Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A few ramblings

not that im quite as techy-aware as you guys, but i had a happy moment today that may or may not add info here.
    today my pro elite arrived in the post, new to me , and a stunning bit of kit it is too........now heres the interesting bit, its been shortstroked by dave hall apparently, [ i would guess by the barrel drop its a piston extention rather than longer rod] and a few shots to chrono it and check it over showed me what a pro tuned rifle should feel like , its fast, with a nice 'thunk' ... no bounce, no slam........ but , by comparison, my home tuned tx moves less
    i havnt done anything spectacular to my tx [mods below] , but todays comparison has shown me i must be on the right track so far.

tx 200 full length .177
    shortstroked via longer rod to 83 or 84mm [cant remember]
    standard port size and length
    piston [with rod fitted] now@ 203 gramms
    delrin tophat and guide/slipwasher
    titan spring [for the mk1/2 version tx] cut to suit
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

Nice one.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Slugger, strip it, weigh the piston, anything over 250g is to heavy for sub12. If its been nose extended it will be to heavy

thanks m8 ... its one of those enlightenment moments.. for months ive 'thought' my tx was a nice shot cycle . but [apart from jons videos] i had nothing to go on by means of comparison..
    i think all this modding is adictive , out of all my rifles the only standard one is the theoben evo.........oh, except i have modded the trigger a little , but that doesnt count

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    Slugger, strip it, weigh the piston, anything over 250g is to heavy for sub12. If its been nose extended it will be to heavy
    ahh ok, will do tone ..... i was thinking i should take if out for a days shooting first tho , so that i can get the feel for it, then i will appreciate any improvement it future

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    ahh ok, will do tone ..... i was thinking i should take if out for a days shooting first tho , so that i can get the feel for it, then i will appreciate any improvement it future
    sounds like a good plan

Quote Originally Posted by Two200's View Post
    I have never done the TP/ Stroke / Weight mods, but have slicked up a couple of TX's with tuning kits.
    I had them shooting without a hint of twang and very consistently.

One thing i did notice and do notice with every TX i shoot is the god awful metallic clank of the skirt of the piston hammering into the compression tube and driving the whole lot forward to muller the oring seals.

I notice it on every one i shoot and i hate it, its enough to give me a headache especially if the stock is walnut.

I know the TX's are great guns and of course revered.
    But i have a number of bugs with these guns and the clank is one of them.
    Went and measured a few of my TX pistons and comp. tubes. With the piston bottomed in the tube, there is an average of 3.5mm clearance between the rear or the tube and the leading edge of the pistons rear bearing boss. The sound must come from somewhere else because these points can't touch.

curiosity got the better of me [pro elite] .... piston with rod and nose extention= 395 gramma ..... looks like a delrin nose extention made to fit an hw seal [hw80 seal]..... gonna measure port and stroke now........

81mm stroke .. 30mm tube ..... 3mm [ish] port [didnt take barrel off so tricky to be sure] ... to be fair it shoots ok, but i think a bit of piston lightening is in order and maybe a slightly larger port ?
    the piston is gonna be tricky to lose weight tho...... cant just chuck it in a lathe , there a flat surface that the cocking shoe lives in , and removal of weight lathe-style will lose the walls of the flat spot and thus lose the nice "guides" for the shoe , if you know what i mean.. i think this one will require holes milled and therefore a spring sleeve , bugger