Thread: Bonehill Brittania

Bonehill Brittania

Always with an eye for the desirable and collectable, gingernut picked up this Bonehill at Bisley Trafalgar on Saturday. We had heard they can put pellets out at 600 fps so we were a bit disappointed at the range when it was doing 333.We had tried a new spring with no improvement so I decided to make a new polyurethane piston washer. It is hard to measure the required diameter as the cylinder is a smaller bore deep down in the compression chamber. I turned up some hard Shore A (about 95 deg) rod and put a thin lip parachute design on the end to compensate for the fact it may be a tight fit. At 28mm it turned out to be perfect fit and now putting a 7 grn Air Arms out at 656 fps. As the hard polyurethane wears in I think it could reach 700 fps. Love the simple design of this rifle, they should make a modern one. When I feel like it will make a spring type tang sight as per original. In the mean time will weld a big block on it and fit this Elcan Spectre sight on from my M6 (he, he!)

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Wouldn't put it past you!
    Might increase value.
    Thanks for your efforts,as ever.

Nice job Baz, I wonder how an old beezer would perform with one of those Just knock one up for Sunday, when you come to Bisley

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Nice job Baz, I wonder how an old beezer would perform with one of those Just knock one up for Sunday, when you come to Bisley
    Don't you dare !!!!!

Joking aside, I have a Cox Britannia similar to this one, which is fitted with a BSA No 8 sight. The sight is screw mounted into the top of the air cylinder just behind the breech and contrary to what you may think, there is no air loss. The set up works a treat. I have also seen BSA turret type sights dovetail mounted into the breech block and although I have not shot a rifle thus fitted, the turret sight does seem more sturdy than the original Bonehill units.

Come to think of it, I have Mr B to thank for putting me onto that Britannia with the No 8 at a Birmingham arms fair.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Don't you dare !!!!!

Joking aside, I have a Cox Britannia similar to this one, which is fitted with a BSA No 8 sight. The sight is screw mounted into the top of the air cylinder just behind the breech and contrary to what you may think, there is no air loss. The set up works a treat. I have also seen BSA turret type sights dovetail mounted into the breech block and although I have not shot a rifle thus fitted, the turret sight does seem more sturdy than the original Bonehill units.

Come to think of it, I have Mr B to thank for putting me onto that Britannia with the No 8 at a Birmingham arms fair.

John

Ah yes the long barrel target model, I remember it well

I have just shot my Boner and am very pleased.
    Cocking effort and power both good and punching holes through bean tins.
    According to the original adverts I can now dispatch wabbits at 40 yards!

But luckily for them I don't hunt.