Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Royal Mail examining my pistol

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    What is be useful, would be for all those that had a gun seized or even taken to Belfast for examination to just detail where the gun was going from and to plus what postal service was being used...

All the issues I've heard of so far relate to guns going between England and Scotland via RMSD.
    The answer is in your post....

RM send letters, packets and parcels by Air Freight from Southern England to Scotland. Therefore they have to be x-rayed under the current regulations set by the relevant authority ( not Royal Mail ). Parcelforce do not Air Freight within the mainland...

Now if an individual posts prohibited items then what do you expect them to do?

If the x-ray operator is an air gun enthusiast then maybe they would recognise a CP88 from say Beretta 92FS, but maybe they are more into knitting and won't.

This has been discussed so many times that I find it incredible people still make the mistake.

This time it was sent SD within England.
    Modded Ratty. 22

Quote Originally Posted by Logunner View Post

RM send letters, packets and parcels by Air Freight from Southern England to Scotland. Therefore they have to be x-rayed under the current regulations set by the relevant authority ( not Royal Mail ). Parcelforce do not Air Freight within the mainland...

Now if an individual posts prohibited items then what do you expect them to do?

If the x-ray operator is an air gun enthusiast then maybe they would recognise a CP88 from say Beretta 92FS, but maybe they are more into knitting and won't.

This has been discussed so many times that I find it incredible people still make the mistake.
    I believe that the vast majority of RMSD now travels by air, I know my parcel to Skegness did, perhaps that's one of the reasons the size & weight limits changed a couple of years back.

I was just wondering would it not be worth trying to hide airguns in future with say a load of tin foil packaging? Would it even work? Dare someone to try.
    hoplophobe

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Obviously not...

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    I was just wondering would it not be worth trying to hide airguns in future with say a load of tin foil packaging? Would it even work? Dare someone to try.
    I'd lay off those little woodland mushrooms for a while You can probably use up your excess of tin foil by making a wide brimmed hat?

Remarks less provocative than this have roused Angrybear from his den to call the perpetrator an idiot. Honest

Someone call ??

It's cold & I'm thinking of hibernation otherwise I'd give the idiot idea the response it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    All the issues I've heard of so far relate to guns going between England and Scotland via RMSD.
    Ok, here is your answer from your original post above.

Many people on many occassions have posted that this traffic is Air Freighted, yet people still use the service. Beggars believe.

It's also true that some mail within english borders is Air Freighted by Royal Mail, but to a lesser extent.

You're right I don't know what I was thinking. Stupid idea. You should tape them into the inside of a frying pan instead.
    hoplophobe

Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    Remarks less provocative than this have roused Angrybear from his den to call the perpetrator an idiot. Honest
    Bears perhaps should recognise where they are on thin ice with regards advice for people posting airguns...

Ok, here is your answer from your original post above.

Many people on many occassions have posted that this traffic is Air Freighted, yet people still use the service. Beggars believe.

It's also true that some mail within english borders is Air Freighted by Royal Mail, but to a lesser extent.
    There is nothing unusual with the posting of airguns.

They are everyday run of the mill items.

There are millions of them in the UK.

They are in the vast majority legally held and transported.

This was recognised by the two reviews into the attempts by the Royal Mail not to carry these items previously.

Both times the regulator told the Royal Mail that it must continue in offering the service to the public, in the interests of the public.

If people are not prohibited by law, or the terms and conditions of the carrier, from sending items via the carrier, whether those services utilise air freight is of no concern to the sender.

The abilities of the X-Ray operator to identify a prohibited item is of no concern to the sender.

Whether they jump up and piss themselves because there is an unaccompanied firearm in transit, be it at the machine or at any level of management, is of no concern of the sender.

None. Zilch. Zero.

They should not be excused one iota for being unable to transport perfectly every day legal items, without the fuss and palaver we see on this board week in and week out.

People dreaming up excuses for these anti carriers, or any erroneous conditions for the senders, are anti's without disguise.

If this lad has sent a prohibited item in error common sense should be used.

If the only reason it is prohibited is that it cannot be flown then send it by land.

If it cannot be sent by land and is only component within a larger package, then remove the offending article send on the rest with a charge commensurate with the trouble and retain the prohibited component.

If the item is untransportable and not divisible, then hold it at the sorting office where it has been stopped for collection or destruction within an appropriate time frame.

This is not rocket science.

This is not any more costly than the current debacle.

This is not unreasonable.

