Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a reliable method of sending buddy bottles through the post gents?.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Is there a reliable method of sending buddy bottles through the post gents?.

Seem to have heard a few stories of various carriers confiscating these in transit so was wondering how can you send them with confidence ?. Many thanks for your input guys.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Seem to have heard a few stories of various carriers confiscating these in transit so was wondering how can you send them with confidence ?. Many thanks for your input guys.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    DHL will carry buddy bottles, but (rather obviously) the bottle has to be completely empty and you have to remove the valve if you want to be strictly above board! (or tape the valve pin down so it is held open)

I emailed DHL's "special support group" and have had confirmation from them that they do carry air bottles. PM me if you would like me to forward the email to you.
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    DHL will carry buddy bottles, but (rather obviously) the bottle has to be completely empty and you have to remove the valve if you want to be strictly above board! (or tape the valve pin down so it is held open)

I emailed DHL's "special support group" and have had confirmation from them that they do carry air bottles. PM me if you would like me to forward the email to you.
    Any chance you can post that on the "posting airguns" sticky with a scan of the e-mail ?

Could be a very useful item in the future.

Definitely don't use RM or Parcelforce!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Definitely don't use RM or Parcelforce!!!!!
    Quite right, it is in their list of 'we don't'.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Parcel Force 48 don't fly and as a result these don't get x-rayed

If the parcel doesnt look bottle shaped and is well wrapped in a box it's unlikely to raise any suspicion and consequent inspection.

I would like to think it would be empty with no valve fitted if someone did read between the lines.

Thinking of what to put as the description? Sex toy should work!

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    Parcel Force 48 don't fly and as a result these don't get x-rayed

If the parcel doesnt look bottle shaped and is well wrapped in a box it's unlikely to raise any suspicion and consequent inspection.

I would like to think it would be empty with no valve fitted if someone did read between the lines.

Thinking of what to put as the description? Sex toy should work!

Cheers

John
    You can take the risk, it worked for me several times but then one time it didn't and I lost £100.
    They seized by bottle, which was empty with no valve and they still wouldn't budge - the wording runs something like "pressure vessels new or used", they don't care if there's no air/gas in it, they just don't take pressure vessels at all.

TNT will carry them empty, you need to show they are empty.

I've been sent 4 in the last 2 years all by either RM or Parcelforce 48.

3 were empty with the valve in and one was sent filled to 190 bar.

Perhaps I was lucky that none of them failed to land...

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I've been sent 4 in the last 2 years all by either RM or Parcelforce 48.

3 were empty with the valve in and one was sent filled to 190 bar.

Perhaps I was lucky that none of them failed to land...

Matty
    No Matty, the rules have recently changed and RM etc are now sticking firmly to them

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Any chance you can post that on the "posting airguns" sticky with a scan of the e-mail ?

Could be a very useful item in the future.

I have forwarded the email to Garvin so that he can update the thread as need be.
    blah blah

I received a 280cc mfr bottle last week via RMSD. it was filled to 230BAR too
    so they don't check them all. I use inter parcel myself cheap and no probs. they told me themselves to mark it as 'sporting goods'

PF 48hr, well packaged in a box.

PM me.

Another one of these 'is it alright' threads. Common sense should prevail. Remember firstly that we are not required to give a description of the goods being sent. This is important because I believe that an empty buddy bottle is NOT a dangerous item and therefore doesn't fall foul of the carrier terms and conditions. Secondly whatever the rules say the safety of the carrier network is VERY important. None of us has any wish to endanger anyone along the way such as a postie or sorter. Over the years I have sent a considerable number of buddy bottles through the post (please note NOT by special courier) either as part of a rifle or on their own and I have never had a problem of any kind with any of the shipments.
    Personally I live my life applying principles of common sense and trying not to break the LAWS of the land. Petty regulations imposed by businesses are a different matter-I make a judgement call on them and take my chance. Provided I void the bottle first I believe that all I am sending is an empty aluminium container which poses no risk to anyone. Sending a full one is a different matter entirely and although I have sent partially full ones in the past I wouldn't do so today.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 25-10-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    No Matty, the rules have recently changed and RM etc are now sticking firmly to them
    Interesting Tony-how many packages containing buddy bottles are you aware of that have been inspected let alone intercepted let alone stopped? I only ask because I am unaware of any even recently. The most annoying rule change from RM is their apparent unwillingness to send long packages RMSD unless they are packed in TUBES?! Really annoying. I recently sent a rifle to a friend on here intending to use RMSD which is an excellent service. My friend paid the £25 odd for the service. When I took the parcel-carefully split stock from action to pack at under 900mm I was told I could only send it via Parcelforce as it wasn't in a tube but a rectangular box. End result was that I paid £17 and offered to refund the balance of the carriage charge to my friend. RM thus received £8 less for effectively performing the same service. How does that work?? Absolutely crazy.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 25-10-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.