Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PCP-Plinking Bored!

PCP-Plinking Bored!

Hi all

Anyone else under whelmed by their PCP?

Not in a bad way, the technology and craftsmanship are superb it is just the sheer repeatability that has got monotonous!

I understand these virtues are a blessing when hunting vermin, accuracy, shot placement, lack of recoil are paramount as well as the option of a speedy back up or fresh opportunity shot at your fingertips.

Two months ago bought an absolutely brand new superb AAS510 in .177, fantastic bit of kit all scoped up and ready to roll.

Luckily I've got 70 yards of garden to play in so out of the shed came all the knock down and spinning targets after a long hibernation, set up from ranges of 15 yards to the max, even got a substantial target that takes 12 bore blanks end on that you have to hit the primer through decreasing front plate hole sizes.

I'm almost through the first tin of pellets, and in truth it is getting to the point of why bother?, it's more surprising when something doesn't fall down, spin or whizz or bang!

Trust me I'm not for one minute suggesting I'm super marksman, I get to sit on my fat arse and shoot from a supported position all comfy with a brew and roll ups to hand so not exactly crawling through the undergrowth bent round corners trying to line a shot.

But it has got to the point where the springer's now come out to play, whereby it takes ten or more shots to hit a blank charge at 40 yards or that elusive pea sized spinner at the max and makes me want to do more.

Is it me???

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    Nope me and the lads i shoot with have said the same, we get the springers out for a few sessions,then back to the pcps. It`s a good thing going back to springers keeps your technique sharp .

Yeah, it's you

I never fully understand why people shoot supported, like off a bench & bean bags, then complain that it's too easy!

So, bench-resting a springer is more fun because you miss more often??

To me, that kind of shooting is fine, and can be fun - but it's just bench-testing the rig, really. Without much involvment from the shooter.

Natural next-step is shooting from standing, kneeling, sitting, prone etc. Or I suppose going on to proper BR shooting (where half a mm counts!).

So no, I don't get it
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 20-10-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Yeah, it's you

I never fully understand why people shoot supported, like off a bench & bean bags, then complain that it's too easy!

So, bench-resting a springer is more fun because you miss more often??

To me, that kind of shooting is fine, and can be fun - but it's just bench-testing the rig, really. Without much involvment from the shooter.

Natural next-step is shooting from standing, kneeling, sitting, prone etc. Or I suppose going on to proper BR shooting (where half a mm counts!).

So no, I don't get it
    Totally agree with RB here. if i were in your shoes i would trying to shoot a 10 spot card with the PCP or going for the tightest 5 shot group ever seen
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

I have been down that road.
    Shooting off the knee is the way for me, 55yds with high magnification. Your heartbeat will move the point of aim more than a kill zone away and the skill is then in the control of your own body.
    So you know the gun is good, more importantly you know the gun won't let you down if you do your bit - now the fun and challenge comes from training yourself.

Right I'll get the DPM cabbage gear out of the loft and start stalking round the rose bush and BBQ

Hear what you're saying gents, yeah it is me, like toad of toad hall, got the attention and interest span of a fly!

Dunno but the springer's make me feel like I'm shooting and part of the process whereas the 'clinical' nature of the pcp feels like the technology is so forgiving I'm cancelled out of the equation some how.
    Last edited by slowcoach; 20-10-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
    Hi all

Anyone else under whelmed by their PCP?

Not in a bad way, the technology and craftsmanship are superb it is just the sheer repeatability that has got monotonous!

I understand these virtues are a blessing when hunting vermin, accuracy, shot placement, lack of recoil are paramount as well as the option of a speedy back up or fresh opportunity shot at your fingertips.

Two months ago bought an absolutely brand new superb AAS510 in .177, fantastic bit of kit all scoped up and ready to roll.

Luckily I've got 70 yards of garden to play in so out of the shed came all the knock down and spinning targets after a long hibernation, set up from ranges of 15 yards to the max, even got a substantial target that takes 12 bore blanks end on that you have to hit the primer through decreasing front plate hole sizes.

I'm almost through the first tin of pellets, and in truth it is getting to the point of why bother?, it's more surprising when something doesn't fall down, spin or whizz or bang!

Trust me I'm not for one minute suggesting I'm super marksman, I get to sit on my fat arse and shoot from a supported position all comfy with a brew and roll ups to hand so not exactly crawling through the undergrowth bent round corners trying to line a shot.

But it has got to the point where the springer's now come out to play, whereby it takes ten or more shots to hit a blank charge at 40 yards or that elusive pea sized spinner at the max and makes me want to do more.

Is it me???

Same. PCP's are boring, springers rule!

Well, for plinking and perhaps targets anyway. I'd always go pcp for hunting however.

Join a smallbore club and start shooting LSR comps. Will challenge you and not the rifle.

List of smallbore clubs in Bucks. Are there really only four We have about 30 in Surrey

And if you hand the practice of shooting standing up will help give you confidence when out in the field.

Cheers B Barrel

To my shame got bored of that as well All strapped up like a haggis in jacket, sling and glove toting a 12lb rifle trying to shoot the full stop.

Blimey it's a wonder the clay shooting and lamping have lasted so long!

Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
    Cheers B Barrel

To my shame got bored of that as well All strapped up like a haggis in jacket, sling and glove toting a 12lb rifle trying to shoot the full stop.

Blimey it's a wonder the clay shooting and lamping have lasted so long!
    That's not LSR. LSR is walking off the street with your hunting rifle, no slings, no jackets, just you and your rifle. As much of a challenge as you can ask for. You'll probably never get a perfect 100 and will always strive to improve.

And a much nicer bunch of people than the 'proners'

Hmmmmmm.

Shoot HFT or FT

Try shooting one or both of these discipline's, guarantee you will not be bored or think its too easy.

Yeah they can get a little tiresome, I get round this by owning several springers as well !

Does you good to keep a finger in the ole springer pie !...

Try it tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by stryder5 View Post
    Try shooting one or both of these discipline's, guarantee you will not be bored or think its too easy.
    Totally agree with the above...Nothing more boring than a pcp for back yard plinking/target practice though...