Anything else is a disgrace organised by antis and perpetuated by them. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    You're right I don't know what I was thinking. Stupid idea. You should tape them into the inside of a frying pan instead.
    If I were an positive action kind of person I'd say what's needed is not to subvert their attention, but a completely legal attention grabbing protest.

Perhaps something like pound shop water pistols (5 for a quid) - or even a cardboard cut out, a tub of metal glitter and some thin PVA glue - dunked and rolled, all sent large letter size to the Royal Mail HQ offices addressed to the CEO, from all over the country, every day, with an accompanying letter of derision over their ridiculous policies, until the entire network grinds to a halt, or they relent in the face of common bloody sense.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Its this bit I'd be interested to hear peoples personal experiences of...

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post
    Bears perhaps should recognise where they are on thin ice with regards advice for people posting airguns...

There is nothing unusual with the posting of airguns.

They are everyday run of the mill items.

There are millions of them in the UK.

They are in the vast majority legally held and transported.

This was recognised by the two reviews into the attempts by the Royal Mail not to carry these items previously.

Both times the regulator told the Royal Mail that it must continue in offering the service to the public, in the interests of the public.

If people are not prohibited by law, or the terms and conditions of the carrier, from sending items via the carrier, whether those services utilise air freight is of no concern to the sender.

The abilities of the X-Ray operator to identify a prohibited item is of no concern to the sender.

Whether they jump up and piss themselves because there is an unaccompanied firearm in transit, be it at the machine or at any level of management, is of no concern of the sender.

None. Zilch. Zero.

They should not be excused one iota for being unable to transport perfectly every day legal items, without the fuss and palaver we see on this board week in and week out.

People dreaming up excuses for these anti carriers, or any erroneous conditions for the senders, are anti's without disguise.

If this lad has sent a prohibited item in error common sense should be used.

If the only reason it is prohibited is that it cannot be flown then send it by land.

If it cannot be sent by land and is only component within a larger package, then remove the offending article send on the rest with a charge commensurate with the trouble and retain the prohibited component.

If the item is untransportable and not divisible, then hold it at the sorting office where it has been stopped for collection or destruction within an appropriate time frame.

This is not rocket science.

This is not any more costly than the current debacle.

This is not unreasonable.

Anything else is a disgrace organised by antis and perpetuated by them. Nothing more.
    You will have to update me. Who said there was anything unusual in posting an Airgun?

A prohibited item has been posted along with a perfectly legal item, so thats the fail. Now as for the legally held Airgun, how does the the x-ray operative now it's legally held? Answer is, they don't. If all the parcel contains is a low powered airgun then the checks will show it for what it is and the item will be delivered.

Why would RM ignore the rules and send the parcel by road if it contains a prohibited item? Why should RM breakdown a parcel if it contains a prohibited item, and send on the remaining items? As for holding items for collection, they do, frequently!

The only way the "antis" can win is by people continuing to ignore the existing restrictions. They add more and more restrictions because the existing rules are do readily ignored.

You will have to update me. Who said there was anything unusual in posting an Airgun?

A prohibited item has been posted along with a perfectly legal item, so thats the fail. Now as for the legally held Airgun, how does the the x-ray operative now it's legally held? Answer is, they don't. If all the parcel contains is a low powered airgun then the checks will show it for what it is and the item will be delivered.

Why would RM ignore the rules and send the parcel by road if it contains a prohibited item? Why should RM breakdown a parcel if it contains a prohibited item, and send on the remaining items? As for holding items for collection, they do, frequently!

The only way the "antis" can win is by people continuing to ignore the existing restrictions. They add more and more restrictions because the existing rules are do readily ignored.
    The bit that said "Many people on many occassions have posted that this traffic is Air Freighted, yet people still use the service. Beggars believe(sic)."?

Why should they send it on, or break it down?

Because it's the right thing to do.

Oh and the X-ray operator and his ability is none of our concern - I'm sure I did state that above.

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post
    If I were an positive action kind of person I'd say what's needed is not to subvert their attention, but a completely legal attention grabbing protest.

Perhaps something like pound shop water pistols (5 for a quid) - or even a cardboard cut out, a tub of metal glitter and some thin PVA glue - dunked and rolled, all sent large letter size to the Royal Mail HQ offices addressed to the CEO, from all over the country, every day, with an accompanying letter of derision over their ridiculous policies, until the entire network grinds to a halt, or they relent in the face of common bloody sense.
    Good idea, when you into class tomorrow morning ask your teacher for the glitter and a couple of cornflake boxes. Make sure teacher does the cutting out though, don't want you hurting yourself.