It occurs to me that we've all described (maybe bragged about?) bargains we've had. But what's the most you've paid?

No, I don't fancy admitting it either.

But I do know someone who has paid 'top dollar' for an air rifle, a model he's coveted for a while. He's not getting any younger, has the money, and presumably figured he didn't have the time to wait for a bargain one to appear.

This must explain how some dealers manage to sell vintage airguns at what to us seem exorbitant prices.

Some other thoughts about collecting:

Time is a big feature in collecting; when you build a collection, how many months or years you take to do it, how much time you devote to it etc.

Luck also plays a part, such as being in the right place at the right time in your life, when you have money in your pocket, no responsibilities for e.g. kids or paying mortgage.

Also, choice of what to collect and when makes a difference. Fifteen or 20 years ago, you could probably have built a collection of rare British air pistols fairly quickly and cheaply. Now it might take you twice as long and cost twice as much. In another 20 years it might be cheaper again - as the big collectors of today sell up, pass on etc.

Or maybe not!