Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: one of sebs crazy ideas alert ....

one of sebs crazy ideas alert ....

ok, heres my crazy notion.....
    i have a fx 3 stage pump [250 bar capability] altho in truth ive never tried it beyond 200 bar as thats the fill pressure in my hw100 , and i now have a 7 litre 300 bar bottle....
    what i would like is a high pressure check-valve gizmo so that i could *attempt* to fill the bottle with the pump [i did warn you guys]
    ok, both my bottle and pump have an hw fill probe on the end, so what would be cool is a block of ally with fill probe sized holes [one each side] and a check valve somewhere in between [other wise the air i pumped in would simply hiss back out into the pump on the upstroke] now i realise how hilarious that might be, but i think me trying to fill a bottle with a pump will be hilarious enough
    now i know we have some fart-smellers on here (copyright family guy) who can [and quite often do] put me off my crazy ideas with reasoned explanation... but in this instance im hoping for some words/advice in the direction of "yes seb, it can be done" [despite you all no doubt thinking its a stupid thing to even want to do]

ok techies. on your marks, get set, and GO !
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

Ive seen vids on you tube of nutters like yourself who have made a machine that does the pumping for them... a pumping machine if you like...

or maybe something like the (neck) off a rapid bottle,That way you would already have thread to adapt (both ways) i.e. in and out.maybe,
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

audiguypaul is offline Has been known to sneeze at mice
    I may be wrong but im sure the compressors used to fill dive bottles cost several £1000's as they remove the moisture from the air, does the hand pump do this, if not then you may cause problems
    AA s510 .177 Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44. AA s510 .22 Mamba Lite 4-16x44 diy NV.
    AA TX200 177 WD Tune Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40. HW99s .22 WD Tune Meopta 6x42 4a

Quote Originally Posted by audiguypaul View Post
    I may be wrong but im sure the compressors used to fill dive bottles cost several £1000's as they remove the moisture from the air, does the hand pump do this, if not then you may cause problems
    Think the decent ones do have a trap, but i can see your point, one would have to keep stopping the (machine) to bleed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    Think the decent ones do have a trap, but i can see your point, one would have to keep stopping the (machine) to bleed it.
    Air dryers, Me thinks.

Hand pumps are not built to withstand anything even close to 300bar

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I'm heading to Wadebridge tomorrow, I'll drop my bottle off for a fill........
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by neil w View Post
    Air dryers, Me thinks.
    i can visualize the machine now,a couple of hair dryers directed toward the pump air intake,

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Hand pumps are not built to withstand anything even close to 300bar
    Think mine goes to 250 bar, i say think cus my lad has it ,an i have a 12lt 300bar bottle,i prefer the easy life,

prepare to call an ambulance nick
    seriously tho lads... 250 bar capability of the pump.. 250 bar would give me several fills , if this could be done/made it would save me a 2 hour round trip every time i want the bottle filled

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    prepare to call an ambulance nick
    seriously tho lads... 250 bar capability of the pump.. 250 bar would give me several fills , if this could be done/made it would save me a 2 hour round trip every time i want the bottle filled
    Think it can be done, An what do you think to the neck off a rapid bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    ok, heres my crazy notion.....
    i have a fx 3 stage pump [250 bar capability] altho in truth ive never tried it beyond 200 bar as thats the fill pressure in my hw100 , and i now have a 7 litre 300 bar bottle....
    what i would like is a high pressure check-valve gizmo so that i could *attempt* to fill the bottle with the pump [i did warn you guys]
    ok, both my bottle and pump have an hw fill probe on the end, so what would be cool is a block of ally with fill probe sized holes [one each side] and a check valve somewhere in between [other wise the air i pumped in would simply hiss back out into the pump on the upstroke] now i realise how hilarious that might be, but i think me trying to fill a bottle with a pump will be hilarious enough
    now i know we have some fart-smellers on here (copyright family guy) who can [and quite often do] put me off my crazy ideas with reasoned explanation... but in this instance im hoping for some words/advice in the direction of "yes seb, it can be done" [despite you all no doubt thinking its a stupid thing to even want to do]

ok techies. on your marks, get set, and GO !
    You dont' need a check valve - the pump should have one built in.
    I used to fill a Gunpower Stealth bottle with a pump and also a best fittings 500cc field bottle neither of which have their own check valve - it was physically hard work but it was possible.

A few observations - it is extremely hard work on the pump and it will generate a lot of heat and moisture. If you do manage to fill the cylinder I think the pump will probably be ruined by the end. You will need to take frequent breaks to let the pump cool down, in reality I think it would probably take a day to fill the cylinder, with rests for you and the pump.

Pumping over 200 bar is much harder than pumping up to 200 bar.

Without blowing my own trumpet I am extremely fit and quite large and strong and filling the 500cc cylinder to 250bar used to make me puff and sweat some and I had to take rest breaks to get the cylinder filled. I really think that you're on a hiding to nothing with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    Think it can be done, An what do you think to the neck off a rapid bottle?
    im unsure what you meant buddy, elaborate for me ?

Fully agree with Biker Bob, the pump would have to be in water to take some of the heat away,an pretty sure the idea is build a machine to do the pumping, i hope,