Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Stocks, Cars and Numpties.

Synthetic Stocks, Cars and Numpties.

Well, today SHOULD have been a near perfect day off.......

Last night the wife had said that if she had to go to Lincoln to collect the rear light unit for the Vito (a hole mysteriously appeared in it on Monday), did I want to go with her and nip to the gun shop in case I needed any pellets. The answer was, of course, yes, but could she help me by holding the 77 for a couple of minutes this morning whilst I drifted the foresight / under lever catch off and re-fitted with WonkyDonky Loctite..

So, this morning I did the school run for her, which I always do on my day off to give her a break from it. On the way back I thought I really ought to ring the Ford garage to see of they could look at my Fiesta, as there was a droning noise which I could do with a second opinion on and the fan belt was squealing....At least I hoped it was the belt and not a goosed bearing or pulley etc. rang them up and they said to drop it in.

Whilst walking home through the middle of town, nip into Smith's to see if the latest issue of my Jimbo Mag was in (my pet name for AGW).

It was, YAY !!!!!!

Get home, brekkie and quick flick through the mag (brilliant article, as usual, from Jim on spring quality testing) amongst loads more interesting stuff. Oh, and, the November issue of Airgunner was, yet again, bundled in as a freebie....nice one!

By later in the morning, I was ready to play with the 77. Got the wife to hold it as I drifted off the unit...easy peasy (as, like a muppet I hadn't loctited it on last time). Then, just as she was holding it whilst I put a little loctite on the barrel, the phone rings....She's not happy as her hands now have a little moly grease on them! As we couldn't answer the phone (landline), it stopped ringing, then her mobile rings. It's only the highly strung mental nutter of a stepdaughter who is parked outside and checking that we're in!!!!

Anyway, tantrums over.....

On goes the foresight, job done.

Now, let's fit my new Boinger Boys birthday present stock (Thank you again, chaps)

Okay, offer it up to the action. It's a little tight around the front fixings, but on it goes. And, wow, does it look handsome? You bet! The only thing is, with the rear screw holes lined up, the front screw holes of the stock are a little further forward than those on the action. Pull action forward so they marry up....should be okay.

Get them in and she looks utterly beautiful. As I raise it to cock it I can near something's a little loose. Mmm, what's that? The trigger is floppy on the first stage. Anyway, thought I'd just cock and de-cock it, as you do. I cock the gun. Luckily I WAS holding the under lever, but not ever so tightly as I certainly wasn't expecting what happened next to, er, happen....As I knocked the safety off, the bleeding thing went off. Under lever went shooting up, slowed a little by my hand, and cracks, slightly, the newly re-fitted foresight unit.

Damn, bugger and blast!!!!

I was in shock and was taken totally by surprise, I always hold the lever when loading, but I just wasn't expecting this. Then, about two minutes later, the Ford garage rings whilst I'm still cursing.....The drone is nothing to worry about, it's just your tyres roaring. By the way, they're down to 3mm, shall we replace them? Absolutely bleeding not, I can get another 2 or 3 months out of them. The squealing is the belt - in stock tomorrow. That's no good, as I need car for work. Do they have a courtesy car? No. He's going to see of they can get one in today from elsewhere.....

Anyway, back to the trigger. This has always performed flawlessly in the old stock, so I know it's down to that. Sent Mick a message. Mick's also having a bad day, as his Internet is down, and Gwyn's round there trying to assist. But although he's having a bad day himself, Mick takes the time and trouble to ring me. He says it sounds like some excess plastic getting in the way of the bottom arm of the trigger (where the creep adjustment screw lives). Sounds about right to me. The last time I had this was on my original 77 after I'd had a Vantage stock fitted, and that arm was being interrupted by some excess wood, which I filed away and fixed. So, I whipped the stock off, filed a little material away, re-fitted stock......the bloody same!

Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!

Then I thought I'd play with the stock fore and aft positioning. Secured the rear first. This means the front ones are slightly out of line, but I got them in and, hey presto, job done. Cocking and de-cocking lovely trigger feels fine. Sorted....

Set the target box up in the hallway (it's raining now). Approx 9 yards, so hardly a test, I know. Wow, the stock looks awesome on the gun and FEELS FANTASTIC. Just as I remember when I shot with Chris's at the June Bash.

