Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top Springers for 200 quid new

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    John Rothery and Cometa list at least 3 versions of 400, including a longer barrel version / open sights

I might have to have a 400 again at some point just to thrust into peoples hands and say 'go on then - tell me they are no good now you're shooting this
    I had a 400S, nice gun, even better once it was short stroked and the piston lightened a little...not bad at all for 80quid second hand.

Slight thread driftage here, but at what point does a new cheaper rifle become a better prospect than an equally priced second hand example?
    I've noticed that the vast majority of threads started about cheap new rifles enevitibly end up extolling the virtues of buying second hand, but how do the two options balance up?
    With a new rifle you get a warranty, you can just go to a shop that stocks it and pick it straight up, you don't have to spend time finding a decent example of the model you've chosen...
    I'm not saying that buying second hand is wrong, just wondering when/if buying new is the better option?
    Back on thread; Gamo whisper IGT, decent value and pretty good performance for under 200 quid.
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

Quote Originally Posted by boozybloke View Post
    Slight thread driftage here, but at what point does a new cheaper rifle become a better prospect than an equally priced second hand example?
    I've noticed that the vast majority of threads started about cheap new rifles enevitibly end up extolling the virtues of buying second hand, but how do the two options balance up?
    With a new rifle you get a warranty, you can just go to a shop that stocks it and pick it straight up, you don't have to spend time finding a decent example of the model you've chosen...
    I'm not saying that buying second hand is wrong, just wondering when/if buying new is the better option?
    Back on thread; Gamo whisper IGT, decent value and pretty good performance for under 200 quid.
    Sounds like an excellent topic as a thread starter

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    hello, what about a CZ SLAVIA 634, a light and well made springer, i have one in .22 with a MWSS silencer fitted and much quieter, it shoots well but with a good tune up would be even better, fitted with a 3x9x40 scope and 2 good mounts, good with superdomes
    I've never tried the late CZ634s , though I reckon that is an excellent suggestion from what I've read about them ! Thanks

Sounds like an excellent topic as a thread starter
    You're right of course, was in no way meant to derail your thread
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

The only real contender here is the walther, the rest either have shit triggers or are designed to shoot 18fpe+ and run crappy weak springs to get them legal in the uk.

The sooner the trade start designing guns that are for our power level, the sooner we will have good guns for 200quid

I've never used or owned a Cometa. However, when doing some research once, it appears that the general consensus was that they are the best engineered of the Spanish guns? That 400 looks nice, too.

A few reviews starting to appear on the little Terrus now, and seem favourable.

I'd certainly like to get my hands on a 634 too, one day. By all accounts, well built and VERY good barrels?

If full power wasn't required, I'd definitely recommend the HW30S. Beautiful, sweet shooting rifle, very well mannered, accurate, forgiving and with the fantastic Rekord trigger.

For a budget option, I'd also be having a close look at the Hatsan 55/60 with the Quattro trigger unit.

And sorry, I know the OP said no to this one, but I'd go for the 99!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    The only real contender here is the walther, the rest either have shit triggers or are designed to shoot 18fpe+ and run crappy weak springs to get them legal in the uk.

The sooner the trade start designing guns that are for our power level, the sooner we will have good guns for 200quid
    I don't think the UK market is big enough for a dedicated rifle design, I reckon the designs will always be 'middle ish' to cater for European market variance in ME legalities

Hatsan Mod 55s/60s - with change for scope and pellets - or the 60s with Vortex gas-strut...

Slavia 634

I've never tried the late CZ634s , though I reckon that is an excellent suggestion from what I've read about them ! Thanks
    I have a 634 in .22,fitted a brass spring guide, gave it a relube while i was in there.
    Easy peasy to strip,good lockup, very accurate on accupells,11ft lb and it drops rabbits.
    Feels like a small FWB Sport...and looks like one ..a bit.
    Better all round than the Supersport and lightnings i've had in the past.
    13 mm scope rails on mine....trigger better for a polish.
    Best bit ..it was £120 new when i bought it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

For £200 you can get a Hatsan 55s(.177) or 60s(.22) and a scope or have about £50 left for something else.They're well made,have a walnut stock and the very good Quattro trigger,probably the best trigger on any budget gun and equal to the triggers on some more expensive guns.I've looked at the Remington in the flesh and it is a well finished attractive gun but as one other poster said it does have a long reach to the trigger so youngsters may find it a bit of a stretch.

my mate did a spit and polish tuned a hatsan 60 very well made rifle for the money [don't know how thay do it] ok as std , nice tuned .iv had a look at a remmington express before all the hype it looked very well made but nether shoot it .iv got a very heavly tuned smk xs20 [the older one with a copy of the record trigger] and it shoots / cocks better than any sfs tuned hw iv ever shoot so thay get a vote imo .in the near future like to get my hands on a hw99s and see wot all the fuss is about in std form AND THEN TUNE IT ?
    atb JOHN
    ATB JOHN
    hw 100, hw80 mk1, smk xs20, bsa scorpion pistol, feinwerkbau 127, hw99s

You'll love the 99, John.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by gibboj View Post
    my mate did a spit and polish tuned a hatsan 60 very well made rifle for the money [don't know how thay do it] ok as std , nice tuned .iv had a look at a remmington express before all the hype it looked very well made but nether shoot it .iv got a very heavly tuned smk xs20 [the older one with a copy of the record trigger] and it shoots / cocks better than any sfs tuned hw iv ever shoot so thay get a vote imo .in the near future like to get my hands on a hw99s and see wot all the fuss is about in std form AND THEN TUNE IT ?
    atb JOHN
    Just bought a brand new HW99s(.177) on saturday now that they've got that galling problem sorted out.I've only put about 50-60 pellets through it so far but I did remove the action from the stock to see if it had any lube in it,did have some grease on the spring and around the cocking slot but I put a bit of moly grease on spring and a couple of drops lube on inside of cylinder wall then lubed all the linkage/pivot points.Shoots quite well with virtually no spring twang though of course it's still settling down but seems a nice handling little gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post

What about the 99? Can you buy a Terrus for under £200, I can only find them for £240+ from uk shops 99's are a bit over £200 too but not as dear as a Terrus.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer