Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the most you have paid?

i always pay £30 max
    thats what i tell the mrs

Quote Originally Posted by gordon View Post
    I had wanted a GC 2 for years, one came up for sale,paid over the odds for it, it turned out to have had very poor servicing ( outwardly looked mint ) . Found out about SCR and Dave totally fettled it. So with what i paid for the rifle and subsequent repair cost,it was expensive . But it`s now my best rifle and just picking it up makes me feel good and i would never sell it, it even has a mention in me will
    I would love to get my hands on a nice GC2, how much do I need to put aside in exchange for my name in your will

I don't mind overpaying for keepers, if I want something and it makes me happy, that's all that matters. We only live once, so once enjoy it.
    Say what is true, although it may be bitter and displeasing to people.

Quote Originally Posted by ratshot5 View Post
    i always pay £30 max
    thats what i tell the mrs
    Or, I came first in a competition and won this one.

She must think I'm unbeatable lately.
    Say what is true, although it may be bitter and displeasing to people.

I guess its a question of what one can afford to pay at the time, if you really want a particular rifle or pistol and have the funds then its a matter of personal preference over what one is willing to pay, I have to say that in the past I have thought right I want a particular pistol, couldn't find one for sale, but saw one that had sold a few weeks before, so maybe a bit cheeky but you don't ask you don't get, emailed the buyer and basically said how much to sell on and paid £100 over what he had paid, this is a one off when you really want something and have the means to get it then why not.

Whats the most I have paid, £ 400 foe an Evolution that never arrivded its still in the hands of the police, the person was subsequently banded from here and other places, no I still donrthave my £400 In all the deals I have done with the good people here its the only timeI have been scammeded. And yes if I was closer I would have paid a visit

The way I justify spending large sums of money on my hobby is this:

a couple of months down the line, the pain of spending the money has gone and I have a lovely specimen to handle.

AND, if I hadn't have bought the item, it is unlikely I'd have the cash still sitting in the bank. It would have filtered away on something less worthy.

Cool

Air guns have given me a lot of joy and I hardly regret buying a single one! Never spend more than you can afford and....in a week after purchase you will have forgotten the cost! Works for me.

Plus 1 on Trevor's comments, works for me to. Helps to have selective and short term memory though.

I usually spend a lot of time 'angsting' before a purchase, somehow this works to justify the deed to hand, but to date I've never regretted buying anything, only regretted those I passed up. I'm just too cautious sometimes. I expect others know what I mean......'I went back and it was gone!'

Top dollar to date? An excellent 1st pattern mk2 Webley Service from a known collection about 3 years ago. A lot less than advertised nowdays.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by le frelon View Post
    Plus 1 on Trevor's comments, works for me to. Helps to have selective and short term memory though.

I usually spend a lot of time 'angsting' before a purchase, somehow this works to justify the deed to hand, but to date I've never regretted buying anything, only regretted those I passed up. I'm just too cautious sometimes. I expect others know what I mean......'I went back and it was gone!'

Top dollar to date? An excellent 1st pattern mk2 Webley Service from a known collection about 3 years ago. A lot less than advertised nowdays.

Carl
    How very true Carl. Strange how you remember the ones that got away rather than the ones you overpaid on. As others have said, collecting is full of swings and roundabouts.

John

I paid a stupid amount for a Webley MK1 rifle No 1241

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I've overpaid before and probably will do again at some point.
    The way I look at it is theres been times when I've decided 'Nah, that's too much' and walked away...
    And there's been a few times when I'd pay a healthy premium on top of that original price for a second chance some time later

Yes l have paid over the odds for a few guns that l will never get my money back on them (brain storms) at the time, but that as been offset by some real bargains as well, but l still get the buzz from finding a gun that l have not already got to add to the collection even if l have to pay the going rate.

by comparison.....

Just been looking at the average prices of the likes of new Theoben,Daystate etc PCPs. Around three and a half thousand NZ dollars. I'm not into these guns but I know that sort of money can buy all sorts of lovely vintage airguns!

Great question. Quite a few I thought I had over paid for at the time but now with hindsight I realise I didn't. Its the ones I sold for too reasonable a price that wake me up in a cold sweat like the near mint 1st series Webley Mark 3 in .177 and the ultra rare BSF 80. Why did I do it?? Still we live and learn and like someone else said I enjoyed them all and have easily broken even.
    Happy collecting to all those who are still afflicted.
    Best regards,
    Craiga Boy

Hello, I don't mind confessing that the most I have paid is £750 for My Webley MkI rifle in .177, worth every penny in my opinion, it is a great addition to my collection, not many come up for sale so I was happy to pay up.

May I add another question to this thread, how far have you travelled to get the airgun you wanted, my furthest so far is 400 mile round trip to Swanage, not just to get the airgun as we were due to holiday at Longleat Center Parcs, I had a ride out from there to pick it up.