First four or five shots straight down the same hole, trigger lovely.

THEN, maybe shots 6 onwards.....Oh no, the first stage is all floppy again and the second is creepy....Not nice.

So chaps, that's where we're at right now. I ran out of time then. The afternoon school run to do and the car to collect later, if fixed. Sarah, by the way, said not to bother going to Lincoln with her, as the mental stepdaughter was going instead, and would get my pellets. Sounded like a plan at the time, meaning I could have a nice, relaxing stock-fitting and plinking session......NOT!!!!!!

Will have to revisit as soon as I get the opportunity. See what material maybe needs removing. We'll see.

This simply HAS to work as (a) it's a prezzie from the Boinger Boys and (b) I absolutely LOVE the looks and feel of it with this stock on.

Will keep you updated, chaps.
    Last edited by TonyL; 22-10-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Oh dear Tony why is it always the same on those days off when all that is planned that should be nice and stress free goes out the window quite quickly

I've got Friday booked off and haven't planned a sodding thing

Think I'll just play it by ear and see how it pans out....

Hope you get the stock problem sorted out

Love the Title, and of-course the explanation ,, better leave it there,but i was thinking to whom the last ...
    1 Rapid+sentinal n/v, 1 HW100+ Mamba lite

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Oh dear Tony why is it always the same on those days off when all that is planned that should be nice and stress free goes out the window quite quickly

I've got Friday booked off and haven't planned a sodding thing

Think I'll just play it by ear and see how it pans out....

Hope you get the stock problem sorted out
    Yep,

Always better to play it by ear, methinks; that way you don't get disappointed!

The amount of times I've had a plinking session planned, or a strip / tune and then it goes out the window.....countless!

The stock we will sort, matey
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner too View Post
    ,but i was thinking to whom the last ...
    The manic step daughter.....apparently she didn't want to get out of her car as she had no shoes on!! .....When she could have just walked in; the wife had left the door unlocked ready for her arriving as we were downstairs.

The bloke from the garage for ringing at JUST the wrong time and trying to convince me that I should have new tyres, even though they have 3mm of tread remaining.

And ME! Yes, I was holding the lever, but obviously not firmly enough. I certainly wasn't expecting the piston to be released as soon as I clicked off the safety, but it just goes to show that you should have every base covered in every eventuality.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Will have to revisit as soon as I get the opportunity. See what material maybe needs removing. We'll see.

This simply HAS to work as (a) it's a prezzie from the Boinger Boys and (b) I absolutely LOVE the looks and feel of it with this stock on.

Will keep you updated, chaps.
    Sunday should provide the opportunity for a tinker and, hopefully, resolution. Must accrue a few brownie points so that 'er indoors doesn't find some other uses for my time.

My shooting is always subject to rain and family.
    There is no answer.
    Also some days are just no good for fixing things-which you don't find out till you start the job.
    Sure you will sort it.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    My shooting is always subject to rain and family.
    There is no answer.
    Also some days are just no good for fixing things-which you don't find out till you start the job.
    Sure you will sort it.
    Agree on all counts!

Sunday we will sort.

Cheers.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    The stock might be slightly twisting the trigger unit (fore and aft) maybe worth trying a bushing washer where the trigger guard screws into it, or the other rear screw (between action and stock), so ensure correct alignment ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    The stock might be slightly twisting the trigger unit (fore and aft) maybe worth trying a bushing washer where the trigger guard screws into it, or the other rear screw (between action and stock), so ensure correct alignment ?
    Hi Jon,

At work, so only quick log on!

Will investigate more tomorrow and cheers for your input.

I'm guessing that removing some stock material is going to be the key, like some of the material is interrupting the travel of the bottom arm. Will play with positioning etc. Just whipping the trigger guard off and seeing if anything's touching didn't really reveal anything the other day, but I filed a little away. I'd already thought of maybe a washer required under the trigger guard, where it bears against the stock insert that Mick kindly sent me.

When the rear holes are correctly lined up, when you look through the front holes on the stock, the holes in the action appear further back so, once these are tightened, they are pulling the action forwards slightly, causing clearance issues on the bottom arm??

Will update once we've had a play.

Smile

It's funny how those 5 minute jobs can take all day.

I had a similar experience with cutting a coil off a new V-Mach spring the other day.

