Thread: Night Vision: a good thing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Night Vision: a good thing?

Well, the clocks fall backwards this coming weekend which takes my thoughts towards the oncoming winter season and of shorter days in the field. I have yet to succumb to the night vision thing - as tempting as I have found it to be in past years - and it certainly seems to have come of age since the early days of home brew rigs, many of which looked to be designed by Mr Heath Robinson.

Thing is, is it really worth the outlay for a decent set-up?
    Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little.

Don't really know if I'm prepared to commit to the kind of financial outlay required buddy but it's been playing on my mind of late, it's a decision I won't be taking lightly !...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Don't really know if I'm prepared to commit to the kind of financial outlay required buddy but it's been playing on my mind of late, it's a decision I won't be taking lightly !...
    Me neither.

Absolutely worth the outlay,with this proviso, get to look through whatever you are thinking of buying,if new shouldnt be a problem,they (shop) should have a dark room (celler ect) if buying second hand check what you can,lens especially gen 1,ect no spots..an before you buy ask (on here) what people know about the particular one you are interested in , in other words get as much info as possible.
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

n/v

hello, for many years i used a red torch 501B added a aspheric lens and blacked out reflector and a thumb switch, then i tried a yukon n/v scope of a friends to say it was a great bit of kit so i got the new PHOTON. best thing i did for night hunting, but can use in daylight which i dont. plastic front cap 25mm hole and much better clarity. this is on a FX T12 .177 permanant

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    hello, for many years i used a red torch 501B added a aspheric lens and blacked out reflector and a thumb switch, then i tried a yukon n/v scope of a friends to say it was a great bit of kit so i got the new PHOTON. best thing i did for night hunting, but can use in daylight which i dont. plastic front cap 25mm hole and much better clarity. this is on a FX T12 .177 permanant
    The photon 5x42 retails at just under £400. Is this the one you recommend?

NV

Im just looking to buy the new XT for close air rifle range stuff, I was either poor or unlucky at lamping so being a hands-on (tightwad) kind of guy I set about making a DIY add on, very easy to do and I ended up with a very nice bit of kit, image is great, all in with a IR torch it was approx. £140 Ive used it a lot and now see the benefit of a dedicated scope set up, for rabbits/field use anyway, the diy screen is cracking for rats/barns work though.

The stealth benefit of NV is a big plus to me as my fields are very open with little cover, Ive started to get paranoid about the small amount of screen glare on my diy rig, that's why Im looking at the XT as theres no visible light. And the other benefit is that other people cant see me wandering around with torch beams in the middle of the night either !!!

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars