Thread: which gun stock oil for gloss finish :)

which gun stock oil for gloss finish :)

Just wonderd what some of you guys use for a nice gloss finish
    dont like true oil
    Is there anything else ???
    Atb paul

I have used Danish Oil but you will need to apply maybe 8 coats; leaving maybe 12 -24 hours between coats. I assume that the Danish oil can be applied over a previously oiled finish but I have only used it on refinished bare timber stocks.
    Cheers, Phil

Tried danish oil on my last stock and it didnt seem to dry properly ,
    even though i used a new tin of it and left for more than 24 hours
    wasnt to impresed
    atb p

Parker Hale walnut oil leaves a semi matt finish. looks great though.

true oil

True oil works for me but use the spray can version if the action is out of the stock for a more even coat, Looks like glass when finished.

Tru oil for me too.. layer after layer after layer.. valboskie recommended to me yesterday that he layered up with danish oil and the t-cut for a glass finish.

If your oil isn't drying you are putting it on too thick.. divide your stock up into areas and apply a SPOT... im talking a droplet... and rub it in with your palm.. make sure and spread it out thin and rub until your palm is hot! Spread it out and rub some more until 'dry'.. then leave for 24 hrs.. if its still tacky, try hanging it in another room.
    I think the recommendation for oiled finish is something like once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year then once a year for life!

Danish oil

With Danish I rub it in real sloppy all over, Leave it for just a few minutes. THEN WIPE IT ALL OFF Lots and lots of coats but at least 24hrs between coats.
    I still find Tru-oil a better more durable finish. This I put on in VERY thin coats. One wet finger end to a whole stock and around 6 coats. Again 24 hrs between.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked...

You won't get a high gloss finish with a proper oil, although you can shine them once they are fully dry if you use a oil that will air dry. I personally think TUNG oil is best for this as once dry (after about 8 weeks) and buffed it is 100% waterproof. It will shine the more you buff it but you will never get a high gloss.

If you want a high gloss you need something like Danish oil which is not a true oil, its really a mixture of oil and varnish which is why its a bit treacly. Tru oil is exactly the same thing a blend of oil and varnish, its not special its just packaged and overpriced to sell to shooters. You can easily blend your own with Tung or Linseed mixed with Polyurethane varnish, 70% oil and 30% varnish is a good place to start.
    Last edited by Voodoo; 23-10-2014 at 08:05 PM.

true oil for me to ,about 6 coats left for 24hr between coats and wet sanded ever coat except the last one .I found it went on best with a lint free cloth, some say put it on with one finger but I found it just layed on top of the stock and never worked into the wood. my fwb came up real shinny not to everbodys tast but if it to shinny just wet sand again and you have a matte finish .check out some vids on youtube about wet sanding not used much over hear but in the USA thay use it all the time on everthing and it seems to work .iv got a hw100 stock to do shortly,but I will have to get there std coating of first [nothing will soak in on there coating]
    ATB JOHN
    hw 100, hw80 mk1, smk xs20, bsa scorpion pistol, feinwerkbau 127, hw99s

True

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
    You won't get a high gloss finish with a proper oil, although you can shine them once they are fully dry if you use a oil that will air dry. I personally think TUNG oil is best for this as once dry (after about 8 weeks) and buffed it is 100% waterproof. It will shine the more you buff it but you will never get a high gloss.

If you want a high gloss you need something like Danish oil which is not a true oil, its really a mixture of oil and varnish which is why its a bit treacly. Tru oil is exactly the same thing a blend of oil and varnish, its not special its just packaged and overpriced to sell to shooters. You can easily blend your own with Tung or Linseed mixed with Polyurethane varnish, 70% oil and 30% varnish is a good place to start.
    Very true I think.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Birchwood Casey True-Oil has served me well over the years.
    Someone said house work wont kill you, but I say 'why take that chance'
    www.airgunshooter.co.uk

TRU oil used sparingly and rubbed down the grain leave over night rub down with 0000 wire wool wipe clean with meths and repeat again and again till the required finish is found, then let anyone touch it finger marks ,I hate them
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

I normally use Danish oil for any I do but ordered a Welsh Willy kit on Friday just to try something different I'll see how that works out.