Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Vision: a good thing?

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by spike589715 View Post
    Using my spotter I spotted a rabbit the other side of a field just walked quietly across the field set up around 40 yards and bang job done
    The rabbit was sitting in a very dark corner in fact it was pitch black and clearly had no idea I was there
    Yes, it really can be as simple as that.

I haven't been out with my NV for a few years now, but I used a Yukon Ranger digital NV (5x mag) for spotting at long range and a small Bushnell £100 monocular (1.5x or 2x mag) for spotting at shooting ranges without having to keep lifting up the hefty gun/NV-scope combo. My guns have the ageing gen-1 NVRS-F scope with a doubler lens to make targeting easier.

Commonly, I'd set up with my shooting buddy, with two NV-equipped HW100's at right angles, fitted on bipods. One person would lay prone and 'man the guns' while the other would kneel and use a handheld NV monocular to scan for targets.

In all cases, I found it better to hunt on a dark, moonless night and use the infrared emitter on the NV equipment to 'light up' the area for the NV.
    Although NV works in moonlight without the need to use the IR emitter, rabbits eyes seem to work even better!

Good to hear from you FB we have not had the benefit of your wisdom on here
    recently. as regards NV its an obsssion with me, as bunnies are mostly nocturnal feeders
    it makes sense to hit them with the most furtive method of control,
    that being the case nv is also great fun.
    atb brian