Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PCP-Plinking Bored!

Target shooting for me is with springers, and hunting is with pcp,s,& rimfires & shotguns
    atb brian

Also found my HW 100 to be boringly accurate. As was said earlier in the thread pistol shooting can be more challenging and fun. gingernut on bbs and myself like to stand shooting at at small plastic ball with our target pistols, chasing it down the range with hits till out of sight. Because our range has rough grass it sometimes likes to hide as it gets fed with being perforated. Good fun trying to move it. Reminds me of my favourite shooting, a Browning Medallist pistol with 500 rounds of .22 in the African bush. Take a minute to think of the poor rock lizards and Dussies.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

There's an intermediate ground - pump ups!
    Shooting my Ace is very satisfying, it's PCP accurate but because I've had to put 4 pumps in for every shot it somehow feels more rewarding when the target is dropped.
    I also find it more rewarding to shoot a gun that you've rebuilt yourself. Just buying a PCP, shooting it and returning it to the gunsmith for a service is a bit too much like just buying and driving a car. It's a lot more satisfying to drive a car you built (or rebuilt).
    It can be difficult with some PCPs obviously, again that's where the pump-ups are good - there's no harmful pressures around once the gun is fired and if you get it wrong on the rebuild it won't blow up in your face

Cheers guys trust me I'm converted and will pursue in the near future, maybe that 510 can hang around a bit longer then

Yep know what you mean Kev re the garden, it does spoil you airgun wise, try and do the pruning via flying lead where possible ( bloody old plum tree must have a ton of lead in it now but still resisting my best efforts to topple it) and the nearest neighbour is 200 yards away, in her 90's and thankfully deaf as a post hence the 12 bore black powder blanks have not had anyone squeaking, hooting and doing a country dance when they let rip!

Quote Originally Posted by brian747 View Post
    Target shooting for me is with springers, and hunting is with pcp,s,& rimfires & shotguns
    atb brian
    Thousands of springer shooters over many decades would disagree with your theory matey !...

You can't beat a good, accurate and reliable springer out in the hunting field if used correctly buddy !...

I'd trust ANY of my four rifles to get the job done out in the field without question (I've got 2 break barrel springers, 1 break barrel rammer and a PCP) and the one rifle that I simply wouldn't do without is my "Webley Xocet" complete with open/iron sights cos it's NEVER let me down' even after over 10 years of hard graft and many thousands of shots it's still pumping out 11.4fpe accurately !...
    Last edited by TORNADOS7; 21-10-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Try challenging yourself outside your comfort zone,shoot left handed (assuming your right handed ) takes some getting used to but bloody rewarding when you crack it .

Quote Originally Posted by Gerjor View Post
    Try challenging yourself outside your comfort zone,shoot left handed (assuming your right handed ) takes some getting used to but bloody rewarding when you crack it .
    Believe me matey I've tried it a time or two, not easy is it !...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Believe me matey I've tried it a time or two, not easy is it !...
    Difficult enough with an air rifle ,with a 12 bore it can be very painful as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Gerjor View Post
    Difficult enough with an air rifle ,with a 12 bore it can be very painful as well .
    Been a long time since I last used a 12 gauge buddy, it would probably hurt which ever shoulder I used !...

Just to stir things up a little with the springer purists.

Springers, on average, are not as accurate as PCP's, fact.........have a look at the last decade of competition scores on both the FT and HFT circuits and you will consistantly see springers at least 5 shots off the top score. Springers that do well have been tuned so much as to try and be as close to a PCP in firing cycle as possible......then why not use a PCP?

And yes...i've owned many springers including a Venom.

And No, i've never been able to shoot one accurately.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Me too - never met a springer that shot straight (and yes I know it's my fault)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Yeah, it's you

I never fully understand why people shoot supported, like off a bench & bean bags, then complain that it's too easy!

So, bench-resting a springer is more fun because you miss more often??

To me, that kind of shooting is fine, and can be fun - but it's just bench-testing the rig, really. Without much involvment from the shooter.

Natural next-step is shooting from standing, kneeling, sitting, prone etc. Or I suppose going on to proper BR shooting (where half a mm counts!).

So no, I don't get it
    Well said.
    HFT has been mentioned, very challenging, just one shot at a target, guessing distance and judging wind, shooting prone, kneeling and standing.
    Someone said house work wont kill you, but I say 'why take that chance'
    www.airgunshooter.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Springers, on average, are not as accurate as PCP's, fact.........have a look at the last decade of competition scores on both the FT and HFT circuits and you will consistantly see springers at least 5 shots off the top score. Springers that do well have been tuned so much as to try and be as close to a PCP in firing cycle as possible......then why not use a PCP?

I dont think its down to the fact that springers recoil, I think its because you cant see how much you've missed by and thereby correct for the next shots. With a steyr I can see the pellet, with a springer, no chance.

Chris my little MMlover, mine seems to be as accurate or close to as my walther. The problem with mine is being able to keep that group in the same place for more than a few hours. That combined with not seeing the shots land all the time means that when it has one of it's hissy fits, it takes a while to see what's gone on, and then to guess some new numbers, before the end of the course. I'm hoping i've got to the bottom of it though. Hopefully if you're doing the PJ Champs next year we can have a bash with it then. And if it fails I'll bash something with it.

Can't say I agree there Chris, same pellets, same barrels, Springer consistency is as good as a precharge so accuracy has the potential to be equal!

What is not equal however is the ease of use, a precharge is very easy to shoot, as long as you can steady the crosshairs where you need them for range and wind then it's going to hit where you want no matter how you hold it!

Springers are a completely different beast, you have to have your hold and follow through absolutely perfect or it's going to punish you!

So to me it's not a matter of accuracy, it's a matter of how easy it is to achieve that accuracy!