Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: armex backdraft silencer

armex backdraft silencer

Does anyone know if this will fit the weihrauch hw80k without any extra adaptor?

Quote Originally Posted by M4tth3w View Post
    Does anyone know if this will fit the weihrauch hw80k without any extra adaptor?
    big can for a hw80 is the barrel on yer gun threaded?

if yes, a parker hale in blued steel, add some curlers and felt retaining a few of the baffles as spacers etc works pretty well and is much smaller and makes the rifle look a little prettier imo

This silencer has a 1/2" UNF female screw thread, but will not fit barrels larger than 16mm in diameter.

Measurements:

Weight: 300g
    Length: 247mm
    Length covering the barrel: 170mm
    Silencer extension length: 77mm
    Barrel diameter requirement:16mm

Hrm... I could quite fancy one for the 95K

No it's not threaded barrell. My barrell is approx 16mm so it might fit but some reviews say it will others say it needs an adaptor.

Mate, It's a reflex mod'. Your barrel diam' is right (16mm), but I can't see how any kind of adapter could work with the reflex design.

IMHO You'd need a 1/2" UNF thread cut on your barrel. Or a newer type screwcut K barrel.

I fit the Backdraft to HW80s no problem at all, you will have to drill the silencer rear threaded cap out to 16mm, slide it down the barrel. fit a 16mm 1/2 inch UNF adapter
    on the muzzle ( you will have to file off the front sight dovetails) grub screw into place, slide the Backdraft down over the barrel, screw it onto the adapter & screw the threaded cap back into place, job done.

Add some curlers & wadding if you wish and you will have a very quiet gun.

ATB
    Will.

Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    I fit the Backdraft to HW80s no problem at all, you will have to drill the silencer rear threaded cap out to 16mm, slide it down the barrel. fit a 16mm 1/2 inch UNF adapter
    on the muzzle ( you will have to file off the front sight dovetails) grub screw into place, slide the Backdraft down over the barrel, screw it onto the adapter & screw the threaded cap back into place, job done.

Add some curlers & wadding if you wish and you will have a very quiet gun.

ATB
    Will.
    Not being cheeky (I assume you're the Will from Welsh Wales?), but isn't it easier to just screwcut the barrel?

Saves drilling out part of the moderator, fitting a slip-on adaptor, makes the overall length shorter, and the mod' is quicker to remove / refit / fit a different one... and personally, I'd prefer a mod' screwed on to the barrel rather than slipped-on with a grub screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Not being cheeky (I assume you're the Will from Welsh Wales?), but isn't it easier to just screwcut the barrel?

Saves drilling out part of the moderator, fitting a slip-on adaptor, makes the overall length shorter, and the mod' is quicker to remove / refit / fit a different one... and personally, I'd prefer a mod' screwed on to the barrel rather than slipped-on with a grub screw.

If you can find someone to cut, re-crown & screw cut a short barrel then yes, an adapter is ideal for this situation, a double grub-screw adapter is rock solid, you would only have
    to undo the 2 screws on the adapter and that will come off easily as well. the adapter only adds 15mm on the length of the barrel.

If he does go for a backdraft silencer he will still have to have the back end cap enlarged to 16mm as they all have a 15mm hole,( HW80 barrel 16mm) if the barrel is screw-cut or adapter fitted
    enlarging still needs doing.

ATB
    Will.

If you can find someone to cut, re-crown & screw cut a short barrel then yes, an adapter is ideal for this situation, a double grub-screw adapter is rock solid, you would only have
    to undo the 2 screws on the adapter and that will come off easily as well. the adapter only adds 15mm on the length of the barrel.

If he does go for a backdraft silencer he will still have to have the back end cap enlarged to 16mm as they all have a 15mm hole,( HW80 barrel 16mm) if the barrel is screw-cut or adapter fitted

ATB
    Will.
    Ah, thanks Will

ATB
    Will.
    Thanks for the replies. My gun has been away for 're blue and stock 're doing and I'm getting it back tomorrow.

I don't want to modify the barrell so a grub screw adapter on the end of the barrel is what I think I want.

Can you post a link to the adaptor I need please?

Thanks.

Those adaptors that go on 16mm barrels look very clumpy, add to that an 8" mod, and you'll have a musket on your hands.

There will be lots of guides on the net regarding re-crowning & general barrel chopping advice, If you have basic skills you'll manage a slight chop with ease. The hardest part is cutting the barrel square, which usually always needs to be rectified by using a small file & some kind of set square.

The BD silencer hides the adapter so that's not showing, the BD silencer is also reversable meaning it can be fitted on either way round, either with 8 inch covering the barrel
    giving only an extra 3 inch to the overall barrel length, or on a carbine barrel the full length can be used.

Will.

Thanks for replies.

Is it definite that I will need to file my foresight grooves off to fit the 16mm unf thread adaptor?

This will look terrible and I want to keep it standard.

The fore end looks perfectly round even with the grooves?

Cheers

Picked a backdraft silencer up finally and have fitted it to my hw99s.

This involved filing down the fore sight grooves so the half inch unf adaptor will fit on the end of the barrel plus the bottom end cap for the silencer goes over the barrel.

1st impressions:

I think it looks very good, but it's not particularly quiet.

As standard it hardly made any difference to the gun, i wasn't expecting it to reduce the mechanical sound of the Springer but I did expect it to reduce the muzzle crack considerably which it doesn't ��

I have the silencer on so that the barrel goes inside 2/3 and end of silencer protrudes 1/3

The silencer is essentially a hollow tube with a so called baffle 2/3 the way up inside it with a unf screw to attach onto the barrel..

I've played about with different materials in the front and rear of the silencer tube including hair curler, cotton wool, scourer pad material etc.

The best way I've found is leaving the front compartment empty and stuffing scourer material in the rear.

It now sounds like a hollow thud rather than a snap when it's fired so it's definitely improved it but it's nowhere near as good as a weihrauch silencer, but I went for this silencer as it doesn't make the rifle much longer unlike conventional silencers..

Has anyone else had experience of the backdraft and could suggest ways to make it quieter?

You could ask u.k.neil to make you some baffles for the front section, he did some for mine and also hollowed out the chunky front cap ( acting as a final expansion chamber and reducing weight at the same time).

HTH,

Tony.