been known to sneeze at mice
    maybe one of the tinbum drop in kits.
    AA s510 .177 Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44. AA s510 .22 Mamba Lite 4-16x44 diy NV.
    AA TX200 177 WD Tune Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40. HW99s .22 WD Tune Meopta 6x42 4a

Quote Originally Posted by audiguypaul View Post
    maybe one of the tinbum drop in kits.
    Are the tinbum kits any good and is this gun easy to strip?

Ah! Why does everyone want to improve something thats already lovely.

Rant over....

Quote Originally Posted by vobster View Post
    Ah! Why does everyone want to improve something thats already lovely.

Rant over....
    Coz it is in our nature to fiddle with mass produce items to make them as good as they can be 😀

Are the tinbum kits any good and is this gun easy to strip?
    Yes and yes
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Nice one Mr Lightning. Enjoy!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nice one Mr Lightning. Enjoy!!

Thanks TonyL I plan on enjoying it and it's been fun with the open sites. I got a bit carried away earlier I only ment to put a couple of pellets through it and about 50 or so later I realised it was time to sort the kids out. And I had run out of targets for in the garden. 😊

Thanks TonyL I plan on enjoying it and it's been fun with the open sites. I got a bit carried away earlier I only ment to put a couple of pellets through it and about 50 or so later I realised it was time to sort the kids out. And I had run out of targets for in the garden. 😊
    Indeed. Very addictive and hard to put down.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    Where have you been?

I hate to sound an arrogant tw@t ...

... but many many years ago ... must be way over 10 ... my mate bought one in 0.22.

Cocked awful ... galling issue on the articulated cocking lever. I polished that up and added some grease and that was easily sorted. I squared off the spring and added a top hat and a decent rear guide. Dead easy, kitchen table tune up.

That little gun shot superbly. I did some investigations and it seemed like the 99s, in 0.22 anyway, were basically perfect for the UK 12fp market. The swept volume of the rifle etc is running at it's design efficiency at about this power level.

I was ranting about this little gun all those years ago but no one really seemed interested. Everyone was raving about the 95 as a light weight break barrel springer.

The 95 tuned up and running at it's best is more like a 15fp+ rifle. The 99 doesn't have to be crippled to run at 12fp. It is running at it's best at 12fp.

It has the same quality Rekord trigger as the rest of the top end HW's.

All these years later Sandwell Field Sports tidy up the insides of a 0.22 99, shorten the barrel and put a silencer on the front and they have created the new Messiah.

Since then this little HW has been the talk of the town with everyone raving about the SFS gun ( The Imp ) with others commenting on how easy it is to tune and shoot well.

The galling issue with the cocking has been sorted by the manufacturers now.

In 0.22 it's a dead easy gun to get shooting sweet as a nut and it will shoot very accurately with a great trigger.

In 0.177 it is probably best at a lower level of about 10 - 10.5fp but that's typical of lighter weight break barrel springers. Bigtoe, Wonky and the other pro tuners will have more knowledge of how to get the 0.177 shooting very sweet.

Loads and loads of threads on here in the last couple of years raving about how good they are. So a search will tell you all you will ever need to know.

Plenty will come on and tell you how good this little rifle is.
    With some careful tuning, the .177's can touch 14 fpe without being harsh, but a Maccari spring is needed. (and an FAC). I'm with you though Bozzer..I like it smack dab on 12 ft/lbs (but in .177 rather than .22). My shooting bud has one in .22 and I like it as well. I think his shoots Accupells at 605 fps and its a great backyard can smasher.