Thread: Synthetic Stocks, Cars and Numpties.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Synthetic Stocks, Cars and Numpties.

Well, today SHOULD have been a near perfect day off.......

Last night the wife had said that if she had to go to Lincoln to collect the rear light unit for the Vito (a hole mysteriously appeared in it on Monday), did I want to go with her and nip to the gun shop in case I needed any pellets. The answer was, of course, yes, but could she help me by holding the 77 for a couple of minutes this morning whilst I drifted the foresight / under lever catch off and re-fitted with WonkyDonky Loctite..

So, this morning I did the school run for her, which I always do on my day off to give her a break from it. On the way back I thought I really ought to ring the Ford garage to see of they could look at my Fiesta, as there was a droning noise which I could do with a second opinion on and the fan belt was squealing....At least I hoped it was the belt and not a goosed bearing or pulley etc. rang them up and they said to drop it in.

Whilst walking home through the middle of town, nip into Smith's to see if the latest issue of my Jimbo Mag was in (my pet name for AGW).

It was, YAY !!!!!!

Get home, brekkie and quick flick through the mag (brilliant article, as usual, from Jim on spring quality testing) amongst loads more interesting stuff. Oh, and, the November issue of Airgunner was, yet again, bundled in as a freebie....nice one!

By later in the morning, I was ready to play with the 77. Got the wife to hold it as I drifted off the unit...easy peasy (as, like a muppet I hadn't loctited it on last time). Then, just as she was holding it whilst I put a little loctite on the barrel, the phone rings....She's not happy as her hands now have a little moly grease on them! As we couldn't answer the phone (landline), it stopped ringing, then her mobile rings. It's only the highly strung mental nutter of a stepdaughter who is parked outside and checking that we're in!!!!

Anyway, tantrums over.....

On goes the foresight, job done.

Now, let's fit my new Boinger Boys birthday present stock (Thank you again, chaps)

Okay, offer it up to the action. It's a little tight around the front fixings, but on it goes. And, wow, does it look handsome? You bet! The only thing is, with the rear screw holes lined up, the front screw holes of the stock are a little further forward than those on the action. Pull action forward so they marry up....should be okay.

Get them in and she looks utterly beautiful. As I raise it to cock it I can near something's a little loose. Mmm, what's that? The trigger is floppy on the first stage. Anyway, thought I'd just cock and de-cock it, as you do. I cock the gun. Luckily I WAS holding the under lever, but not ever so tightly as I certainly wasn't expecting what happened next to, er, happen....As I knocked the safety off, the bleeding thing went off. Under lever went shooting up, slowed a little by my hand, and cracks, slightly, the newly re-fitted foresight unit.

Damn, bugger and blast!!!!

I was in shock and was taken totally by surprise, I always hold the lever when loading, but I just wasn't expecting this. Then, about two minutes later, the Ford garage rings whilst I'm still cursing.....The drone is nothing to worry about, it's just your tyres roaring. By the way, they're down to 3mm, shall we replace them? Absolutely bleeding not, I can get another 2 or 3 months out of them. The squealing is the belt - in stock tomorrow. That's no good, as I need car for work. Do they have a courtesy car? No. He's going to see of they can get one in today from elsewhere.....

Anyway, back to the trigger. This has always performed flawlessly in the old stock, so I know it's down to that. Sent Mick a message. Mick's also having a bad day, as his Internet is down, and Gwyn's round there trying to assist. But although he's having a bad day himself, Mick takes the time and trouble to ring me. He says it sounds like some excess plastic getting in the way of the bottom arm of the trigger (where the creep adjustment screw lives). Sounds about right to me. The last time I had this was on my original 77 after I'd had a Vantage stock fitted, and that arm was being interrupted by some excess wood, which I filed away and fixed. So, I whipped the stock off, filed a little material away, re-fitted stock......the bloody same!

Aaaarrrrggghhhhh!!!

Then I thought I'd play with the stock fore and aft positioning. Secured the rear first. This means the front ones are slightly out of line, but I got them in and, hey presto, job done. Cocking and de-cocking lovely trigger feels fine. Sorted....

Set the target box up in the hallway (it's raining now). Approx 9 yards, so hardly a test, I know. Wow, the stock looks awesome on the gun and FEELS FANTASTIC. Just as I remember when I shot with Chris's at the June Bash.

First four or five shots straight down the same hole, trigger lovely.

THEN, maybe shots 6 onwards.....Oh no, the first stage is all floppy again and the second is creepy....Not nice.

So chaps, that's where we're at right now. I ran out of time then. The afternoon school run to do and the car to collect later, if fixed. Sarah, by the way, said not to bother going to Lincoln with her, as the mental stepdaughter was going instead, and would get my pellets. Sounded like a plan at the time, meaning I could have a nice, relaxing stock-fitting and plinking session......NOT!!!!!!

Will have to revisit as soon as I get the opportunity. See what material maybe needs removing. We'll see.

This simply HAS to work as (a) it's a prezzie from the Boinger Boys and (b) I absolutely LOVE the looks and feel of it with this stock on.

Will keep you updated, chaps.
    Last edited by TonyL; 22-10-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!