Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When is buying new better than second hand?

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I would always buy used quality rather than new economy, be that guns, tools, cars, bikes or anything else.
    ^^^^ This with spades on (I buy second hand gardening stuff as well!).

ATB,Ed

Best to buy new when you can't find a nice used one. I have 7 TX200's at present and only 1 was bought new. I've picked these up over the last 15 years and I always try them out first. I can tell if a TX is a shooter in a short range session. I did buy 1 that shot pretty awful, but I had seen it shoot very well in the past. The barrel nut had worked loose in the 15 years since it was new and it now shoots very well. My first TX was bought new and it was not up to par. I think it was a return that was sold again by the dealer.

Your always better off buying a quality rifle second hand over a new cheap rifle!

Of the two dozen or so guns that I've brought over the years, only two were s/h - and they were owned by friends, so I knew their history...

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Your always better off buying a quality rifle second hand over a new cheap rifle!
    Agreed.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

As far as I'm concerned buying new would always be preferable based on the fact that you know the rifle a; hasn't been tampered with and b; you can choose your preferences I.e calibre, stock type/grade and c; has a warranty etc !...

The only time I would buy second hand is if I was looking for a certain rifle as is the case with my "Venom Viper" which as of 2005 was no longer made (Webley went bust) or I really couldn't afford a new one or in such a case as my "Theoben Scirocco GP" which was an absolute steal at £50 and no longer in production !..

Just my opinion though !...

When buying a wife from a catalogue It's always better to buy new. You really don't want a second hand one

Quote Originally Posted by gimly View Post
    When buying a wife from a catalogue It's always better to buy new. You really don't want a second hand one
    Really? Surely you have more fun with one that knew what she was doing..?
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

Quote Originally Posted by boozybloke View Post
    Really? Surely you have more fun with one that knew what she was doing..?
    haha it's the wear and tear I'd be worried about especially if she came sold as seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    What exactly does a guarantee cover with a new gun? faulty parts and workmanship thats about all.

If you buy second hand any of those faults should already have been discovered, and if you know what you are looking for its pretty easy to spot a good gun from a bad one so why not save a load of cash and probably get a scope thrown in for free?
    Well what else would you want from a guarantee,replacement of faulty parts and/or workmanship just about covers everything I'd have thought.Buying secondhand it's purely 'Let buyer beware' okay if you're experienced and know what to look for.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by gimly View Post
    haha it's the wear and tear I'd be worried about especially if she came sold as seen.

There are companies on the Internet who can re tighten wind socks.....
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    This is fine Barry BUT how many 'lemons' are really out there being offered for sale? In the real world the savings buying used are generally so large that there is plenty in reserve to put things right in the unlikely event of something being needed. Whenever I have bought a second hand 'desirable' rifle such as a Lazaglided HW80 it has been perfect. Am I lucky?? I don't think so: anyone buying rifles like that tend to be enthusiasts buying from another enthusiast and if they have opened up the rifle to do something like change a spring then it was done properly. Also knowing the reason for sale helps in forming a judgment.
    Fair enough Nick buying guns like a Lazaglided HW80 I might take a risk S/H but I would myself go for new if I wanted a keeper as it is more satisfying knowing that you are the first and only owner of a gun that you are keeping for long term I have had experiences like PCPshooter describes in his post, OK its interesting putting them right or nearly right and then trade them in. ( I just dont do that anymore )

I always buy from new just because I like being the first owner.
    Owning a Daystate from new comes with a three year warranty, plus any problems they send the courier to your house to collect it from your house and give it back to the person at no cost to the owner of the gun. Only applies to the first owner.
    Who else offers that?
    My Regal has been back and has not cost me anything. And its the best pcp I have owned.
    So you get a lot more for your money when you buy a Daystate from new.