I watched the video on YuoTube describing how to cut a coil and then heat it up to a cherry red and compress the end coil, quench in oil and then dress with a dremel and an angle grinder.

So, I was fully confident I could do the job and disassembled the rifle, got all the tools out, cut the coil with a dremel and lit the blowlamp, to find it immediately ran out of gas.

Drive to the local high street where the hardware shop is, (Only 10 mins up the road) to find it's the busiest day of the year and I can't get parked. Search for parking for 15 mins. Then walk back to the shop and buy the gas cylinder for £3.99 and have an argument as to why they won't dispose of the old one for me. Apparently it's regulations. So I put it in the bin outside the shop where the regulations weren't quite so well enforced.

Walk back to the car and drive back home heat up the spring coil. Compress & Quench. Now I get the angle grinder out and find the grinding disk is not present. Search the garage for 20 mins and find the things I was looking for last time I did a 5 minute job.

Give up and drive back into town for a 4inch angle grinder disk. Same problems with parking £5.99 and then back.

Assemble the angle grinder and use it for approx. 1.5 to 2 mins.

Dress the spring with the dremel & wet & dry. Lovely job!

Clean & re-Lube the spring and put the rifle back together, By now the wife is shouting about tools all over the place. So, I gather all the tools up and put them back in the garage before finding my chrono and testing the rifle and it's still running warm.

Now I'm getting a bit peeved. So I get the tools out again, disassemble the rifle and cut another coil off the spring. Result was, the rifle was now doing 11.99 Fpe and had to have another half a coil off.AAAARRRGGHH!

The 5 minute job took all bloomin' day.

Ouch!
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    It's funny how those 5 minute jobs can take all day.

I had a similar experience with cutting a coil off a new V-Mach spring the other day.

I watched the video on YuoTube describing how to cut a coil and then heat it up to a cherry red and compress the end coil, quench in oil and then dress with a dremel and an angle grinder.

So, I was fully confident I could do the job and disassembled the rifle, got all the tools out, cut the coil with a dremel and lit the blowlamp, to find it immediately ran out of gas.

Drive to the local high street where the hardware shop is, (Only 10 mins up the road) to find it's the busiest day of the year and I can't get parked. Search for parking for 15 mins. Then walk back to the shop and buy the gas cylinder for £3.99 and have an argument as to why they won't dispose of the old one for me. Apparently it's regulations. So I put it in the bin outside the shop where the regulations weren't quite so well enforced.

Walk back to the car and drive back home heat up the spring coil. Compress & Quench. Now I get the angle grinder out and find the grinding disk is not present. Search the garage for 20 mins and find the things I was looking for last time I did a 5 minute job.

Give up and drive back into town for a 4inch angle grinder disk. Same problems with parking £5.99 and then back.

Assemble the angle grinder and use it for approx. 1.5 to 2 mins.

Dress the spring with the dremel & wet & dry. Lovely job!

Clean & re-Lube the spring and put the rifle back together, By now the wife is shouting about tools all over the place. So, I gather all the tools up and put them back in the garage before finding my chrono and testing the rifle and it's still running warm.

Now I'm getting a bit peeved. So I get the tools out again, disassemble the rifle and cut another coil off the spring. Result was, the rifle was now doing 11.99 Fpe and had to have another half a coil off.AAAARRRGGHH!

The 5 minute job took all bloomin' day.

Ouch!
    It does make for an entertaining read though ouh
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    It does make for an entertaining read though ouh
    It most certainly did!!

Welcome to my world, Ouch!

Sorry it turned out to be such a protracted job, but at least you'll now be a dab hand at stripping and rebuilding your rifle if you weren't already!!

And it probably helped you evade lots of little treats that the wife had lined up for you....every cloud has a silver lining!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Had a play today....we're getting there....hopefully update later.

Mmmm....

As per the "Stock Fairies" thread, thought I had a solution today that made perfect sense....and, NO!

So, a little Dremel re-modelling (as first suspected) now looks to be the only solution.

And T20 intervention (Thank You, Mick ) if I don't get the chance / it doesn't work.

Must get this to work as I absolutely love the looks, feel and on-aim stability with this awesome stock...whilst the trigger behaved yesterday for about 20 shots, was printing some tidy little groups standing.

It will work...it will work!