Thread: BSA Goldstar

BSA Goldstar

Just repaired an old Goldstar. Outer sliding compression cylinder was blocked by lead particles which apparently came from pellets falling out backwards from the magazine. Anyone had this problem ? Lovely rifle, probably one of the last quality springers from them. Many thanks to the helpfull Mr. Bowkett for info on how to remove the buffered scope rail. Would have never guessed.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Different to whole pellets falling backwards then?
    I try not to point mine up when loading.

They are quality guns that are pleasant to use and the new BSA mags work well.
    Unique? Apart from the heavy and expensive Theoben job-SR8?

Shame they were discontinued but maybe required too much sympathy from the operator like the Daystate PH 6 I bought.
    That had a .177 pellet stuck to the hammer and it is a .22!

GoldStar

Many thanks to the helpful Mr. Bowkett for info on how to remove the buffered scope rail. Would have never guessed.

Do tell - I'm currently wondering whether to attempt a renovation on mine. I have - thanks to a bbs member - a stripdown article on it from a magazine, but I think it skips over this point.
    I'm not sure exactly what happened with mine - the trigger went 'dead' when a mate was using it on my plinking range.
    Taking off the stock revealed the trigger/safety catch hairspring (?) had broken.
    I must confess, I then put it into the back of the shed.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Many thanks to the helpful Mr. Bowkett for info on how to remove the buffered scope rail. Would have never guessed.

Do tell - I'm currently wondering whether to attempt a renovation on mine......
    Yep. I'd be interested as well.

When you open the rifle, look down the main tube and you will see a machined slot on the top where the sight rail fits. The rail has lugs that lock into this slot. Rubber gasket gives a spring tension between the rail and rifle. This needs to be compressed by using a clamp, then the rail can be tapped forward with a wooden dowel so the lugs move into wider slots and get freed up. I was also told that sometimes glue was used in the assembly method.Of course you must remove the one screw at the back first.
    ( the thinwire safety spring for the trigger would be easy to make yourself. It stops the rifle being fired while the cocking lever is not in locked position.)

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 21-10-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Thanks for that, BenelliB76.

Bru.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

JB is a really nice, helpful chap. He did a SUPERB job on blueprinting my Ultra, which I was skeptical about buying in the first place with all the QC stuff about BSA.
    I bought an Old Hornet cheap, too recently purely as I knew JB would be able to sort any probs. He had had this rifle for an early blue print years before, so did a full service at a really decent rate for me. I now have perfect pair - compact Ultra for vehicle, and full sized rifle for general use. I know BSA springers can be fiddly, but the pcp's are cracking when built to original design specs (or put to design specs), and the SS & GS, Challenger, RB Airsporters really are cracking rifles too, despite their complexities .....

Goldstar

Yes,I've had the same problem as Baz but I got over it with frequent lubrication
    and using different pellets.I believe the higher the quality of the pellets the better
    the repeating performance of the Goldstar.I bought mine new and believe it was one
    of the last made.One of the great BSA underlevers.
    atb Glyn

That's a good point.
    You do not want bits of swarf on your pellets!