Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the most you have paid?

What's the most you have paid?

It occurs to me that we've all described (maybe bragged about?) bargains we've had. But what's the most you've paid?

No, I don't fancy admitting it either.

But I do know someone who has paid 'top dollar' for an air rifle, a model he's coveted for a while. He's not getting any younger, has the money, and presumably figured he didn't have the time to wait for a bargain one to appear.

This must explain how some dealers manage to sell vintage airguns at what to us seem exorbitant prices.

Some other thoughts about collecting:

Time is a big feature in collecting; when you build a collection, how many months or years you take to do it, how much time you devote to it etc.

Luck also plays a part, such as being in the right place at the right time in your life, when you have money in your pocket, no responsibilities for e.g. kids or paying mortgage.

Also, choice of what to collect and when makes a difference. Fifteen or 20 years ago, you could probably have built a collection of rare British air pistols fairly quickly and cheaply. Now it might take you twice as long and cost twice as much. In another 20 years it might be cheaper again - as the big collectors of today sell up, pass on etc.

Or maybe not!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Interesting question Danny,

I have knowingly paid top dollar for items and whilst sometimes I have regretted overpaying when a similar item comes up at a fraction of the cost, I am relieved to say in the majority of cases I am pleased to have taken the plunge. For instance I paid over £400 for a Webley valvespout oil tin earlier this year and some £500 for an original copy of the Book Of The BSA Air Rifle a couple of years ago. Neither have come up again and yes, I paid a fortune but both are very hard to come by items and I get a lot of enjoyment from them. I don't drink anymore so the way I look at it, they cost me a fraction of what I may have spent on entertainment before I gave up!

John

Some twenty odd years ago, I paid more than was sensible at the time for a particularly fine specimen of a rifle, but nobody twisted my arm and I made a conscious decision at the time to go ahead with the purchase.
    I did not buy it with the intention of making a quick profit, but as part of my collection which would eventually be sold, and hopefully make a profit then. The rifle is now worth considerably more than I paid, so it turned out not to be such a bad investment after all.
    It's swings and roundabouts really, as I have paid what at the time seemed quite a lot for several collections, but within those collections were items that I would probably not have acquired as single sales, and have since, more than justified their purchase in the first place.
    Some you win and some you loose, but so far, I think I've I've been on the winning side.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Interesting question Danny,

I have knowingly paid top dollar for items and whilst sometimes I have regretted overpaying when a similar item comes up at a fraction of the cost, I am relieved to say in the majority of cases I am pleased to have taken the plunge. For instance I paid over £400 for a Webley valvespout oil tin earlier this year and some £500 for an original copy of the Book Of The BSA Air Rifle a couple of years ago. Neither have come up again and yes, I paid a fortune but both are very hard to come by items and I get a lot of enjoyment from them. I don't drink anymore so the way I look at it, they cost me a fraction of what I may have spent on entertainment before I gave up!

John
    Quite right John.

Too often we confuse NEED and WANT and it always able to be justified by comparing the cost with some other currency! If you WANT it that's fine and all the justification you need!

Power to your elbow = or maybe not as you don't drink any more! Neither do I actually; well, no more than I ever did!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    Quite right John.

Too often we confuse NEED and WANT and it always able to be justified by comparing the cost with some other currency! If you WANT it that's fine and all the justification you need!

Power to your elbow = or maybe not as you don't drink any more! Neither do I actually; well, no more than I ever did!

atvb
    David
    Thanks David,
    Not my choice over abstention I'm afraid. Alcohol doesn't agree with the medication I'm on for migraines and while I do miss the odd beer, I have more money to spend on my hobby

John

i have paid too much on some items but that's what collecting is all about for me.we all like a bargain and thay do turn up,i have turned down items because of price then regretted it (a little).you have to weigh it up,ask yourself if such an item is likely to turn up at a better price or at all.i paid more than i would like for an anschutz because i'd been having a bad time,not seen one since and it shoots very nicely.i like to think that things even themselves out and something good is just round the corner. atb

I'm a lot happier since I saw the Socialite who has spent £100,000 on handbags.
    Also far more mugs on the classic car scene.
    £4000 for an Maxi!

Five dollar

Its all to do with disposable income.
    A pheasant shoot can easily be £500-£850 a day. A custom rifle with top end scope getting nearer £4000. Depreciation on a car £1000's a year. Ar rifle collecting remains pretty inexpensive; heck you might break even having enjoyed a rifle for a couple of years.

Over my air rifle journey I've almost broken even £ wise, but been in profit every time I pull the trigger. Collecting is a hobby and at minimum wage the time we spend just wouldn't add up.

When I win on Friday I'll buy back the ones I shouldn't have sold And the cost won't matter...

Collecting

Interesting question. I have a few rifles that undoubtedly I have paid over the odds on occasions. Most I have paid a fair price for. There are some I have had at a steal. Its all down to what you are prepared to pay and how badly you want the item. I have never bought for investment purposes. Never really thought that way really? That said I would certainly hope that my collection would appreciate and I could cash in if times were hard. Never really made an assumption that my collection may actually depreciate due to other collections being placed up for sale due to people passing on. But it may well happen I guess?
    Another question popped into my mind while reading this thread. How would you put a value on your collection for insurance purposes? Run of mill production guns are one thing but what about limited production marques or custom made guns.
    Interesting thread!

A thought provoking subject young Danny

Having only this year spent the cost of a good family holiday in Florida on a once in a lifetime collection of Hammerli rifles and pistols, which included items that I had never seen before and had they been sold separately would have attracted attention from around the globe, I didn't hesitate. I am fully aware that I will only be a custodian of these objects of my desire for a relatively short period of time before they will eventually be sold off, but we are only here the once.

20 years ago. I used to jump in the car at 5am to go to the fairs around the country and thought nothing of traveling hundreds of miles in a day,just to find that elusive rare piece was nothing but a rusty piece of junk.

Today we have the Interweb and literally dozens of forums to assist us in sharing this great hobby and finding that one piece that makes the collection - long may it continue

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    What's the most you have paid?

Not tellin!

Airsporterman
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Interesting question. The most I've paid is - I think - £160 for a nearly mint 1961 Webley Mk3 a couple of years back. It was a gun I'd always wanted, & I was quite happy to pay that. It gives me much more pleasure to use than a new Weihrauch I paid 2x that for!
    After the Mk3, last year I thought I'd look for an early AirSporter Mk1 or 2. Put some ads out, & was offered stuff Steptoe would have refused. To my mind, 95% blueing does not mean 95% is missing. Eventually, this year, settled on a very tidy Mk 4 A/Sporter, which the seller had honestly described & I had no problems with paying the asking price.
    Still after an early Sporter, but not in a hurry.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

gordon is offline it`s taken me 6 years to get so far...
    I had wanted a GC 2 for years, one came up for sale,paid over the odds for it, it turned out to have had very poor servicing ( outwardly looked mint ) . Found out about SCR and Dave totally fettled it. So with what i paid for the rifle and subsequent repair cost,it was expensive . But it`s now my best rifle and just picking it up makes me feel good and i would never sell it, it even has a mention in me will

I once paid £1,500 (with commission) for an extremely rare Westley Richards Highest Possible Concentric air pistol at auction, but was then lucky enough to discover an equally rare Anson Star amongst the stock at my local gun shop for less than a quarter of that price. So, swings and roundabouts in my case, but I reckon the items I pay top price for are often balanced by the odd bargain that seems to come my way every now and again.

Regards

Brian