Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun blue at home - possible or not?

Gun blue at home - possible or not?

I may have a project on the horizon, looks like a lot of surface rust on receiver and barrel.
    Is there any way to restore the blue, without sending it away?
    Obviously there'll be an amount of rubbing down and polishing involved, but are there any snake oils available that I can paint on at home?

Absolutely possible - put the kettle on, make some tea, take the phone off the hook, get comfy then click here

Hi bob... theres a great and lengthy thread on here about fume bluing called ' its a bit rusty' by Mick T20... its not a 5 minute job but well worth it and well worth the read too... it shouldn't be too far down the general airgun forum as someone posted in it earlier today.. in fact i think it might be in the collectables section..
    Last edited by thisisdonald; 21-10-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: need to type faster - excuse.. on my phone!

There are some cold blueing products about. I am just in the middle of cleaning up an old BSA underlever…. I’m using Birchwood Casey Blueing kit… I obviously want to use the rifle but it was in a bit of a state… it has taken quite a while to clean it up but I put the blueing on this morning & it looks not too bad. I’ve opted for a dark colour because there are some patches I couldn’t rub out without losing the serial number & factory marks But I’m happy so far & it is very easy to do… It’s the first time ive used this product as I just want a clean up really to stop getting covered in rust every time I pick it up…3 coats has done the job & there is ample in the kit … About £20…..Pictures below….

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127161...7/14971455994/

G96 gun blue creme Bob.
    I seem to be answering all your posts today!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    G96 gun blue creme Bob.
    I seem to be answering all your posts today!
    Stalker

Here's two votes for slow rust at home

woah - just as well I was reading this - nearly forgot to take daves tx out of the fumes!!! .. its only had an extra 1/2 hour - itll be fine dave.. i promise!

Thanks chaps, I think I'll have a go with that Birchwood Casey kit - it looks to have everything I need in one packet.

I used the Birchwood Casey kit with the paste/gel on mine as it is easier to see where you have been & when you have washed it off... Its had 24 hours since I finished & it is looking pretty good. You might want to get a few extra swabs though as they only provide 2, Good luck with the project, ATB, Simon.

It is my impression that cold blue is pretty shallow and does not wear well.

I think thats true of some.
    I find G96 is much better and actually seems to work first time!

Yes I think you are right, cold blue is not going to give the quality of more traditional & some other methods. However, it depends what you are after, In my case I am cleaning up a very old rifle to use on targets as well as stopping its condition from getting any worse. If it were a more modern piece that I was going to use in the field as it were, I would probably look at different methods. The cost of a cold blue kit is about the same price of just posting a rifle to be blued elsewhere, Yes it may be a compromise but the rust is gone, the gun is cleaned, oiled & going to be used. Where once it languished in an old shed, now it is loved again & all the better for its ‘make-over’. In answer to the thread, These days there are affordable ways for ‘Joe Bloggs’ to try it himself even if that may be of a lesser quality. I’m quite happy with the finish achieved with this kit, especially as it contains everything you need.

Have a look at Ceracoat , Guncoat and other such firearms finishes, if your not after classic polished bluing but want a more robust and cost effective finish than cold blue then these are suitable!

Cold blue rubs off extremely quickly and doesn't tolerate sweat or oils very well at all, but quality hot tank bluing is expensive, the firearms paints are cheaper very good for a practical working rifle.

I think cold bluing is ok for small areas or touching up but on large areas such as a complete gun it doesn't seem so good and it's certainly not as durable as hot bluing but perhaps it's just me when I've tried it.