Thread: Sorting .38 spl by headstamp?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344

Sorting .38 spl by headstamp?

Being somewhat "Sheldon" by nature, it is my habit to reload .38spl in batches nearing the same headstamp, and in the case of Winchester .38spl +p nickel cases, I separate those with plain walls and those with the knurled ring in the wall.

Am I wasting my time on this? Does it make any difference at all?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Being somewhat "Sheldon" by nature, it is my habit to reload .38spl in batches nearing the same headstamp, and in the case of Winchester .38spl +p nickel cases, I separate those with plain walls and those with the knurled ring in the wall.

Am I wasting my time on this? Does it make any difference at all?
    Too much like hard work - I use a mixture of brass and am competitive in our postal leagues.

After shooting I've no idea how much 38 since the mid 80's in revolvers and later lever rifles, I've not noticed a single piece of evidence to show that batching brass by headstamp or finish makes a blind bit of notice. I agree with you though that seeing a box with a multitude of headstamps gets my OCD going and I can't help but start shuffling!

I agree with Scuba, I don't think it makes any difference, BUT I still try to reload and sort the loaded rounds by headstamp (and case date if I can). The load is the same whatever the case.

My wife has started calling me Sheldon as well, and what is worrying I am seeing more of the Sheldon-like tendencies in myself as I get older.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Rejecting

I remove certain brand of case as the primer pocket and flash hole vary slightly by manufacturer.
    S&B in particular have small flash holes. If you have a larger diameter decapping pin it can get stuck.

'Sheldon'?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    'Sheldon'?

tac
    Big Bang Theory character known for various OCD type behaviours

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    So it probably makes no difference, but, like Sarge4318, I think I would find it really hard to just jumble up cases into a batch. I inspect them before re-use anyway so it doesn't take much longer.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL