Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
Most people are rifle first, pistol second.
Some of us are the other way round but we're in the minority.
There are a few dedicated pistol clubs (Redhill Revolvers is one), but at a lot of clubs pistols can be seen as the poor relation.
If pushed many people will admit they find pistol shooting more fun, I certainly do.
In terms of disciplines the trick is to find the ones that float your boat.
I compete in pistol HFT (at Redhill) but I don't compete with rifles, even though I'm in an HFT club.
There's the paper punching side of the hobby, that's where pistols start to get serious (and costly), but the big advantage is it's indoors so it can keep you going over the winter. There are many bell target clubs popping up now up and down the country.
The other great thing about pistols is that they are better suited to practice at home, in the garden or garage. You need at least 30yds to make it worth picking a rifle up, but with a pistol you can paper punch at 6yds in the garage.
IPAS or action shooting is fun too, with a multishot CO2 revolver or semi auto it's all about speed rather than accuracy.
So it's not just the pistols you want to try out at the club, it's the shooting disciplines too.
And all this is without the collecting and vintage bugs...which is when it all becomes interesting and even more expensive