Thread: Is It Worth restoring this L.J no. 1319 first batch BSA Air Rifle to working order?

Is It Worth restoring this L.J no. 1319 first batch BSA Air Rifle to working order?

I have a Lincoln Jeffries bayonet under lever air rifle serial number 1319.
    The trigger guard is a bent strip of iron which has been let into the stock (adjusting screw is missing) the butt plate is missing the piston seal requires replacement the spring will probably do another turn, the rear sight blade is the wrong one (a series 2 type) and the front sight blade is probably wrong.
    Strips of wood have been let into what was probably damaged areas of the stock.
    The piston rod was broken but I made a new one so that problem has been dealt with.
    Cost of parts from J.Knibbs about £100 to £125 to put it into working order.
    What will it be worth in working order with little or no cosmetic work done.
    A few photographs to help.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...7648506852168/

i think the question you need to ask yourself is "why do you want to restore it" A) to make a profit or B) to have a nice looking LJ in your collection

the answer to that question will answer your question on whether it's worth restoring.
    Cheers Lloyd

I don't think a collector would go near it.
    As a user you might get £100.
    Sounds a bit harsh sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbandit View Post
    i think the question you need to ask yourself is "why do you want to restore it" A) to make a profit or B) to have a nice looking LJ in your collection

the answer to that question will answer your question on whether it's worth restoring.
    I am not out to make a profit as I will break it for my own use if I don't bring it up to working order.
    But with some items it becomes a question, is it worth preserving it or not! This one is marginal, as I suspect it will require a lot of cosmetic work as well before it will look good enough to put into a reasonable quality collection, it then loses most if not all of its originality as it has so many replica parts in it and a total refinish to the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I don't think a collector would go near it.
    As a user you might get £100.
    Sounds a bit harsh sorry!
    Sums up my feelings about it being a collector myself.

That having been said I might still have it sorted.
    Because I enjoy seeing old guns being fixed and used.
    It won't be a minter so no worries using it and I would rather have a good shooter than a good looker.
    No women jokes please.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    My personal opinion is that it always worth putting these wonderful pieces of engineering back into some sort of working order unless they are utterly ruined.

I keep looking for BSA's and Lincoln's of that era in state that you think they are only good for donor parts,

But once you get them the sentimental side takes over and you think, well it only needs this or that to fix it up, if i can get another donor gun to find the bits off then i can bring this one back to life.

The sad thing in a way is the cost of a mint example is maybe only double or a bit more what you'd pay for some of these wrecks which then need a gazzillion parts.

Its never ending, Nearly each bell target evening Edbear2 just shakes his head at another boat anchor purchase.
    Or it was never ending until my wife found some of them stored under the spare bed. When she asks how many are under the bed? and you think 1. I don't know and 2. which bed is she talking about? You know you've a LJ / BSA addiction and need to stop.

regards,

Lee

l would just get it into working order and leave as it is, as that is it's history and just like me had a hard working life.

I would get it into working order. It is one of the first batch of BSA branded rifles made to the Lincoln Jeffries pattern and dates from 1905. I wouldn't restore to as new condition, would spoil it. Yes there would be problems getting the right parts, the correct trigger guard for example. It should have a cast long tang guard. They used to break fairly easily apparently which is why they are difficult to find. I would treat it as a long term project myself. I don't think there would be any financial rewards in the restoration, just pride in having saved another old BSA.
    atb
    dogsbody