Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 4x...

Question New 4x...

I've been thinking about a new scope for the XS78. I'd like a bit more magnification than my 1.5x Weaver, so it's got to be a 4x. I'm considering the N/S Mountmaster 4x32, probably the AO IR incarnation. Is there something better out there? My budget is £50 tops - and it must be new, not s/h - fixed 4x and able to survive on a springer if required. Any ideas people?

JS Ramsbottom scopes are very nice and at that price level. One of my fav scopes is the 2-7x32 mildot, its awesome! Built like a tank and super clear glass.

Thanks vobster, I wasn't after a zoom, but 2-7x is a useful range - certainly for my needs. I'll look into that one...

I was more pointing out that the JSR range is very good, and you can take your pick. I've had a 6x32 and 2-7x32 and have been very happy.

Which model Weaver do you have? I collect old steel El Paso scopes
    Careful with that axe Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by EGGY View Post
    Which model Weaver do you have? I collect old steel El Paso scopes
    Funny that - lovely aren't they? Between myself and a couple of pals we have...

K1.5-1 (a couple of those).
    K2.5-1 (a couple of those too).
    K4W-1.
    K8-1.
    V12-1.

(All El Paso's finest. Mine are at the low mag end. Also had a V4.5W-1, but my Theoben rammer killed it many years ago)...

Many of the Mountmasters that I've used have seemed excellent at the price.

I have one or two Hawke Sport HD 4 x 32 scopes, one with AO, which, personally I don't like as much as the Mountmasters.

Apparently, as our eyes are all different, different glass / makes of scope appear to suit different people, so I'm not intending the above as a criticism.

If you can find a good condition, older Nikko Gold Crown, they are superb, at very little money.

P.S. Some of the SMK scopes that I looked through at previous spring gun Bash events had very impressive optics for so little money.
    Last edited by TonyL; 31-10-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: SMK.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Must agree, the old N/S Gold were very good - owned several in the past. However, new is a must...

Something to watch on the N>S mountmaster scopes is that the front parallax adjustment can also change your poi by several inches. I only found this out by missing several bunnies when using a night site (parallax changed from 35 yards to 15 yards shifted the poi about 8 inches to the left). It got sent back and the replacement was the same only this time the poi only shifted about 4 inches! so that got sent back and I bought an MTC .

Despite this problem I still think they are great scopes for the money provided you set and forget the parallax. I recently bought a 4 x mag mountmaster for my Stutzen to replace a Hawke Sport, the mountmaster gives a great picture and crisp crosshairs with the parallax set to suit my chosen 25 yard range - just set it prior to zeroing and then never touch it again.

hope this is of some help,

Ed

I have two x4 scopes I've just fitted to old HW35's. Both made by Konus, the one is AO and the other isn't. Both very good scopes, with good optics. I've been doing some plinking today @ 15mtrs with them and find them very good. Have a look on the evil bay as they have some good deals on new Konus scopes occasionally.

The Leapers 2-7x32 milldot IR scope sold by JSRamsbottom @ £30 is a good scope for the money,it's designed for recoiling air rifles(springers) and is parallaxed to 35 yds for air gun use and comes with flip lens covers.I 've got one fitted to one of my air rifles and I don't think you'll get anything better for that sort of money I.E £30-40.They also stock AGS cobalt scopes which are springer rated and parallaxed to 35yds.I think Leapers Scopes are quite popular with airgunners in the USA

Like the look of the Leapers 2-7x32 - choice now between that and the Mountmaster 4x32 AO IR. (Could always save for a N/S Diamond 1-4x24 IR - now that I really like).....

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Like the look of the Leapers 2-7x32 - choice now between that and the Mountmaster 4x32 AO IR. (Could always save for a N/S Diamond 1-4x24 IR - now that I really like).....
    You could also look at the simmons 1.5-5x20 http://www.airriflereviews.co.uk/air...tetail-classic 1.5-5x20.

Excellent quality, hunt about and get one secondhand for a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by vobster View Post
    You could also look at the simmons 1.5-5x20 http://www.airriflereviews.co.uk/air...tetail-classic 1.5-5x20.

Excellent quality, hunt about and get one secondhand for a bargain
    As previously stated, new is a must. (Never been overly keen on Simmons anyway, encountered a couple of duff ones in the past)...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    As previously stated, new is a must. (Never been overly keen on Simmons anyway, encountered a couple of duff ones in the past)...
    ooops, sorry.